PDA

View Full Version : other capture software for WDM

george_zhu
9th February 2004, 22:19
I have an avermedia EasyDVD PCI card (8x8 chip). Virtualdub, adobe premiere can capture at res at 320x240 or below. VirtualVCR can get it at 720x480. I guess that is because it use WDM whild virtualdub use VFW. (correct me if I am wrong). I use the driver from the avermedia.

However, there are some weird av sync problem in my capture video by virtualVCR. I got two-hour video. The beginning and the end is syncrounous but in the middle(0:40-1:30) audio lags about 2 or 3 seconds. I have already had the "dynamic resample" on. I test some 1-hr capture, also similar problem.

Can anyone suggest some other program based on WDM? I can test it and see wthether it is better. Thanks.

mustardman
9th February 2004, 22:31
You might like to try iuVCR. Shareware - 30day trial. AFAIK it uses directshow codecs.
It may do what you want.

jggimi
9th February 2004, 23:42
Using the BTWinCap driver, I've been able to get to 720x480 NTSC with Vdub and it's variants, with an Aver BT8x8A PCI card.

Neo Neko
10th February 2004, 11:46
Seems VirtualVCR is often overlooked, Directshow based, and Free.

Kb_cruncher
10th February 2004, 13:36
I would definatly recommend to carry on using VirtualVCR, it is by far the best capture app available(Vdub Synch is just as good but has no schedule possibility).
The small amount of desynch using "dynamic resample" can easyly be calculated and adjusted using either avisynth or virtualdub(mod).

I use "Avi Offset Calculator" http://darkfalz.hypermart.net/software to calculate the AVsynch offset.

george_zhu
10th February 2004, 16:04
Originally posted by Kb_cruncher
I would definatly recommend to carry on using VirtualVCR, it is by far the best capture app available(Vdub Synch is just as good but has no schedule possibility).
The small amount of desynch using "dynamic resample" can easyly be calculated and adjusted using either avisynth or virtualdub(mod).

I use "Avi Offset Calculator" http://darkfalz.hypermart.net/software to calculate the AVsynch offset.

Well. In my case, it is offset in the original captured clip (before any edit). Yes, I did turned "dynamic resample" on. Can this software help?

george_zhu
10th February 2004, 16:07
Originally posted by jggimi
Using the BTWinCap driver, I've been able to get to 720x480 NTSC with Vdub and it's variants, with an Aver BT8x8A PCI card.

It is great. Vdub does work with 720x480. I can even tune it to 740x480.

However, I got vertical border on both sides( about 14 lines on left and 6 lines right). I have no issue like this with virtualVCR and manufacturer's driver.

It seems this project has stopped. I would like to report this issue to the developer. Will they update or continue work on it?

Edit:
It gets quite unstable on my PC. I need to reinstall it from time to time. It is not on the list, so I use btspy to get a config file. Maybe it is not that compatible.

WildCelt
11th February 2004, 21:35
Originally posted by george_zhu
It is great. Vdub does work with 720x480. I can even tune it to 740x480.

However, I got vertical border on both sides( about 14 lines on left and 6 lines right). I have no issue like this with virtualVCR and manufacturer's driver.

I have the same problem with btwincap, that's why I switched to VirtualVCR. I've only done a few captures with it, but so far it seems pretty darn good.

BruceL
12th February 2004, 13:15
@Kb_cruncher
Have you tried VDub SyncVCR? It has time scheduling. You can find it at: http://www.virtualdub.net/download.htm

@WildCelt & george_zhu
Are those the borders you can adjust with the "BT8X8 Tweaker" in the Video controls? It fixes the left and right edges nicely.

WildCelt
12th February 2004, 14:24
Yeah, I could sort of get rid of then with the tweaker, but it was always flaky, and just ended up stretching the picture anyway (which I was trying to avoid).

Angelus
12th February 2004, 14:43
I on the other hand had those black bars using VirtualVCR and the BTWinCap drivers so I made the crossover to VDubSyncVCR and I can use the BT878 tweaker and the timer and everything works fine now.

Kb_cruncher
12th February 2004, 15:21
Originally posted by BruceL
@Kb_cruncher
Have you tried VDub SyncVCR? It has time scheduling. You can find it at: http://www.virtualdub.net/download.htm

@WildCelt & george_zhu
Are those the borders you can adjust with the "BT8X8 Tweaker" in the Video controls? It fixes the left and right edges nicely.

Thanks for the link BruceL, i have been wishing and hoping for these two to be comined for a long time now.Although i proberbly won't end up using it as i am about to switch to a phillips chip based card.
I also like VirtualVCR too much and have found the perfect way to combat any synch issues that crop up.

george_zhu
12th February 2004, 15:39

I also like VirtualVCR too much and have found the perfect way to combat any synch issues that crop up.

How did you do it?

george_zhu
12th February 2004, 15:59
@Kb_cruncher

@WildCelt & george_zhu

The VDub always told me some files are missing when I click "BT8x8 tweaker". Where can I find it?

Arachnotron
12th February 2004, 16:01

I have the same problem with btwincap, that's why I switched to VirtualVCR. I've only done a few captures with it, but so far it seems pretty darn good.

BTwincap is a driver
VirtualVCR is a capture program

How large those black borders are is determined by the driver only, and has nothing to do with the capture app, VirtualVCR.

The only exception to this is Virtualdub. Not because of the program itself, but because it includes a tweaker application, BTTweaker, which allows you to override the driver settings for the capture area. Unfortunatly, it only works for cards with the BT878 chip.

