PDA

View Full Version : Removing hardcoded subtitles from mpeg2 possible?

Chetwood
8th December 2003, 08:46
I have a letterboxed mpeg file with some hardcoded subtitles which are placed in the lower black bar below the movie. Is there any way to rip them out or to place a new black bar over it so they are not seen?

smiller667
8th December 2003, 11:00
If your target format is DVD, you might want to put a non-transparent black bar "subtitle" over them to hide them. It should work for SVCD as well if your standalone supports those.
Otherwise, you can of course crop it away, but you would have to reencode for that.

Chetwood
8th December 2003, 15:29
Originally posted by smiller667
If your target format is DVD, you might want to put a non-transparent black bar "subtitle" over them to hide them.

That's it. But how do I do it? TIA.

smiller667
10th December 2003, 00:03
Actually my answer was based on dimly remembering this thread (I just found it again after some searching): http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65378&highlight=subpicture - sadly not based on personal experience.

I assume you might achieve the result using dvdsupencode or srt2sup (both also accept .bmp files for .sup generation), followed by ifoedit authoring.

Scenarist or DVDMaestro should of course be able to do it, but I don't have these.