PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove subtitles from a movie?

Chizzy2thehizzy
28th December 2003, 05:50
I have a SVCD file and it has swe subs. Is it possible to remove these as I have no use for them :D

dvd_master
28th December 2003, 06:27
If they are soft subtitles, they are removable. If they are hard: no. You can only try and cover them with a black bar which ruins some of the picture or some other crazy method. Deal with the subs... there's no really easy/good way to get them out.

Chizzy2thehizzy
29th December 2003, 03:54
Soft? Hard? what's the difference and how would i remove them(soft)? thx

Acidis
29th December 2003, 18:56
Hard means they are part of the video. Soft means they are in a seperate stream and can be removed easily.

I don't think you can have soft subtitles on SVCD, if I am not mistaken.

Nil Einne
23rd January 2004, 15:48
Actually SVCD does support selectable (soft) subtitles. However, I think not that many people use it because many DVD players don't support them.

Check out the spec at:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/svcd

VCD however does not support selectable subtitles.

smiller667
23rd January 2004, 19:11
OK, let's make it short: if you play your svcd with a software player & the subs are there, they are hard-coded into the video (aka "burnt in"). No way of removing them, except for putting a black bar on top or cropping (& reencoding).
If they are selectable subs (you can switch them on and off on your standalone), then yes, just remux your a/v without the subs.

Any hardware player which claims SVCD support should be able to play it back, as selectable subs are part of the IEEE specs. If it can't play them, the player isn't svcd-compliant, simple as that.

Quite a few people would use selectable SVCD subs, btw ... one of the most attractive features of SVCD, aside from its superior image quality as compared to VCD. And just to sum it all up, there is an experimental SVCD/CVD subtitle plugin available for Xine ... so my initital statement about soft players was only 99% true.