PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Subtitle viewer

aftertaste
18th January 2004, 01:34
Heres my problem i make movie only dvds and some movies like star wars for instance has the in movie captions built into the subtitles instead of the video stream. Although this is not very often it annoys me when i burn a movie and somewhere in the movie they start talking a different languange and the captions don't appear. I need a tool that i can view the subtitles to see if this is the case before i move on to burning. I use dvd dycrypter to extract the video, sound, and subtitles. I've d/l'd a few tools that supposely views subtitles but i get errors saying their an unsupported format. Wondering if dvd dycrypter is causing these errors or whats going on. The subtitles rip as .SUB files but still refuse to open in a # of different apps i have tried.

aftertaste
19th January 2004, 00:06
hummm i find it hard to believe i'm the only person trying to view subtitles that are ripped from the original dvd. There has to be something out there that reads them. Or maybe a program to convert them to a format that is readable. I've now tried 10 different programs and not one will open the subtitles that i ripped directly from the original dvd.

aftertaste
21st January 2004, 22:17
Doesn't anyone have any hints or answers to my problem. I don't wanna start burning dvds till i can view these subtitles. I can't understand why i'm having such a hard time finding a program to view a simple subtitle. I've searched and search these forms and i can't find anything!! Hasn't anyone ripped a subtitle using stream processing within dvd drycrypter. And why is it that every single subtitle viewing program refuse to view them. This is driving me nuts.

smiller667
21st January 2004, 23:40
Hi & sorry for not following up earlier :) ... basically try not to extract your subs using dvddecrypter. .sub files can be anything - text-based, vob-based (like .idx/.sub vobsubs).
If you want to author your dvd using ifoedit, you would need .sup files -
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68825 describes how to obtain these from a given set of vobs. You can also demux them from a vob using vobedit, but some people have reported problems doing so.

idx/sub files can be displayed at runtime (e.g. for an avi) using dvobsub, can be converted to other formats (.sup, see link above), or can be ocr'd to text files using subresync or subrip.

ifoedit .sup files can be opened using srt2sup ...

Good luck.

aftertaste
22nd January 2004, 01:40
I use dvd drycrypter in stream processing mode. Here is an example of what i get after i rip.

VTS_01 - Stream Information.txt

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1 - 0x20 - Subtitle - English - [SP 01~ W] - DELAY 149249ms.SUB

VTS_01_1 - 0x21 - Subtitle - English - [SP 01~ L] - DELAY 149249ms.SUB

VTS_01_1 - 0x80 - Audio - AC3 - 6ch - 48kHz - DRC - English - DELAY -66ms.AC3

VTS_01_1 - 0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 - 720x480 (NTSC) - 16~9 - Letterboxed.M2V

The .SUB files just will not open in any viewing program I have been able to find. Is there a way to convert them to .txt. All i need to do is look in them and i can figure out weather the misc. captions are built into the video stream or if it is one of the rare movies where they build them into the subtitles. I have done over 300 movies and only ran into this problem about 5 times. It would be really nice to be able to do a quick check before i burn them. ANd thx for replying. I have been going in circles and not getting anywhere.

btw, I use Scenarist to author my dvds. Also in this example the sub files have a 149249ms delay. I wonder if by looking at that and the file size i might be able to tell if it is just a part in the movie where the language was different and they use a subtitle to insert the caption instead of being built into the video stream. If memory serves me correct this example did have captions at one point in the movie.