BruceL
12th February 2004, 17:24
@george_zhu
They are part of the DScaler project. I am at work right now and do not have access to all my information. I will check tonight to see if you have posted success finding them. If not I will post a link and file names you need when I get home tonight.

george_zhu
12th February 2004, 17:31
Originally posted by Arachnotron
BTwincap is a driver
VirtualVCR is a capture program

How large those black borders are is determined by the driver only, and has nothing to do with the capture app, VirtualVCR.

The only exception to this is Virtualdub. Not because of the program itself, but because it includes a tweaker application, BTTweaker, which allows you to override the driver settings for the capture area. Unfortunatly, it only works for cards with the BT878 chip.

Thanks. With the BTwincap driver, virtualVCR has the same border.

BruceL
13th February 2004, 01:21
@george_zhu
Go to the following web address and download the dtv212exe.zip file.
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/downloads.htm

Extract the following files and copy them to your working VDub folder.
dTVdrv95.vxd
dtvdrv.dll
dTVdrvNT.sys

If you are interested, ARSTechnica has some useful capturing tips in their guide located as follows:
http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-visual/videocapturing/vidcap-4.html

There is some set up info for the Tweaker.

If you haven't already, check out the Capturing Guide on Doom9.

Enjoy!

Kb_cruncher
13th February 2004, 13:31
How did you do it?

"Dynamically Resample" usually gets synch pretty close so its just a matter of introducing an audio delay to make it perfect.To calculate the amount of delay i use a little app called "Avi Offset Calculator" which can be found @ http://darkfalz.hypermart.net/software/

george_zhu
13th February 2004, 20:09
Thanks. It works pretty well.

I used to correct this by capture at 500x480 and use the "crop" in v-dub capture. But I guess tweak driver directly is better. Thx.

@george_zhu
Go to the following web address and download the dtv212exe.zip file.
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/downloads.htm

Extract the following files and copy them to your working VDub folder.
dTVdrv95.vxd
dtvdrv.dll
dTVdrvNT.sys

If you are interested, ARSTechnica has some useful capturing tips in their guide located as follows:
http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-visual/videocapturing/vidcap-4.html

There is some set up info for the Tweaker.

If you haven't already, check out the Capturing Guide on Doom9.

Enjoy!

BruceL
14th February 2004, 00:48
@george_zhu
I'm glad it is working out good for you.
Enjoy!
:)

unimatrixzer0
14th February 2004, 02:28
will all card cards that use WDM not work in vdub without additional plugins?

george_zhu
14th February 2004, 06:14
"Dynamically Resample" usually gets synch pretty close so its just a matter of introducing an audio delay to make it perfect.To calculate the amount of delay i use a little app called "Avi Offset Calculator" which can be found @ http://darkfalz.hypermart.net/software/

Thx. But it still does not work for me. So just select the file and calculate it? Do I need to do anything more?

Kb_cruncher
14th February 2004, 12:34
Thx. But it still does not work for me. So just select the file and calculate it? Do I need to do anything more?

Yes, you need to take the value that the offset calculator puts into the filename and enter it into either an avisynth script like so:-

=====================================================================
AviSource("E:\Video\YourCaptureFile(2004-01-25 at 20-25-24)_223ms.avi", True)

DelayAudio(-0.223)

then open it in virtualdub and save the wav file to a seperate file then change the "true" in the first line to "False" and delete the second line so that the audio is now diabled(you already saves the delayed wav file)and process the video only as you normally would.Don't save the wav until you have done all your cutting ect.

OR

You can open the captured avi directly into virtualdub and enter in the audio delay in the audio options dropdown list which does the same thing.

george_zhu
15th February 2004, 03:58
It does not work on me since the audio delay is not same all through the video, (no delay in the beginning and end, large lag in the middle). :(

Yes, you need to take the value that the offset calculator puts into the filename and enter it into either an avisynth script like so:-

AviSource("E:\Video\YourCaptureFile(2004-01-25 at 20-25-24)_223ms.avi", True)

DelayAudio(-0.223)

then open it in virtualdub and save the wav file to a seperate file then change the "true" in the first line to "False" and delete the second line so that the audio is now diabled(you already saves the delayed wav file)and process the video only as you normally would.Don't save the wav until you have done all your cutting ect.

OR

You can open the captured avi directly into virtualdub and enter in the audio delay in the audio options dropdown list which does the same thing.

Kb_cruncher
15th February 2004, 18:10
It does not work on me since the audio delay is not same all through the video, (no delay in the beginning and end, large lag in the middle). :(

Did you try it?what do you mean by large delay?
If you don't need the frame rate of your video to be exact(your not converting to dvd,vcd or svcd)then just set audio as master stream in virtualvcr and this will give you guaranteed synch.

BruceL
16th February 2004, 01:31
@george_zhu
Are you having audio sync problems with VirtualVCR or VDubSync?

george_zhu
18th February 2004, 17:04
Did you try it?what do you mean by large delay?
If you don't need the frame rate of your video to be exact(your not converting to dvd,vcd or svcd)then just set audio as master stream in virtualvcr and this will give you guaranteed synch.

Yes, I try it. What I mean is that your avisyth script just make the audio shift in some way. But my situation is that the video is sync in the beginning and the end but not sync in the middle.

I do want to convert it to svcd. That is very unfortunate. :(

Thank you very much anyway.

george_zhu
18th February 2004, 17:05
@george_zhu
Are you having audio sync problems with VirtualVCR or VDubSync?

virtualVCR

I have no problem with VDub. Actually I am using it now.