PDA

View Full Version : Misc. subtitle question....

Red96TA
18th December 2003, 07:37
As always, any help is greatly appreciated...:D

1) What is the ideal size for digisubs on Anime? All of the more popular groups seem to use between 48-72pt fonts...what is the most 'standard' size?

2) Many digisub groups use fonts in SSA that I don't have...is there a place to get these fonts? Preferably free ;)

3) The fansub 'karaoke' effect for the intro songs...eh, any clue how that is done?

4) Offsetting text to desired areas of the screen...?

5) Adding moving or fading texts?

6) Are there any 'comprehensive' tutorial on doing full-fledged digisubs?

The bottom line here is...I want to do something even close to what Anime-Keep has done with the Chrno Crusade series...if you haven't seen it, the subbing is: :eek: :eek:

Red96TA
18th December 2003, 08:04
2) fontfreak.com

got one of my own answers! :D

ZordosZZ
24th December 2003, 20:56
Is there a way to remove subs after encodes?

unmei
25th December 2003, 01:04
@ZordosZZ: welcome to the forum. Next time you ask a question, don't do it in a thread that it isn't related to your quastion :) Do it in a related thread or start a new one. Apropos search: if you searched first you would have found these threads: 1 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=66392)
2 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=43381&highlight=remove+subtitle+avi) 3 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=41569&highlight=remove+subtitle+avi)
...and learned that there is no really satisfying way. Which is no wonder because the information of what was below the subtitles is lost ..at best you can try to guess it from surrounding data.

@Red96TA:
1) i wouldnt know that. But what you need to see is, the size a text is displayed depends on the font size, but also on the scripts 'PlayResX' and/or 'PlayResY' settings (in the [Script Info] section).

2) i got tons of free fonts by browsing sites found through a web search on "font free" ...but beware, many are horrid quality and/or feature only the english alphabet (rendering umlauts and accents as squares or in system default font).

3)
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:00:30.00,0:00:31.25,KaraokeStyle,chorus,0000,0000,0000,Karaoke,{\K100}This {\K100}is {\k100}Ka {\K100}ra {\K100}o {\K150}kee

4)Dialogue: Marked=0,0:01:30.00,0:01:33.00,labelStyle,label,0300,0000,0120,,unmei's ramen shop

5) too complex to give a sample (and im too lazy to write one :)), its explained in the ASS-specs.doc (look for \move, \fad)

6)i fear not, or at least not available to the public...most fansubbers like to keep their little secrets :(

What you need is to get hands on the ASS-specs-doc , it can be found in the installation of old versions of vobsub (no more in VSfilter :( ). If you can't find it there i've put it in my webserver, but i wont keep it here (http://tachikoma.no-ip.org/ass-specs.doc) for long, so hurry up ;)

WyldeF1r3
25th December 2003, 09:52
dunno if it's legal to post full-fledge tutorials about digisubs on these forums, so I shall refrain just in case, but I've got some items of interest if you want them (including 2 full-fledged tutorials), just give me a pm and i'll hook you up

dvd_master
25th December 2003, 16:48
Here's something someone posted at fansubs.net a loooong time ago.

-------

Ok hopefully this will give you some help:

First with the encoding. It sounds like you are not using a good codec. Fansubs today are either Divx3 (using a program called nandub), Divx4 or Xvid (which you can use VirtualDub for both). Now since your a newbie with this id say go for divx4, since its pretty easy to set up:

1)Load up your vid file in Vdub, then load any filters you may want, for example your SSA file or if you want to resize your vid.
NOTE: If you are resizng from a small res to a large res you will get pixelation more times than not.

2)I generally dont do the audio and video at the same time, keeps the audio/video from becoming out of sync, just go to file, then save WAV, select a place to save it and save.

3)Once thats done, go to video, then compression. Then on your list of codecs select divx4.XX (XX being which ever version you have) and click configure.

4)Now here you only have to change a few things. First under the Variable Bitrate Mode drop menu, select 2-pass,first pass. Then under output video bitstream put in 950 for now. I generally use a number between 950-1100 depending if my vid is a little undersized at 950 so I bump it up a little. You'll have to do testing to figure that out.

5)Now hit ok, and on the next window hit ok, then hit F7. This will bring up the save window. put in a file name BUT dont save just yet, instead click on the little bow in the corner and THEN hit save.

6)You will notice that ntohing happened, which is what is suposed to happen. Now go to video, compression again. Then click on divx4 codec again and hit configure again.

7) Now go back to the Variable Bitrate Mode drop menu again and select 2-pass, second pass. Then hit OK, and on the next menu ok.

8) Hit F7 again, put in the same file name as the first file, MAKE SURE you check the box again, then hit save.

9) Now hit F4. You should see both tasts listed. Now just hit start and sit back for a few hours, or less depending on yur pc.

10) Once you are satisfied with your video results, re open Vdub, load the newly encoded video file, then go to video and select the dot in front of direct stream processing (Very important!!), then go to audio, select the dot in front of wav audio, then open the wav you saved before and hit ok. Once this is done just hit F7 again, and save the file (be sure to use a different file name than the encoded file) and whola you have an encode.

NOTES: besure you have the divx 4 codec to do this, alos if you wav audio is a bit to big you may want to compress it, but im no good with that so your on your own there.

Now as for IRC distroying, there are 2 ways to go about it. You could hop on a network, set up your own chan, get servers together, and distroy them that way. Or, this way may be easier for you, find a chan already set up that has distros already in place and ask if they will distro your subs for you.

Hope ive been able to help

WyldeF1r3
26th December 2003, 09:15
divx4 is pretty outdated, you'd be better off to go with a version of divx5 or xvid