PDA

View Full Version : Avimux and Liteon Divx player.

Atlantis
16th November 2003, 04:40
I have a standalone DVD-Divx player (Liteon). This is an excellent player and plays everything. My problem is that whenever I mux a video and audio by avimux, the player refuses the videos. Anyone has encountered this problem? If I mux with VirtualDub, it plays them fine! What should I change in Avimux?

b_x20852
18th November 2003, 21:15
It looks like that not only Lite-On but all other standalone DivX players I have heard of, do not recognize files made with AviMUX GUI.

Any idea why, and what has to be changed?

Zhnujm
19th November 2003, 00:54
I recognised the same thing with both ess and sigma players, at least with some older versions of AVIMux.
Even if i use the same values as in Virtualdub. There must be something different in avimux.

Atlantis
19th November 2003, 17:32
So what’s the best way to mux video and VBR audio? Since it seems no one is using avimux. Every DivX file that I have tested, has worked with my player and hence they are muxed with other programs.

Zhnujm
19th November 2003, 20:55
VirtualDub or in the case of VBR Audio, VirtualDubMod.

Wolfman
23rd November 2003, 11:10
I am using this program to test out clips and it appears that my player doesnt like them (yamada dvx6100 ess based). These clips are however muxed with virtdubmod. I have other clips both divx and xvid which play fine they however were created using GK or some other method, as GKIF4U has only been available for a few weeks. somebody suggested interleaving or b-frames as part of the problem, any ideas?

Proteus
3rd December 2003, 17:57
If I do not use "Open-DML output" in avimux, it works to me, try it.

genpix
3rd December 2003, 18:37
Originally posted by Proteus
If I do not use "Open-DML output" in avimux, it works to me, try it.
hmm...
looks like you are the only who was able to play avi flies (prepared in AVImux) on standalone player.
What player do you have btw?

PS: my RJ4000 does not play AVImux-ed files (with or without "Open-DML" box checked)

Proteus
4th December 2003, 00:19
I have verified it on "Loomax DVD DivX-X50" player.
This avi files (Divx-AC3) was muxed with avimux_gui v1.15.3 and v1.13.
The "Open-DML" avi files created by VirtualDubMod do not have problems in this standalone DVD-Divx player.

The program "Avimedic" indicate that avi created with avimux_gui and the "Open-DML output" option selected, has all bad header.
Bug in Open-DML files created by avimux?

bond
4th December 2003, 12:49
avimux also places the index (normally placed at the end of the file) at the beginning (thats allowed in the avi specs)

alexnoe
4th December 2003, 13:48
avimux also places the index (normally placed at the end of the file) at the beginning (thats allowed in the avi specs) ??????????????????????????

Proteus:
Unless your file was larger than 2 GB, VirtualDub did NOT create an Open-DML file. Also switch off rec lists. They make KISS players b0rk, and maybe also LiteOn.

Proteus
5th December 2003, 01:03
My files never are greater of 2 GB and GSpot indicates that avi files created by VirtualDubMod are Open-DML, :confused: Why?

I dont have problems switch on REC lists.

len0x
5th December 2003, 02:54
Just got this player. Immediately run into this problem:
I have 16:9 LCD screen to which player is connected. Video is perfect via component out. But I can't seem to make the player output divx/xvid in widescreen mode. It always outputs 4:3 mode. So basically in order to play if full widescreen you have to have anamorphic encode and then stretch to 16:9 on the LCD itself. Is that fixable or not ?

P.S. player has no probs playing AutoGK's XviD files.

torsius
5th December 2003, 04:40
if you have the same liteon player i do, then there is a configuration screen that allows you to select the AR of your output (4:3 or 16:9)

you can only get to the configuration screen if you don't have any media in the drive of the player.

oh, and if you "just" got the player, make sure you update the firmware http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/csd.htm

alexnoe
5th December 2003, 06:33
Proteus: did you try Open-DML + Legacy in AVI-Mux GUI? This is exactly what VDub writes.

