PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Classic - Great But Won't Terminate Properly & Causing Slowdowns

callmeace
7th January 2004, 19:56
Firstly, thankyou for Media Player Classic, it has done a great job for playing my videos. The only problem I have is that when I choose to close the player it actually stays resident in memory. I cannot see it when choosing CTRL-ALT-DEL , but when I use something like Procrecon or Iprocessviewer 'MPLAYERC.EXE' is listed there & refuses to be terminated. After a few minutes of having closed Media Player Classic I start to get problems with the mouse pointer 'juddering' like the movement is quite jerky. This problem has been with each of the versions of Media Player Classic from the last 6 months, maybe longer. I always use the latest version, like now I am using 6474. Whether I just close the player & leave it, or whether I close it & forcibly try & terminate 'mplayerc.exe' from the running processes list using Procrecon or Iprocessviewer (both freeware running process viewers) it makes no difference, after several minutes I get an 'illegal operation' Windows error box. The details say this:

MPLAYERC caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 019f:bff7d76b.
Registers:
EAX=feddf000 CS=019f EIP=bff7d76b EFLGS=00010207
EBX=81d2ae60 SS=01a7 ESP=0276f710 EBP=0276f734
ECX=fed01cd0 DS=01a7 ESI=0000de2f FS=4507
EDX=bffc9490 ES=01a7 EDI=fed6fe80 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
83 38 00 74 28 83 c0 08 46 3b f1 72 f3 be ff ff
Stack dump:
0276f734 00000000 00000000 ecbe8770 bff92e7f 81d2ae60 bff7db0e 81d2ae60 00000000 801f0003 bff8521c 81d2ae60 ecbe8770 801f0003 0276fa14 0276f978

As I said, the last few versions of Media Player Classic have all had this problem with not terminating fully. I am using:
Windows 98se
512mb pc133 SDRAM
Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.13 ghz
Directx 8.1
Chaintech Geforce 3 TI-200 128mb
Trident 4dwave (nx) PCI sound
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106

I have nothing else running unnecassarily in the background or at startup, just whatever programs I happen to be using whenever I have been watching a video, like Emule (doesn't make any difference what else I might be running), or I can have been running nothing else - it will still never close properly - mplayerc.exe is still there keeping running in the background.
I occasionally scan for viruses, & I regularly run adaware which I keep up to date. My system is generally kept uncluttered & runs as stabily as you can expect with Windows98se.

I have tried a few things to fix the problem, or at least make my system more stable after the Player hangs around after I close it. I updated my DirectX to latest version 9. When that made no difference I went back & freshly installed version 8.1 (used directx terminator to remove 9). I uninstalled my soundcard & freshly installed the drivers redownloaded from the manufacturers Tridents' website. I checked out my audio & video playback codecs & updated some of them. I looked through my add/remove programs list & uninstalled a couple of things I will not be using for a while. I have also tried a couple of registry cleaners though I played it safe. I occasionally use other players like BSPlayer & Zoomplayer (always get latest versions), Divx Playa & sometimes run mplayer2 (WMP 6.4). But I don't really have any other media players installed, I run BSPlayer & Zoomplayer as standalone rather than installed.

Anyway, I can't see anything on my PC that could be causing this strange problem. I am using the default Windows Mouse driver for my ps/2 Logitech standard 2 button mouse. I don't know why MPLAYERC stays resident after I close it & then I get the problem with the mouse pointer juddering before I get the Illegal operation error. Even if I try & close the error it wont close, & the mouse pointer jerkiness gets a bit worse. Although I can't close it, I can move the error message box out of the way & open other things in Windows, & even reopen Media Player Classic. But everything will feel 'sluggish' & stuttery. I have noticed that Windows Explorer will often freeze after a while if I open that while I have this problem. Eventually I am forced to reboot windows to clear the problem, then everything is fine until the next time I have used MPC & closed it. It's a great program except for this issue with it not closing properly! (assuming it's an MPC issue & not my system). Any help or fix for this appreciated, thanks.

cweb
19th January 2004, 17:10
I have occasional crashes (freezes) too with MPC and other players on my PC as I posted in the mplayer thread.

I did update some DLL's namely the OLE32 ones. Now it crashes less frequently, but it still does it every so often.

I tested memory and lots of other things, but it made no difference.

callmeace
19th February 2004, 08:16
:)
I had tried each of the new versions as they were released and 6478 has fixed this. The player is great and mplayerc.exe no longer stays resident in the memory on my computer after I close Media Player Classic now

Thanks for a great program Gabest! It's very nice