PDA

View Full Version : Which DIVX player please?

lingus
28th January 2004, 14:15
I'm in the UK and am wanting a DVD divx player but with so many out there now and i have read so much on different players it's hard to judge which one is the best option.

Elta?
Yomanda?
Liteon?
Phillips?
NeuNeo? ( new i think from china )
And the list goes on.

I have many and various avi's all using different codecs so i guess compatabilty is premium.

Can anyone steer me in a direction??
Cheers
J

Top_Cat
28th January 2004, 16:10
I would buy the Elta 8883. I have this player and think its great. It worked straight out of the box without any problems or firmware flashes.

very simple to use as well

lingus
28th January 2004, 16:13
Thx Top-cat

Where did you buy the Elta from? i have seen pics of it, some people have said it is dog ugly is this correct?

Top_Cat
28th January 2004, 17:26
I am in the UK and purchased mine via ebay for about £80+P&P. It is pretty slimline and in silver. Here is an image of it I found on the web

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/32/af/ef_1.JPG

not be best picture but gives you an idea. Personally opinion (and that of my family) is that it's quite nice, not fantastic looking but certainly not "dog ugly" I think KiSS players get the award for being fat AND dog ugly ;)

lingus
28th January 2004, 17:28
Yeah i had seen the image, not that clear.

I'm interested to see a review of this machine if there is one? or maybe the NeuNeo which is currently being sold on ebay.

Thx
:)

Top_Cat
28th January 2004, 18:51
I'm not at home at the moment otherwise I would have taken a picture for you. The NeuNeo does look nicer from the images I have seen but all personal opinion and depends on features you want.

You also never know if NeuNeo will update their firmware very often. you might be stuck with a player that does not get problems fixed or features added

Wolfman
29th January 2004, 04:12
My vote is for Yamada .. strange tho .. the yamada remote looks exactly the same as that one in the picture.. ands its a bit clunky. Player is great tho. Sold out on ebuyer & Amazon b4 christmas.

lingus
29th January 2004, 09:39
What is the Yamada based on wolfman?

Top_Cat
29th January 2004, 12:32
The Yamad the the ESS so not as many features as the newer chips

lingus
29th January 2004, 12:48
So does that mean the newer chips are better? Therefore do not consider the Yamada?

Top_Cat
29th January 2004, 14:00
The player with the MT1389DE (Elta 8883,Amstrad 3016dx,Irradio Dvx 103,Ascomtec DVD-3004,Rimax NEW) chip are newer than the ESS chip players. the MT1389DE has Divx Pro features.

lingus
29th January 2004, 14:24
Hmmmm i may have to consider the MT1389DE series of players, even though the Yamada maybe a good player but has less compatability.

Wolfman
29th January 2004, 16:18
What is the Yamada based on wolfman?
Its on the top highest shelf on my entertainment stack, But whats that got to do with anything?? :(

lingus
29th January 2004, 16:20
Eh??

I meant chipset but it has been answered, have decided to bid on Ebay for a Elta 8883.
I hope it's ok :)

Wolfman
29th January 2004, 17:01
They get you on the postage and "security" etc. on ebay.
And dont call me Shirley.:)

ronnylov
3rd February 2004, 11:23
Originally posted by Top_Cat
The player with the MT1389DE (Elta 8883,Amstrad 3016dx,Irradio Dvx 103,Ascomtec DVD-3004,Rimax NEW) chip are newer than the ESS chip players. the MT1389DE has Divx Pro features.

Does any of the MT1389DE players support divx with subtitles and if they support subtitles, do they support swedish characters (Ňń÷ŚšŲ)?

Zhnujm
3rd February 2004, 19:10
No and No :(

twindine
4th February 2004, 21:20
I have just purchased the Rimax model and it seems OK. Doesn't support all subtitles but I'm happy with it. I got it direct from the manufacturer on http://www.rmxdirect.co.uk

Zhnujm
4th February 2004, 21:28
Originally posted by twindine
Doesn't support all subtitles but I'm happy with it.