What exactly does avimedic complain about? I just ran it, and it does not tell me what it thinks to be wrong. It just shows a nice red square, which is not too helpful

alexnoe
5th December 2003, 09:36
AVIMedic refuses to load any files > 2 GB (written with AVI-Mux GUI and VDubMod), which IMHO means that it might report bad headers only because it cannot handle Open-DML (it is impossible to write Open-DML files < 2 GB with VirtualDub!)

len0x
5th December 2003, 12:22
Originally posted by torsius
if you have the same liteon player i do, then there is a configuration screen that allows you to select the AR of your output (4:3 or 16:9)

you can only get to the configuration screen if you don't have any media in the drive of the player.

It's LVD 2001 with 229 firmware.
16:9 or 4:3 settings seem to have no effect on mpeg4 playback. It looks like it always plays 4:3 Letterboxed :( So when I watch it on 16:9 screen the width is streched...

SeeMoreDigital
5th December 2003, 13:37
Originally posted by len0x
Just got this player. Immediately run into this problem:
I have 16:9 LCD screen to which player is connected. Video is perfect via component out. But I can't seem to make the player output divx/xvid in widescreen mode. It always outputs 4:3 mode. So basically in order to play if full widescreen you have to have anamorphic encode and then stretch to 16:9 on the LCD itself. Is that fixable or not ?

P.S. player has no probs playing AutoGK's XviD files. Aha!

I was wondering how some standalone player users were coping with their Mpeg4 encodes on 16:9 screens!

I generate most of my encodes anamorphic-ally (how do you spell that word?) for viewing on my 16:9 screen via Xcard. And I too, have problems being able to view them correctly. Selecting 16:9 output for Mpeg4 encodes just makes matters worse!

I presume DVD/Mpeg2 anamorphic streams work OK when 16:9 TV output is selected?

What are the image pixel frame sizes of the Mpeg4 encodes you have tried with your player?

After over six months of barracking Sigma I'm still no closer to finding a permanent solution. The only thing Xcard users have in their favour is that it's possible to correct/override the aspect ratio by pressing the up/down arrows on the remote control, while playing the encode. Either that, or I use JovePlayer and create xml file that automatically adjusts the AR.

It think it might be interesting to know, how many members who have DVD/Mpeg4 standalones, also have 16:9 TV's!

I wonder if Doom9 has such a setup. And if so how he's got around the problem? Which, incidentally, is not as bad with NTSC anamorphic encodes!

Cheers

Atlantis
5th December 2003, 14:54
I have the liteOn player and a 16:9 TV. Nothing is easier than watching my DivX/XviD files. It doesn't matter in what aspect ratio they are. My player has both the option of stretching the image vertically or horizontally. So I can adjust it very easily. This works only with mpeg-4 files. With normal DVD I cannot stretch the image manually.

len0x
5th December 2003, 15:06
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital

I was wondering how some standalone player users were coping with their Mpeg4 encodes on 16:9 screens!

Thank god I haven't bought this player for myself :) But for a person without 16:9 screen... Otherwise I'd be really upset.

I presume DVD/Mpeg2 anamorphic streams work OK when 16:9 TV output is selected?

Yes, DVD playback is perfect.

What are the image pixel frame sizes of the Mpeg4 encodes you have tried with your player?

I don't have anything above 720*xxx at the moment. I'll be doing lots of samples for testing and later publish my results. Strange thing so far - player seems to be playing Divx 5.0.2 GMC encodes without any problems (I though it woudln't). I have stopped using GMC after 5.0.2 because of wasn't sure if in the future I can play them. Now I have to try this with 5.1.1, which playback btw was not perfect on one sample I tried (I'm not sure if its generic problem or bitrate picks issue). XviD playback is superb though.

P.S. divx 3.11 playback is soo horrible though (as expected) :)

len0x
5th December 2003, 15:06
Originally posted by Atlantis
I have the liteOn player and a 16:9 TV. Nothing is easier than watching my DivX/XviD files. It doesn't matter in what aspect ratio they are. My player has both the option of stretching the image vertically or horizontally. So I can adjust it very easily. This works only with mpeg-4 files. With normal DVD I cannot stretch the image manually.

wow - how do you do that?
I saw no mentioning that in the manual...

