PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not seeing normal subs?

BlueFlame
21st January 2004, 21:57
I have never had to add or learn about adding subtitles in the 4 years of creating DivX backups.
When watching an English film, and when a particular scene would have a foreigner that would speak a different language, there would be English subs. I did nothing different then any of my other rips. The subs that were "in" the movie have never had to have any special processes to keep them. I always thought vobsub was for adding a particular subtitle in your language for the entire movie.

Well, when I ripped a older movie, Red Dawn, the "in" movie subs are not being shown. I spent several hours jumping around many of doom9's vobsub guides, and have not found any that I understand for my situation.

Could someone please tell me what I'm dealing with and possibly a specific guide that I should use?

Thanks for any help. :)

BlueFlame
23rd January 2004, 01:58
Anyone? Please

ejones
26th January 2004, 02:45
Can someone please advise on this one. I have EXACTLY the same problem, would you believe with the same movie - Red Dawn. I too have tried everything, but no sub-titles. It's particularly annoying in this movie, as there are long periods of Russian dialogue which should appear with English sub-titles.

Any help much appreciated.

dvd_master
27th January 2004, 02:32
Are you saying there is hard subtitles on the video that are not showing up when you rip (in which case they would be forced)

or that there is no subtitle stream in the video after ripping, and the subtitles aren't hardpressed?

BlueFlame
27th January 2004, 18:06
Originally posted by dvd_master
Are you saying there is hard subtitles on the video that are not showing up when you rip (in which case they would be forced)

or that there is no subtitle stream in the video after ripping, and the subtitles aren't hardpressed?
Yes, the subtitles are normally shown on the video, but are gone after a rip. If I rip with DVDDecrypter in File Mode and choose either Movie Only or All Files I lose the movies subtitles. ISO Mode keeps the subtitles, but I lose them, of course, when I rip from the ISO.
So these would be FORCED subtitles?

Could someone please direct me to a specific guide?

I use Gordian Knot to setup and encode.

Thank you. :)

ejones
28th January 2004, 05:30
For the same movie - Red Dawn - I ripped with both Smartripper and DVDDecrypter. No subtitles present in the resultant VOB files.

pepipocpoc
12th February 2004, 23:06
sometimes, some sups-subs are not "registered" in the ifo file (I think about Dr No, From Russia with love...). You can use vobedit and choose "demux all subp streams", hidden subs should be demuxed, showing their stream number -there certainly is a quickest way, but I don't know it. If using subrip, you can check "show all 32 streams" and choose the stream you want. Hope it helps.

BlueFlame
4th March 2004, 03:52
I don't understand this. Is there a guide or can someone that knows what they are doing walk me through? Thank you.

jakes111111
4th March 2004, 04:03
same with ronin. english subs when they speak french.

problem is compounded as the only subtitle stream i can find is full english, ie for every word spoken in the entire movie, so now im trying to find a way to drop the subs for all the scenes except those in french. id probably be able to do this ok except subtitle workshop will not open either idx or sub files from vobsub. so i think im stuck with rewriting the entire french scenes and timing them, manually.