PDA

View Full Version : Good subtitle viewer other than vsfilter?

Ryokurin
12th January 2004, 02:32
I've had this problem since around vsfilter 2.24 and its starting to get to the point that its starting to severely hold me back and become extremely annoying, since it dosnt seem like it will be fixed I rather try something else.

With any format other than ogm or mkvs VSfilter crashes with an C++ runtime error or an external exception E06D7363 on any file that is burned onto a CD. Play it on a hard drive, its fine. the last version that worked fine was Dvobsub 2.18, after that the above occurs. I was fine in sticking to the old version, but theres tons of things that the newer ones do that I would like to do, such as use it on matstroka files, color and so forth.

Anyways, is there any alternative out that can take the place of vsfilter and still look somewhat good?

Kurtnoise
12th January 2004, 06:24
I don't think so....But it's very strange your problem.:eek:

unmei
12th January 2004, 07:13
i know suggesting this is a bit kick in the head, but i am quite convinced reinstalling windows - i mean a real, clean install, would solve your problem. Then when coming to the point of installing DS filters ask you for each individually: do i know what it does?, do i really need it?

Well there is subtitDS but it won't work with matroska and is also otherwise quite limited compared to VSfilter.

Ryokurin
12th January 2004, 11:53
Originally posted by unmei
i know suggesting this is a bit kick in the head, but i am quite convinced reinstalling windows - i mean a real, clean install, would solve your problem. Then when coming to the point of installing DS filters ask you for each individually: do i know what it does?, do i really need it?

Well there is subtitDS but it won't work with matroska and is also otherwise quite limited compared to VSfilter.

I've done it on two machines. Both have been reinstalled upteen times. (I've had this problem for months) About the only thing that is common on the machines is that one has a geforce 3 ti 200 and the other has a Geforce 4 mx440. I've installed it manually following the instructions posted at Blight's Zoom Player site, and have tried codec packs alone like Defiler's and the matroska pack, all on fresh installs with nothing else even installed on the machine other than windows updates and basic drivers.

I've checked the forums on sourceforge and there is at least two or three more people who have the same problem but I guess its kind of hard to debug as they have kind of been ignored and like I said before, any version lower than 2.23 works fine.

I just figured out that media player classic works fine with its built in subtitles, and thats a good enough stopgap on my main machine, still gotta figure it out however as on one I rather use zoomplayer as its connected to a TV exclusively. Thanks for your input however.

Kyo
13th January 2004, 03:36
I had reported the same problem some time ago :eek: but maybe gabest has not seen the post or didn't found the solution yet.... it even happens in the mplayerc and also I have a G-force card... maybe this is the problem ? until now I just copy the movie+subs to harddisk.

ppera2
13th January 2004, 16:04
Try DivXG400.

unmei
13th January 2004, 18:06
a regular GC having influence in our video play ability. Makes me worry, but also explains me why i never had this problem (my systems are so damn unstable i have experienced about every xvid/vdm/mpc/tcmp crash tere is) - my GCs are radeon, matrox, banshee but no Nvidia.

RedDwarf69
17th January 2004, 08:30
Originally posted by Ryokurin
With any format other than ogm or mkvs VSfilter crashes with an C++ runtime error or an external exception E06D7363 on any file that is burned onto a CD.

The problem happens if subs are muxed on avi? And if the file is mkv or ogm but subs aren't muxed?

Ryokurin
26th January 2004, 00:22
Sorry for not replying, i've been away for a bit.

The problem happens anywhere. Only on an OGM file or a MKV file will it work right if the file is on a CD. everything else crashes it with the above error in any player the only variations being if its a C++ error or the E06D7363 error.

Usually with AVI files I just place an srt file along with the avi in a folder if you remove the srt file or copy it to the hard disk first its fine. At first I was under the impression that it did it everywhere until I tried an MKV and OGM that was muxed and it worked fine.

Also as an update, and to prove that its not just an Nvidia problem I just purchased an 9600xt formatted the unit installed the critical updates for XP along with the windows media 9 codecs and DirectX 9b then immediately installed the defiler pack. The same thing occured.

Ryokurin
26th January 2004, 04:15
Originally posted by ppera2
Try DivXG400.

That does work with normal files, but not with ogms and mkvs. It does look much better then what ffdshow does however. Thanks.

BTW, this brings up something. is there a way to specify vsfilter for matstroka files only and leave others alone? this would be a decent compromise.

therealjoeblow
3rd March 2004, 19:51
Originally posted by Ryokurin
Sorry for not replying, i've been away for a bit.