Proteus
5th December 2003, 15:27
alexnoe: I try Open-DML + Legacy in AVI-Mux GUI and the player remains blocked.
As I have already said, GSpot v2.21 indicate that the avi files (never greater of 2 GB) created by VirtualDubMod are Open-DML and my standaloneplayer play it fine. I dont use to save avi in old 1.0 format. Avimedic show that all this good.
It seems like VirtualDubMod Open-DML avi files are different to Avi-Mux GUI Open-DML avi files, why?
I follow confused

SeeMoreDigital
5th December 2003, 15:39
Yes, this is amazing!

If I'm sitting down to view an 2.35:1 Mpeg4 encode. When I set the TV output of the Xcard to 16:9. The following image pixel frame sizes are the only ones that AR correctly: - PAL 640x272, NTSC 640x272, NTSC 864x480 and NTSC 864x368!

When I set the TV output of the Xcard to 4:3. The following, AR correctly: - PAL 720x576, PAL 720x432 (nearly), PAL 768x432, NTSC 640x480 and NTSC 656x368!

Even then I may have to force the TV to 16:9. Which, thankfuly does not stretch the TV image lines vertically too!

alexnoe
5th December 2003, 15:46
It seems like VirtualDubMod Open-DML avi files are different to Avi-Mux GUI Open-DML avi files, why?
I follow confusedThat's what I am trying to find out using a hex editor....

alexnoe
5th December 2003, 16:07
I found one: I write a frame rate of 10000000/400000, while VDub writes 25/1.
However, if this were the problem, AVI-Mux GUI standard AVIs should not work either on that player

Could someone post a complete configuration file used for muxing? With version 1.15.3, a file last-job.amg is created. Maybe it is something with the settings.

len0x
5th December 2003, 23:52
after a bit of experimenting I found that if player is in the zoom mode then arrows work as resolution adjustment in mpeg4 mode. great, now i'm happy :)

SeeMoreDigital
5th December 2003, 23:55
Cool!

I had hoped, prayed even, that such a function was available!

Cheers

len0x
6th December 2003, 00:08
player is really nice - I just tested 15 samples of video and it plays:
for DivX 5.1.1 - bi-di, gmc
for XviD (koepi 24/06) - 1,2,3 b-frames (haven't tried more)

doesn't play:
- qpel for divx
- gmc, qpel for xvid

no problems with different types of audio either.

SeeMoreDigital
6th December 2003, 00:32
Thank god I haven't bought this player for myself :) But for a person without 16:9 screen... Otherwise I'd be really upset. And....
player is really nice - I just tested 15 samples of video and it plays:
for DivX 5.1.1 - bi-di, gmc
for XviD (koepi 24/06) - 1,2,3 b-frames (haven't tried more)

doesn't play:
- qpel for divx
- gmc, qpel for xvid

no problems with different types of audio either.So... You like it now!

Welcome to the wonderful world of hardware Mpeg4.

Cheers

len0x
6th December 2003, 00:50

So... You like it now!

I never said I doubt it abilities it's just if you're unable to see proper AR, then it kinda destoys the point of being able to play everything :)

P.S. feature that I'm enjoying the most is progressive scan which looks wonderful on my LCD :) The only feature that I'm really missing is subs support (srt will be supported soon, but I'm wishing for ssa or vobsub).

