PDA

View Full Version : how to time subs w/ SSA

Red96TA
13th December 2003, 20:08
I can time vocal subs with the wav file just fine, but the anime that I'm subbing has several text lines that need to be timed. Is there an easy way to time those lines without extensive trial and error?

As always...thanks a million

Zarxrax
13th December 2003, 21:44
Not quite sure what you mean, but the answer is probably "not really".
With experience it becomes easier and faster.

Mtz
14th December 2003, 02:34
Open your subtitle in Subtitle Workshop 2.03 and than load your movie in the program. Play the movie in Subtitle Workshop and watch your subtitle lines in the player window. Than synchronize the lines that you want. With double click in any subtitle row the movie goes to that line.

Red96TA
14th December 2003, 08:07
Sub Workshop did a fine job with only one exception...how can I make the video screen bigger? I have several lines of text going on at the same time, but SW only displays one line.

Any suggestions?

Red96TA
14th December 2003, 09:01
I just finished timing everything up and saved the subs in sub-workshop...when I opened them again in SSA, the text colors were all gone...:scared: :angry:

DeKSoft
14th December 2003, 09:20
Yes, I would have warned you if I had seen this post before :(
Subtitle Workshop does not support SSA styles information, and most of SSA specific features (for now).

unmei
16th December 2003, 00:25
if yo don't have animation or drawing commands in the subtitles, u96 might preserve all of the SSA's information.
However you should know that you will not be editing in SSA, but USF (import from SSA, edit, export to SSA) and it might turn out difficult to get the preferences right to have "perfect" mapping between SSA and USF (but its possible: the default setting are tuned for pixel accurate mapping on my comp :) (1280x1024 screen)).

Also, the preview subtitles are not overlaid over the movie but in a seperate preview (but with styles and all).

And there is no manual released yet, you will nedd to find out how to work for yourself :P (There will be a manual for version 0.2)

u96 can be downloaded from the link in my sig.
Wow, a little advertising is always fun ;)

Justinus
26th December 2003, 07:30
Try Medusa (http://forum.doom9.it/viewtopic.php?t=3775). If you can't time with video frame-by-frame, then time with audio sec-by-sec. I can easily re-create the subtitle from scratch (with cut-and-paste from original subtitle) without looking at video.