PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles with Vsfilter / MPC

major_kerensky
11th January 2004, 10:30
Hi

I just switched from Bsplayer to Media Player Classic and changed from VobSub 2.23 to Vsfilter 2.32 and there are some issues which I have not been able to resolve on my own.

1. Direct VobSub / Vsfilter has an option to "extend subtitles to 16:9". With these option the subtitles are displayed so that I can watch 16:9 / 2,35:1 Movies on my 16:9 TV in fullscreen and still see the subtitles - they are not below the displayed picture . Is there a way to set this option in the Media Player Classic subtitle renderer ?

2. During the setup while Vsfilter and the internal subtitle renderer of MPC were active I noticed that the size of both subtitles was not identical although both were set to the same size - Times New Roman, Bold, 22. I had to decrease the size in Vsfilter to 16 in order to achieve identical results. The subtitles in question were plain, external srt-subtitles. Is this a known bug ?

3. If I try to access Vsfilter settings without the prior installation of direct vobsub by executing rundll32 vsfilter.dll,DirectVobSub I get an error message telling that the modul vsfilter.dll was not found although it is properly registrated. If I install VobSub before installing Vsfilter I can change the Vsfilter properties by using the old VobSub configure link, but after each exit I get a rundll error message.

Bye

Major Kerensky

gabest
11th January 2004, 15:20
1. With mpc it would have no meaning, it can use the whole client area inside the window, no need to add the black borders to the picture.

2. If you are using ssa you can set the resolution of the virtual coordinate system with the playresx/y parameters, but with srt and other formats some default value is used, and that may not be the same between dvobsub and mpc.

3. If you run vsfilter.dll,DirectVobSub while having dvobsub.ax registered, or dvobsub.ax,Configure while having vsfilter.dll registered, they will load eachothers settings and may crash.

major_kerensky
11th January 2004, 23:33
Originally posted by gabest
1. With mpc it would have no meaning, it can use the whole client area inside the window, no need to add the black borders to the picture.

Thanks for your reply Gabest but I think there may be a misunderstanding concerning my first question. I will try to illustrate the problem

1. Subtitles as displayed by Vsfilter when watching a 2.35:1 / 1.85:1 Movie on my 4:3 Monitor :

black upper border

Movie
Subtitles
black lower border

2. Subtitles as displayed by MPC when watching the same movie
black upper border

Movie

......Sub..........
titles

Since I normally use my TV-Out to watch movies on my 16:9 TV the subtitles which would be in the black bar area on a 4:3 are not displayed fully when using MPC. Is there any way to configure MPC so that it displays the subtitles the same way as Vsfilter does in the first example ?

Bye & TIA

gabest
11th January 2004, 23:46
Currently the margins are measured from the sides of the destination area, which is the whole client area for mpc, and the video area for vsfilter (but there you can make this bigger by adding the borders). Try to adjust the vertical position in the options to move the subtitles upwards a bit.

major_kerensky
12th January 2004, 00:47
Originally posted by gabest
Currently the margins are measured from the sides of the destination area, which is the whole client area for mpc, and the video area for vsfilter (but there you can make this bigger by adding the borders). Try to adjust the vertical position in the options to move the subtitles upwards a bit.

Done - when I change the vertical placement to 85 % they are displayed in the viewable part of the screen. Unfortunately in that case subtitles in 4:3 movies / series are way to close too the centre of the screen which I find annoying. So it seems that my choice at the moment is to use vsfilter and to give up features like beeing to able to change the subtitle language with a hotkey or via winlirc or to readjust the vertical placement in mpc each time I watch a subtitled movie.

Could you consider to add a "Limit subtitles to video area"-option for a future release of mpc ?

Bye