Proteus
6th December 2003, 17:52
alexnoe: this "last-job.amg" works fine, but if I only change "Opend-DML" option to 1, then the problems begin to play the avi file
-----------------------------
CLEAR
LANGUAGE English
SET INPUT OPTIONS
WITH SET OPTION
USE CACHE 1
AVI FORCE MP3VBR 0
END WITH
LOAD C:\Peliculas\T2\T2-final.avi
LOAD C:\Peliculas\T2\T2 AC3 T02 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3
WITH SET OPTION
USE CACHE 1
AVI FORCE MP3VBR 0
MP3 VERIFY CBR ALWAYS
MP3 VERIFY RESDLG 0
M2F2 CRC 1
AVI FIXDX50 1
AVI IGNLCHUNKS OFF
AVI TRY2FIXLCHUNKS 0
WITH CHAPTERS
IMPORT 0
FROMFILENAMES 0
END WITH
END WITH
DESELECT FILE 0
SELECT FILE 1
ADD VIDEOSOURCE
SET OUTPUT OPTIONS
WITH SET OPTION
STDOUTPUTFMT AVI
END WITH
DESELECT AUDIO 0
SELECT AUDIO 1
WITH SET OPTION
END WITH
DESELECT SUBTITLE 0
WITH SET OPTION
NO AUDIO 0
ALL AUDIO 0
NO SUBTITLES 0
ALL SUBTITLES 1
OPENDML 0
LEGACY 0
RECLISTS 1
FRAMES 0
PRELOAD 500
MP3 CBR FRAMEMODE 1
MAXFILESIZE ON
AVI AC3FPC 2
OVERLAPPED 0
MAXFILESIZE 2000
MAXFILES OFF
NUMBERING ON
NUMBERING %s (%d).avi
AUDIO INTERLEAVE 250 KB
SPLIT POINTS ON
SPLIT POINTS ADD 1:13:13.600
STDIDX AUTO
PRLAC BYTE
END WITH
WITH SET OPTION MKV
LACE 3
LACESIZE 1000
CLUSTERSIZE 512
CLUSTERTIME 30000
PREVCLUSTERSIZE 1
CLUSTERPOSITION 1
LIMIT1STCLUSTER 1
END WITH
SET OPTION CHAPTERS CLEAR
--------------------------------

alexnoe
6th December 2003, 18:15
STDIDX AUTO <- Maybe here is a problem. Please try STDIDX 10000 FRAMES with OPENDML 1

Proteus
6th December 2003, 20:37
alexnoe:
I try STDIDX 10000 FRAMES with OPENDML 1 (and other combinations) and my standalone player follows without working with Avimux Open-DML files (VirtualDubMod files works) :( .Software players dont have problems to play this avi files.

MrMine
15th December 2003, 15:57
Hi,
i've found the same problem with AVIMUX!
When i disable openDML support the divx works.....but
after some minutes the video begins to stutter!
It comes not fluid and out of sync!!

HELP PLZ!!!!!

alexnoe
15th December 2003, 17:13
Which audio format? Which interleave settings?

MrMine
15th December 2003, 17:31
i'VE a dIVX 5.1.1 VIDEO WITH AC3 audio

interleave is setted to default ,that i think is 500! right?

PLZ Help Alexnoe !!! I've made a lot of divx with your AVIMUX!

alexnoe
15th December 2003, 17:40
500 is not default. 500 Frames would be crap, and 500 kB could be too much, depending on the size of the read buffer. Does it also occur with, lets say, 100 kB interleave?

And if it stutters after some minutes, but NOT at the beginning: What cd-r media do you use? I hope it is no platinum, intenso, or similar crap...

MrMine
15th December 2003, 17:47
Excuse me

So...
The setting i used are:
interleave 250 Kb
preload 500

(without OpenDML support)

CDR are good ,Verbatim !!

alexnoe
15th December 2003, 17:50
OK, then try smaller interleave settings

MrMine
15th December 2003, 17:51
OK i'll try it later

Thnks!

MrMine
16th December 2003, 09:24
Hi again,
i've tried to put interleave (with avimux to a lower number,like 100...but nothin)
I've seen that the problem of my Elta 8883 is :
-with DivX with AC3 muxed with Avimux ,ALL!
-with Divx with AC3 that have 448Kb!

PLZ HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

alexnoe
16th December 2003, 11:14
OK, try interleave for each frame without rec lists then.

MrMine
16th December 2003, 16:03
I've tried interleave for each frame....
but bad results....
with interleave 100 = audio stutter
with interleave 500 = audio stutter too
which settings can i try?

Is it so difficult with these hardware players guy?
I've tried movie file without audio...and it's fluid!!!
PLZ HELP!

alexnoe
16th December 2003, 17:01
Is it so difficult with these hardware players guy? Obviously it is. The problem is that those manufacturers usally don't release guides describing additional requirements for those files, like interleave settings.

MrMine
16th December 2003, 17:12
SO,
what do you suggest to do?