You mean it does suport some types of subtitles (with AVI files) ?

len0x
5th February 2004, 18:14
Originally posted by Wolfman
My vote is for Yamada ..

Did you manage to solve your problems with XviDs produced by AutoGK on Yamada ?

Wolfman
5th February 2004, 18:34
Yes and NO .. heres some results (coupla posts down)
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69500

Summary divx &xvid work
xvid not with gmc & qpel
divx partially gmc, not qpel

I have used fairuse0.36c to get some good looking encodes in xvid tho.
(shame on me):rolleyes:

len0x
5th February 2004, 18:45
I have used fairuse0.36c to get some good looking encodes in xvid tho.
(shame on me):rolleyes:

which XviD codec was used I wonder?
Did you flashed new firmware since you had problems with those rips from AutoGK ?

Wolfman
5th February 2004, 19:25
Fairuse has its own internal xvid codec ??
I flash the firmware within a week of a new one, about twice. Most recent 19/12/03 so fairly new. I have experimented with the newest xvid build and found that the arts1 thru arts4 profile/level as well as the Advanced simple work fine. (I dont know what ARTS1 thru ARTS4 are, or how they differ from others ).

len0x
5th February 2004, 19:36
Fairuse has its own internal xvid codec ??
I flash the firmware within a week of a new one, about twice. Most recent 19/12/03 so fairly new. I have experimented with the newest xvid build and found that the arts1 thru arts4 profile/level as well as the Advanced simple work fine. (I dont know what ARTS1 thru ARTS4 are, or how they differ from others ).

Aha, so its firmware then - that's a positive sign. It looks to me like original XviD support in ESS-based players was based on 0.9.2 stable and therefore all players with that initial firmware were unable to play last spring/summer's builds of XviD. For instance I have one ESS-based player for testing (not mentioned on the board yet) and it has serious issues with summer's XviD (haven't tried 1.0). Have a look at this samples (30-40Mb each):

http://len0xmirror1.serveftp.net/~len0x/samples/largo.avi
http://len0xmirror1.serveftp.net/~len0x/samples/608.avi

I can't play them properly. Second just outputs black picture (this might be player related though), but in first I can see scrolling credits leaving white traces like it has quantizer of 20! (while it's just 2/3 quants...)

Zhnujm
5th February 2004, 21:07
Both files produce some very strange artefacts with the Yamada 6100.
Never seen such thing before.
Encodings with Xvid RC1 run without problems on the Yamada.

len0x
5th February 2004, 21:50
Same here! codec is Koepi 24/06. May be its custom matrixes...

Aqa
6th February 2004, 15:30
Originally posted by Zhnujm
Encodings with Xvid RC1 run without problems on the Yamada.

Thatís strange I canít seem to get my RC1 encodings to play at all(havenít got any problems with earlier builds), I got the latest firmware update, and I donít use any q-pel- gmc or more than 1 b-frame, (I use Gknot-vdubmod to encode)..

What settings do you use when encoding with the RC1?

Zhnujm
6th February 2004, 16:12
I just encoded a movie with standard settings and disabled packed bitstream, 2bframes. Runs perfect.
You havent used any aspect ratio settings ?

len0x
6th February 2004, 16:17
Originally posted by Zhnujm
I just encoded a movie with standard settings and disabled packed bitstream, 2bframes. Runs perfect.

Can someone try custom matrixes with 1.0 on Yamada player ?

Aqa
6th February 2004, 18:16
Originally posted by len0x
Can someone try custom matrixes with 1.0 on Yamada player ?

Yeah I will give a try tonight! I will post the result tomorrow morning! Iíll try the hvs-best-picture, since itís the one usually use!

Aqa
6th February 2004, 19:32
Ok just did a small test encode of a single vob using RC1, default settings, except for disabling packed bitstream, and using 1 B-frame and of course the hvs-best-picture matrix. And the result was UGLY, although it did play, there was some kind of white distorted pixels that seemed to intensify whenever there was motion in the picture, in some scenes where there was almost no movement it looked almost good, but the slightest movement and the distortion was right back. The strange thing is that the distortion seems to concentrate around movement; as a result if you look at a person talking you will get the distortion around the head, while the rest of the picture including the background looks ok.

