PDA

View Full Version : Request for new srt2sup feature

SAFE_Dives
29th December 2003, 23:14
One for Gandalf :

I wouldn't normally post a request to you here, but I have twice tried to contact you via e-mail directly from your website, only to receive extremely offensive replies from your spam killer (in the form of - !!!reknaw uoy maps gnikcuf siht em gnidnes potS).

My e-mail was purely to request another feature in srt2sup, which I repeat here :

I would like to use different colours for different characters in a movie. Is this something that could be done with srt2sup? I have just downloaded the latest (a4.03) version of your program and will be trying it out on this, but I have tried before with a3.05 to no avail. I seem to remember reading (somewhere) that there are 16 colour definitions for each PGC and that these are for four subtitle colour sets each of four colour definitions. Is this possible, do you think?

SAFE_Dives
2nd January 2004, 11:00
Having tried out version a4.03, I have found that although srt2sup does not support the use of different colours (one for each character) in a subtitle set, it does support the use of more than one font within a subtitle set. Therefore, the use of different fonts for each character is a possibility. While this would appear to fully answer the problem of providing distinctly different subtitle text for each character, many fonts are so similar that a distinct difference may not be possible over the range of characters that are likely within the average movie/play. It does, however, go a long way.

But the original question still stands - can srt2sup, or another subtitling program that outputs to .sup files provide subtitles that allow the use of one colour per character (even if it is only four characters, as font differences could hopefully be used at the same time)?

Srt2Sup
12th January 2004, 00:16
Hi,

We have communicated by email, however I have had a thought!

What you want is possible because in theory you can have up to 4 colours per subtitle from a pallet of 16.

That would allow 15 colours to be used (1 for background), with 3 different colours for 3 different people on each subtitle.

Srt2Sup a4.03 does not have the capability as it is currently and as I have lost the sources because of a double harddrive failure it would not be added in the near future.

However if you really want to try this and are prepared to put in some effort is is possible!

Method1 - Use bitmaps for subtitles with one colour for background and 3 other colours for other people. Create a S2S file from a SRT text file and save it as a SRT file with bitmaps. Edit each bitmap to use the colours you want!

Method2 - In the SUP file after each subtitle a record 03,32,10 is written. This is the colour mapping record. You could change the mapping of each record to pick from the 16 colours available.

Both of these methods require a lot of work. If I ever recreate Srt2Sup I would look to be more flexible in the use of colours.

Regards

Srt2Sup

Yusaku
13th January 2004, 10:25
Another way to archieve this is using MaestroSBT, which will convert your SSA script (fully supports colors, different fonts etc.) into format used by DVD authoring apps. From there, use Son2VobSub ( http://www.anime.cz/s2v ), then Sub2Sup (here in SW section; both are one-click utilities...) to get sup file.

Bugfixes for Son2VobSub; or even better the structure of IFOEdit's SUP files is welcome ^_^.