The problem happens anywhere. Only on an OGM file or a MKV file will it work right if the file is on a CD. everything else crashes it with the above error in any player the only variations being if its a C++ error or the E06D7363 error.

Usually with AVI files I just place an srt file along with the avi in a folder if you remove the srt file or copy it to the hard disk first its fine. At first I was under the impression that it did it everywhere until I tried an MKV and OGM that was muxed and it worked fine.

Also as an update, and to prove that its not just an Nvidia problem I just purchased an 9600xt formatted the unit installed the critical updates for XP along with the windows media 9 codecs and DirectX 9b then immediately installed the defiler pack. The same thing occured.

For what it's worth, same problem here, 2 machines. Crashes mpc, zoomplayer, whatever with any subs in the xxx.idx + xxx.sub (in a rar file) burned to cd - otherwise, all files play back fine from harddrive. VSfilter.dll=2.32, VobSub package=2.23,

machine 1:
asus mb w/via chipset
ati aiw radeon 9000 pro
win2ksp4

machine 2:
soyo mb w/intel 440bx chipset
ati radeon 9200
win2ksp4

I've trouble shot this as follows:

1) uninstall the vobsub package
2) unregister vsfilter and delete it
3) now .avi files with .idx/.sub(in .rar) on CD play fine, no subs (as expected, since there's no filter installed now)
4) but, .mkv files with muxed subs fail to play, 'cannot find filter" error (again, as expected)
5) now install DirevtVobSub package (2.23), and files in (3) above now play fine from HD or CD with subs displaying, .mkv's same error
6) copy vsfilter to winnt\system32, and regsvr32 it, now .mkv files play fine with subs displaying, .avi's with .sub/.idx (in .rar) play fine from HD with subs displaying, but crash with MS Visual C++ error when playing from CD
7) if I reinstall the direcvobsub package now over itself, then the .avi's with separate subs play properly from CD, but now .mkv's won't play (cannot find filter error again).
8) if I re-regsvr32 the vsfilter.dll file, then I'm back to #6 above, and into an infinite loop...
9) so, now after point 8 above, I've got .mkv files working - if I uninstall directvobsub, then the .mkv's stop working, even though vsfilter.dll stays in winnt\system32, it seems the uninstall of directvobsub unregisters vsfilter too.

So, I've narrowed it down to the vsfilter.dll and DirectVobSub.ax, conflicting with eachother, and overriding eachother's regsvr32 settings.

to get things to work properly in all cases, I've had install both directvobsub 2.23 and vsfilter 2.32, and make 2 batch files, one that runs "regsvr32 vsfilter.dll" and the other "regsvr32 DirectVobSub.ax," - now before I watch a matroska file I run the first one, and after finishing that movie, run the 2nd one so that all other files will play back fine until the next .mkv viewing, when I have to do the process all over again. What a pain.

QUESTION:
---------
Anyone know if vsfilter is capable of taking over *all* of the sub formats (.srt and the .idx/.sub (in .rar))? I can't figure out how to get it to take over, if it was ever intended to...

Ryokurin
4th March 2004, 00:10
Its actually a problem with MFC in visual studio 2003. This is what Gabest posted about it at sourceforge.

It turned out to be a bug of MFC shipped with vs2k3. There are a few CFile functions which throw an unexpected exception when there is no last accessed time set for a file.

I've did some research myself on it and found it to be true.

Now, if that means that its slated to be fixed, or can be fixed I dont know. Hopefully it will be soon. If I was a programmer I would do it myself, but oh well.

therealjoeblow
15th March 2004, 19:00
If anyone's still following this thread, and hasn't checked for a new version lately, it's fixed. After some detailed troubleshooting I figured out that apparently VSFilter.dll (which *is* designed to completely replace the older dvobsub.ax, by the way) was calling on unrar.dll to decompress rar'd subs to their source directory - that's why it worked fine on harddrives, or with CD's where subs were either embedded in matroska containers, or were *not* rar'd, but crashed with rar'd subs (because the CD is a read-only media).

Gabest released v-2.33 about a week ago that resolves this issue once and for all! Get rid of the old VobSub v-2.23, copy and register the new vsfilter.dll and you're good to go with all various formats of subs on all media types once again (***if you are using compressed subs, don't forget that you'll also need to get unrar.dll from www.rarsoft.com and put in the same directory as where you register vsfilter.dll***).

Kyo
15th March 2004, 20:01
Yep, I also can confirm the BugFix, Gabest the Best!