PDA

View Full Version : Convert text subs back to VobSubs?

chipzoller
31st January 2004, 16:32
Isn't there ANY way at all to convert text based subs like SSA or SRT back to bitmap format so VobSub can burn them (via AVS script) permanently to an AVI???

Chip

Liisachan
31st January 2004, 19:49
SRT/SSA -> VobSub (idx+sub) is possible with MaestroSBT + son2vobsub (http://www.anime.cz/s2v/) , a new tool by Yusaku.

That way is better than SubLog.

The only problem is, MaestroSBT doesn't support Unicode...

chipzoller
31st January 2004, 21:51
Great! Just what I was looking for. Hopefully future versions will support Unicode but this will do for now.

Thank you!

Liisachan
1st February 2004, 07:23
you're welcome chipzoller :)
but, just out of curiosity, in which scenario do you need to use IDX+SUB to hardsub AVI? I'm not a heavy AVS user, so tell me if i'm wrong, but I think that if what you want to do is just hardsubbing SRT/SSA, something like this would work too, and would be easier and the result would be more beautiful, wouldnt it?:confused:

LoadPlugin("...\vsfilter.dll")
AVISource("...\raw.avi")
TextSub("...\sub.ssa")

Like I said, i dont know well about AVS, so plz forgive me if I'm saying something ridiculous and/or too obvious...

chipzoller
1st February 2004, 15:11
Well, I'm attempting to do a high-quality Anime TV series and in that case you would want the subs on all the time.

Yes, I thought of plugging some lines like that into an AVS script but I didn't know how to go about it etc. I still don't know how to go about it. The problem is, if you use SSAs and you already have encoded your AVI, then you have to go back to VirtualDub, select your movie with the SSA filter and subs, then recompress the movie (I just did one pass, fast recompress) because Direct Stream Copy won't put the subs in.

Soooo, I wanted to know how to convert back to VobSub so I wouldn't have to go through all that. I want to extract my subs, edit them, and burn them in the AVI all in one encode.

Any advise?

Chip

Liisachan
2nd February 2004, 11:10
i'm not quite sure if i understand what you mean correctly, but if your purpose is higher quality, I'm afraid SSA->IDX+SUB conversion is not a good option, as the reuslt is slightly worse in quality than SSA soft/hard-sub. Softsub is a good option, which is lossless = the best quality possible, at the cost of high cpu load in playing back. And as for hardsub..... if I had to hardsub AVI with HQ subs, I would:
(1) Make a clean (ivtc'ed & filtered) huffyuv raw.
(2) (1)+SSA 1st pass (textsub.vdf VD Full processing mode)
(3) (1)+SSA 2nd pass (textsub.vdf VD Full processing mode)

chipzoller
2nd February 2004, 14:07
Ok, well do you know if I can add the SSA subs directly to an AVS script and feed it into VD (as in through GordianKnot)? I have looked for the syntax to follow but have not found it. Do you know if it is possible?

thanks,

Chip

Tri
2nd February 2004, 16:19
Easily:
LoadPlugin("\...\vsfilter.dll")
Textsub("\...\subtitles.ssa")

Vsfilter is here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/).

chipzoller
2nd February 2004, 17:32
Already have VSFilter and am loading it in my AVS script...where do I add the string for text subs?

And this will burn them permanently into the AVI?

Chip

chipzoller
2nd February 2004, 22:31
Nevermind, I figured it out. Had to remove the "#" to make it load.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions!

Regards,

Chip