PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Arabic subtitles

Sarrra
6th January 2004, 23:43
Hi
I have some films on my computer that I want to attach Arabic subtitles to so that I can then watch on a stand alone dvd player.
The problem is that virtualdub doesn't seem to support the arabic alphabet, so when I try to attach the subs they come up looking abit greek and russian. I have looked on a few forums and seen that not much software supports Arabic, so I dont really know where to go from here. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it
Thanks
Sara

unmei
7th January 2004, 07:16
"so that I can then watch on a stand alone dvd player", "virtualdub"
i didn't know you can have text subtitles that work in standalones, but well so be it. If you could mention the format, it might clarify a bit, but for now i assume you have .SRT subtitles. Then you could save them as UTF-8 (that is not a different format, but the text encoding) ..with UTF-8 you should be able to circumvent codepage problems..

To do so, open the .SRT in notepad and choose "save as", at the bottom of the file dialog you'll find a dropdown box "encoding" (or similar) , select UTF-8 and save.

VobSub and many muxer/editor understand UTF-8 encoded subtitles, but i don't know if it's also the case for standalones.

The hard way would of course be to convert them to pictures or even hardburn them in a application that displays them the right way.

oh, welcome to the forum =)

Sarrra
7th January 2004, 18:58
Thanks for the welcome and the help. I think I might have been a bit confusing, what I meant was that I want to make a vcd of a film with subtitles, which I can watch on a stand alone dvd player (I dont know if text subtitles work in a stand alone, I just assumned they could) or on a computer. The way I usually make a vcd is to prepare it in virtualdub, but as I said it can't handle the arabic subs that I try and attach and I dont really know of any other programs similar to virtualdub that will be able to do it. The subs I have are srt, I made them using subtitle workshop. I will try what you said, but if this post helps you come up with any other ideas I would be grateful,
thanks for your time
Sara

Yusaku
15th January 2004, 14:01
You should try TextSub - AFAIK it supports right-to-left languages; at least on w2k and xp...

unmei
16th January 2004, 17:20
"TextSub" ..do you refer to the avisynth filter included in VSFilter ? yeah..it's the same "can do everything" order as VSFilter itself :D