Also...there's strange case:

The video that is choppy is:
made with DivX 5.03 .... 704x304
audio AC3 at 448 Kb (but without audio is fluid)

------
BUT ... with a video made with DivX 5.02 .... 704x320
and audio AC3 at 385 Kb ... ALL IS FLUID!!
------

Again so.....IS it a combination between codec and audio th problem?
DivX 5.03 + AC3 is more heavy then DivX 5.02 + AC3 ??????

Zhnujm
16th December 2003, 21:19
I just tried this with my elta 8883 and its the same.
VirtualDubMod with 500ms preload, 1 frame interleave 2x448kBit AC3 is ok, AviMux with the same settings is choppy (i disabled rec list, opendml, avoid unnecessary seek operations)
Strange.

alexnoe
16th December 2003, 21:29
Did you also set the preload to 500ms? Did you set the AC3 interleave pattern to 1 Frame per Chunk (settings -> output -> avi -> ac3 frames per chunk), or other values?

Zhnujm
16th December 2003, 22:14
Yes, both have 500ms preload. And now i tried 1 and 2 ac3 chunks, result is the same.
I make some more tests tomorrow.

MrMine
17th December 2003, 09:24
Hi again,
some new ideas about?

MrMine
17th December 2003, 18:18
So,i've resolved:

i've used VirtualDUB 1.5 ,it writes right OpenDML file i've seen!

I've used GSpot to see the difference!

PLZ ALexnoe to tell me if it's possible to obtain with Avimux this
type of AVI file (working on my Elta 8883,perfectly fluid) :

Streamtype and A/V interleave:
OpenDML AVI IMRR :1.00

I/L 1 aud frame (32 ms) Split: No

Whereas that of avimux (not working,or choppy playback for me) is:
Streamtype and A/V interleave:

AVI, "rec list" style IMRR :1.17
I/L 973 ms (24.3 v.frames) Split: No

alexnoe
17th December 2003, 18:56
I don't know what IMRR is supposed to mean...

EDIT found it. Now I only have to find out how the hell this value can differ from 1.00 :(

I/L 973 ms (24.3 v.frames) Split: NoThis looks like a large interleave setting (interleave interval about the same as encoding bitrate/8)

alexnoe
17th December 2003, 19:19
OK, try something straight forward:

If your movie has 25 fps, set the interleave pattern to 8 frames, with 1 or 2 AC3 frames per chunk. For 29,97 fps, you could try 16 frames, also with 1 or 2 AC3 frames per chunk.

Zhnujm
17th December 2003, 21:16
Dont work for me (8 frames, 1 and 2 ac3 frames).
AviMux must do something that some standalones dont like :confused:

alexnoe
17th December 2003, 21:20
AviMux must do something that some standalones dont like Yeah, I cannot deny this :angry:

genpix
17th December 2003, 21:46
just short comment (in case nobody discussed it before):
The same AVI file (~1500kbps video + 448kbps AC3 audio) plays differently from CD-RW and DVD-RW on my RJ4000.
It's choppy from CD, smooth from DVD.
Guess, it's limited by max RPMs of the drive.
I think, it could be applied to any standalone DivX payer (in more or less extent).
Just want to make sure you exclude all unrelated problems before you start to beat AVImux to death ... :p

alexnoe
17th December 2003, 21:47
But if VDub makes a playable file, and AVI-Mux GUI does not, then it cannot only be the disc type. Maybe it is some preloading stuff... i seriously hope i don't have to buy such a player to fix this :(

Zhnujm
17th December 2003, 22:39
I agree its impossible to play my file from cd, i try always from the same dvd+rw. (1.8mb xvid + 2x448kb AC3)

With 500ms preload and 1 frame interleave,
gspot reports this from the avimux file:
1 vid frame (40 ms), p=512 Split: No
AC3 (5 ch) CBR

and this from vdubmod:
1 vid frame (40 ms) Split: Yes
AC3(6 ch) CBR

dont know if that helps... i just wonder because of the 5ch/6ch difference.

alexnoe
17th December 2003, 22:41
You can try that: Take a hex editor and change the number of channels in the audio stream to 6... the virtualdub hex editor includes some help for that

alexnoe
18th December 2003, 22:12
One more idea:

Open the AVI file, right click -> information -> right click -> change dwFlags -> check IS_INTERLEAVED and HAS_INDEX, and uncheck all others, if any others are checked.
-> OK -> Apply Changes

Since VDM uses those flags, this could be the issue.

