PDA

View Full Version : question about the SRT format

toraneko
22nd January 2004, 10:21
I'd like to know where could I find a list of all available tags.

More specifically, I'd like to know if there is a tag for "forced subtitles".

McPoodle
23rd January 2004, 23:50
I've never seen a page spelling out the SubRip format in detail. The following is top-of-my-head knowledge obtained from skimming the SubRip source code a few months back:

First Line:
1 00:02:26,407 --> 00:02:31,356 X1:100 X2:100 Y1:100 Y2:100
* Subtitle Number
* Start Time, in HH:MM:SS,MSS (that last is milliseconds) format
* ' --> ' literal
* End Time, in HH:MM:SS,MSS format
* optional coordinates for subtitle, in 3-digit decimal. I assume the coordinates are in pixels, but I'm not sure

Second (and optional Third) Line(s):
<font color="#00ff00">Detta handlar om min storebrors</font>
<b><i><u>kriminella beteende och foersvinnade.</u></i></b>
* Plain text, with carriage return indicated by going to the next line (as opposed to using a tag). There's a maximum of two lines per subtitle.
* HTML-style formatting tags for Bold, Italics, and Underline formatting. Tags only appear at beginning and end of line (you can't have an italicized word in the middle of a line, for example).
* Lesser-used color changes accomplished using HTML Font tag. This is also only applied at beginning and end of line.

Line After That:

* blank line to separate subtitles

There are no other tags, and certainly none for forced subtitles. There are very few formats that support forced subtitles correctly, and I know of no freeware or shareware subtitle programs that will rip subtitles from a DVD and correctly flag forced subtitles in any format. Note however that if you want to rip only forced subtitles that SubRip will do that.

toraneko
24th January 2004, 12:52
ok. thanks for the answer.

so, vobsub is not "standard", as it let <i> tags not only being at the start of a line.