PDA

View Full Version : @gabest: smaller Vobsub format proposal?

bilu
26th December 2003, 12:49
Hi Gabest,

Have you ever read this post?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=397585#post397585

Both the ZLib and the stripping process seem worthy to include in a new Vobsub format so that the AVI+Vobsub encoders could benefit from it. The actual method would still be available for compatibility reasons.

I'm sure it could be a nice Xmas late gift for users of tools like AutoGK :)

Thanks in advance,
Bilu

gabest
26th December 2003, 15:29
rar makes it just as small (packet headers are almost identical, paddig is always ff ff ff ..) and the possibility of ocring would be lost too.

bilu
26th December 2003, 15:37
rar makes it just as small RAR isn't free like zlib.
the possibility of ocring would be lost too. :confused: Altough I'm not a programmer, I'm curious about this. Could you explain a bit more?

Bilu

gabest
26th December 2003, 16:21
rar may not be free, but it can be used without paying. ocring can be done easily if you load the idx/sub into subrip or subresync.

len0x
26th December 2003, 17:34
Originally posted by gabest
rar may not be free, but it can be used without paying.

True, but it can't be packaged though... in the all-in-one solutions it's preferably to use whatever can be freely redistributed (at least I've started going that direction). Format itself doesn't really matter to me...

bilu
4th January 2004, 23:03
Originally posted by gabest
rar may not be free, but it can be used without paying. ocring can be done easily if you load the idx/sub into subrip or subresync. How can you distribute a ripping program with compression integrated if you can't integrate the compressor? With Zlib everything could be distributed as one. Also it could be helpful for standalones to ever support the Vobsub format ;)

And if you got rid of the padding it would compress a bit more, and it shouldn't affect OCR, after all the bitmaps were not affected. You could maintain a compatilibity mode, of course.

These suggestions shouldn't be hard to implement if you have the time I think, and sure whould be a lot useful :)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Bilu