PDA

View Full Version : Need good software to make subs

radorn
20th January 2004, 03:10
Hello:

I have been using this fantastic web and looking arround the fourums for a long time but (obviously) I haven't wrote any post before. So hello all the folks in this forums.

I'm from Spain so my English may be a bit unaccurate some times :D.

Well, I'm looking for a software to make/edit subs that allows me to load a video file (avi, ogm or mkv, preferably) and edit the subtitles on the video window, selecting positions, styles, and those things graphically.

I tried Subtitule Workshop but I found it insufficient for what I need.

Can anyone tell me of something closer to what I need?

(I would be great if it could also save/export to DVD sub format, for authoring :))

Thanks

dvd_master
21st January 2004, 16:28
I think what you may need is Virtual Dub (free) and Substation Alpha (also free).

Get the subtitle plugin for virtualdub, and then you can add the SSA script over your video and see what it looks like, choose colors, etc.

Open your vid. in Virtual Dub, go to Filters, and add the subtitle one. Then in the preview window, it will show the subtitles.

radorn
21st January 2004, 19:10
Thanks for the reply:

I have and use VirtualDub and I also have but don't use SubStation ALpha (mainly because I don't have a Genlock to display the video while I create the script). But I need something to create subs WHILE I can see the video on-screen, I don't have an existent script to display so this is not useful for me.

I'm also not interested in "burning" the subs onto the video stream and reencode, which is what I suppose this plugin is for, but rather mux them into a proper subtitle stream, for Ogg, Matroska or DVD.

Thanks again, but I'm looking for something else.

Kaiousama
21st January 2004, 22:17
You can try my Medusa subtitle station (http://forum.doom9.it/viewtopic.php?t=3775), the application won't let you place the subtitle graphically on the screen but is able to display the subtitle you're creating directly on your destination videoclip.

The subtitle editing mode is very similar to SubStation Alpha but you don't need a genlock and you have a wider audio/video support (all directshow playable videoclip are supported for video input).

It's all i can do ATM. Bye

radorn
23rd January 2004, 01:28
Thanks Kiousama

I'll take a look at it :)

radorn
23rd January 2004, 02:54
uhh... I can't download the program, the link seems to be broken.
I tried google, but all the sites that say they have it give a link either to that post in the forum or the program itself so I couldn't try it yet :S

Kaiousama
23rd January 2004, 21:17
The link seems to be down during the previous days, now it's allright, retry to donload it.

Some pople have experienced problems using download managers or opera web browser, in this case download it via another browser (from my pc all's gone right with IE and Netscape)

Please send me a report of your impression when you tesdted Medusa ;)

Regards