I guess the conclusion to using custom matrixes with 1.0 on Yamada player is a big NO NO! Just to be sure though Iíll redo the encode without the custom matrix!

len0x
6th February 2004, 19:35
Originally posted by Aqa
I guess the conclusion to using custom matrixes with 1.0 on Yamada player is a big NO NO! Just to be sure though Iíll redo the encode without the custom matrix!

Apparently not only 1.0 but any version. Seems like it's ESS chip problem, not even a player.

Zhnujm
6th February 2004, 23:04
Just made a little test with my players:
(Xvid RC1)

elta 8883 (Mediatek):
hvsgood - ok
hvsbetter - ok
hvsbest - ok
lowbitrate - ok
verylowbitrate - no picture
ultralowbitrate - no picture
cganimation - no picture

Yamada 6100( ESS):
hvsgood - artefacts
hvsbetter - artefacts
hvsbest - artefacts
lowbitrate - artefacts
verylowbitrate - ok
ultralowbitrate - ok
cganimation - ok

Aqa
7th February 2004, 14:49
So I guess the overall conclusion using XviD RC1 on the Yamada 6100 (ESS) is: No Q-PEL, No GMC and no custom matrixes (some seems to work though).everything else should work fine! Correct me if Iím wrong but I havenít had player for more then 3 days so I havenít really tested it that much..

len0x
7th February 2004, 15:43
Very useful info, guys! I guess I'll be updating AutoGK to make it work for ESS-based players...

twindine
9th February 2004, 14:23
It doesn't support some languages namely Portuguese which my wife is interested in.

SiliconSoul
19th February 2004, 21:58
what is the best Divx player in the us? that has feature comparable to the Elta 8883 ?

what about this player?
http://www.neodigits.com/shtmls/divxdvd/

Wolfman
20th February 2004, 03:09
Nice player..they even mention GMC and Qpel.. Buy it! its the Law!

SiliconSoul
20th February 2004, 04:05
nah... im going to build a HTPC. worth the money to be able to encode and not worry that it not going to play. also get subtitles.

CruNcher
20th February 2004, 13:24
@SiliconSould

http://www.neodigits.com/shtmls/divxdvd/
that Player is another MediaTek Based Player you can read more on them and compatibility with XviD in the MTK thread. What me shocks is the price for that Player 185$ damn thats alot. New tests based on the latest XviD and the Extra Details Profile will be conducted soon so stay tuned :)

Aqa
20th February 2004, 18:58
Did any of you guys read the official specs on the new Yamada 6600 (http://www.umax.de/WebNew/Produkte/9_HomeEntertainment/DVX-6600/DVX-6600.htm)

It looks way superior to the 6000 that I bought 2 weeks ago :angry:, It seems to support Vorbis - OGG, and WMA, Mpeg4 ASP which should mean GMC & Q-PEL (XviD), and itís about the same price as a paid for the 6000! I havenít been able to find any info on the Chip this player is using.

amango
20th February 2004, 20:06
The Yamada DVX 6600 will use the Mediatek 1389DE-chipset (same as Elta 8883).

MonsterMaxx
28th February 2004, 18:51
do any of them have network ports? All my AV resides on a big raid

SiliconSoul
28th February 2004, 21:09
anyone ever consider that linksys wireless media access point... or what ever it is... is that a cheaper viable option? as to HTPC or a standalone that will not play some xvids or divx.
assuming you have wireless router already! doesn't everyone?! i do! :D

thop
4th March 2004, 15:06
so none of these players can display subtitles? :( also what about xvid with ac3?

oddball
5th March 2004, 05:40
Subs due in next firmware update and yes ac3 works with xvid

Wolfman
5th March 2004, 15:09
xvid with ac3 sound is no problem for yamada 6100, nor I suspect many others.