PDA

View Full Version : Help with MPlayer and Matroska needed

tiki4
8th January 2004, 17:19
Hi folks,

I just managed to compile MPlayer 1.0pre3 on my SuSE 9.0 distro yesterday evening. Well, I was able to play my first two MKV files with XviD video and AAC/Vorbis audio and also could see some subs.

My question: What about the current support of Matroska in MPlayer? Are there any resources I can read up (I didn't find anything informative so far). Specifically I like to know how to enable chapters in Mplayer (if possible).

Thanks for your help in advance.

tiki4

ultimatebilly
8th January 2004, 17:38
All I found (had not much time to search, at work...) is this:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge-gui.html#chaptereditor

I'm absolutely sure that MPlayer supports chapters in mkv files...

Hope it helps!

tiki4
8th January 2004, 18:00
Thanks, man,

I'll look into it. [How could I overlook that being twice a day on Moritz Bunkus' site?]

tiki4

Edit: O.K., I knew how to make them (the file has chapters) but I still don't know how to use them during playback in MPlayer. Hm, I'll research further.

Gaenya
9th January 2004, 23:25
Doesnt the -chapter from the command line works??

tiki4
10th January 2004, 18:43
Yes, -chapter works, but what about seeking by chapter? I found out now that MPlayer has lots of seeking options, but obviously none by chapter. The corresponding buttons from the GUI do nothing.

tiki4

Mosu
12th January 2004, 22:38
Originally posted by tiki4
Yes, -chapter works, but what about seeking by chapter? I found out now that MPlayer has lots of seeking options, but obviously none by chapter. The corresponding buttons from the GUI do nothing.

tiki4

Sorry, that's a mplayer limitation I'm afraid. The chapter thingy from the GUI only works with DVD chapters. Neither OGMs with chapters nor Matroska chapters are supported this way yet. Maybe I'll look into this further, but no promises ;)

tiki4
13th January 2004, 09:44
Thanks, Mosu.

Now I know that I'm not totally stupid. I read the documentation and news page of MPlayer and didn't find any hint about that.It's a little bit hard to get started with MPlayer...

tiki4