PDA

View Full Version : Permanent subs on VCD with TMPGenc and Vobsub

Potter
28th November 2003, 17:34
Hi

I have an avi sourced movie and external subtitles (*.sub)that I want to encode to VCD.

I use TMPGenc and I've already installed Vobsub.

The subtitles display automatically in TMPGenc, but not all of them. The final VCD output, only contains some of the lines in the subtitle file.

What is wrong?

/Potter

stealth
28th November 2003, 18:47
You may want to try using VirtualDub frame server with SSA filters.
At least it works for me.

Potter
28th November 2003, 20:56
Hi

I have tried using the frameserver in VirtualDub and it works perfectly.

The problem is that when it's a 16:9 movie the subtitles will be merged in the area of the picture.

When using Vobsub directly in TMPGenc the subtitles will be displayed in the black border uder the picture.

It there a way to work around this or any other suggestions why the subtitles only appear randomly?

/Potter

stealth
29th November 2003, 06:49
Sorry if I had misunderstood you.

There seems to be 2 issues here.

1) Positioning of subtitles
2) missing subtitles after encoding

right?

I did not explore on (1) but I think it should be possible under "settings" in TMPGENC.

As for (2), if the subtitle file is just .sub or .srt, you need to convert to .ssa format. Then, using SSA filters in virtualdub, the subtitles will not be missing.

rdgs.

Potter
29th November 2003, 12:45
There are two ways I've tried so far.

(1)

Vobsub filter in VirtualDub and frameserve to TMPGenc.

The subtitles appear perfectly, but are placed on the picture. This is a 16:9 source there are no borders in VirtualDub.

When I encode the movie in TMPGenc the borders are added, but the subtitles are of course still situated on the picture and NOT on the black border where I want it to be.

(2)

Vobsub filter directly in TMPGenc. TMPGenc automatically adds the subtitles during encoding via the Vobsub filter. (The small green logo from VobSub appear in the system tray during encoding).

The problem is that not all the subtitles appear in the output.

If I just play the file in Media Player the subtitles appear perfectly so it's not the subtitle file that is messed up.

SO...

any suggestions?

PS. I use the newest versions of all programs.

/Potter

ppera2
29th November 2003, 16:50
You need to add borders up and down in Virtual Dub, before Vobsub filter, and then frameserve.

There is better and faster solution: AVISynth. Just install Gordian Knot package for it.

After it, you can make AVS script easy from GK. Convert sub to ssa with Subresync and insert this in script:

LoadPlugin("F:\Program Files\Gordian Knot\Vsfilter.dll")

TextSub("E:\Titl.ssa")

Of course replace locations and filenames for yours...

Btw. you always feed TMPGenc with resized picture to final dimensions, because TMPGenc resizes pretty slow.

dvd_master
29th November 2003, 17:07
In SSA, if you highlight all the rows of subtitles, then type in around 55-85 (choose one) at the position box at the top right part of the dialogue box, then press enter (ONCE), it will position all your subs at a screen-safe position for home TV viewing. Then stick it back in Virtual Dub and frameserve again.

stealth
30th November 2003, 08:42
Originally posted by Potter

Vobsub filter directly in TMPGenc. TMPGenc automatically adds the subtitles during encoding via the Vobsub filter. (The small green logo from VobSub appear in the system tray during encoding).

The problem is that not all the subtitles appear in the output.

If I just play the file in Media Player the subtitles appear perfectly so it's not the subtitle file that is messed up.

I agreed that the VobSub will automatically add the subtitle during your encoding. Using this method will cause missing subtitles in your output result.

In order to get around with this, I convert the .srt or .sub subtitle file to .ssa format. With .ssa format, I can add this filter in VirtualDub. ie. Video - Filters - Add - Subtitler

You need to have a subtitle tool to convert .srt or .sub file to .ssa format. You will also need to have a Subtitler plugins for VirtualDub.

If your subtitle files have both .idx and .sub file, you can use Vobsub plugin in VirtualDub.

Potter
30th November 2003, 12:11
Hi

With my current knowledge I think the easiest would be to add borders in VirtualDub before the subtitles.

So how do I add borders in VirtualDub?

Potter