Zhnujm
18th December 2003, 23:03
I tried both, no difference. I tried the same file with only 1 soundtrack, its also the same.
Anybody know what this Split: Yes/No means in GSpot ?

alexnoe
18th December 2003, 23:23
I *guess* it means:

yes: AC3 frames might be split apart at chunk borders
no: AC3 frames never are split apart at chunk borders

I've looked at the files of VDubMod more closely in a hex editor and the information window: It uses a Standard index pattern of 8192 frames, and writes a dwSuggestedBufferSize value of 0 (which is weird, because I have already seen files misbehaving due to this). It writes a padding granularity of 0, while avi-mux gui writes 2.

You can try those settings...you would need to set dwSuggestedBufferSize/dwPaddingGranularity (for the entire file, not for each single stream) also in a hex editor.

Zhnujm
20th December 2003, 20:13
Good news, the file plays smooth now. :)
Bad news, i replaced almost everything i could find in the header with the VdubMod values so i need a few weeks to find out wich setting it was exactly...

Zhnujm
20th December 2003, 23:34
Originally posted by alexnoe
I found one: I write a frame rate of 10000000/400000, while VDub writes 25/1.
However, if this were the problem, AVI-Mux GUI standard AVIs should not work either on that player

I should have tried this setting first, this IS the problem, the dwRate and dwScale setting. After changing this to 25/1 everything runs smooth, whatever interleave setting. :rolleyes:

alexnoe
20th December 2003, 23:37
Fine. AVI-Mux GUI 1.15.6 is up, writing dwRate/dwScale so that the numbers are as low as possible (greatest common factor of dwRate and dwScale will be 1). Of course, this is not the only change...

Zhnujm
21st December 2003, 22:01
Works perfect now with my elta 8883, also opendml with legacy index. :)

alexnoe
21st December 2003, 22:16
And what about open-dml without legacy checked? What about files larger than 2 GB?

Mister Nobody
22nd December 2003, 10:26
Just thought I would mention this:

I have also noticed that files created with AVIMUX 1.15.5 and earlier versions would not play with the official Divx software player ('the playa').

So it would seem that it was not just hardware players that didn't like the 10,000,000/40,000 values for dwRate/dwScale.

Mister Nobody

MrMine
22nd December 2003, 15:44
GREAT!!!
Now with my elta 8883 it's wonderful!!!!
With avimux 1.15.6 it's perfect!!!

Thnks Alexnoe!

Zhnujm
22nd December 2003, 22:19
Originally posted by alexnoe
And what about open-dml without legacy checked? What about files larger than 2 GB?

Tried some settings:
opendml with legacy index - ok
opendml without legacy index - ok
opendml disabled - ok
cbr frame mode - ok
rec lists - dont work

files above 2GB:
avimux: plays to a specific point and stops
vdubmod: no seeking, no audio switching, stops at a specific point

(i think this point is not the 2GB limit, its before)

but i have not yet seen a divx player that plays avis >2GB ;)

MrMine
23rd December 2003, 11:18
So,
as i said now with avimux 1.15.6 there are no problem to
see divx with ac3 audio on my elta 8883.....
but.....ehhehe.....
I've noticed a point of difficult (choppy video and choppy audio)
in terminator 3.

Ac3 audio is at 384 kb and the bitrate noticed by Gspot is 1437 kb!

i think it is resolvible by setting another interleave!
I've setted to 250 (default).

Alexnoe can you tell me which is the relation between
the setting of interleave and Ac3 bitrate in your avimux?

Very thnks

alexnoe
23rd December 2003, 14:39
There should not be such a connection between bitrate and interleave. Unfortunately, you can only try :(
I have also noticed that files created with AVIMUX 1.15.5 and earlier versions would not play with the official Divx software player ('the playa').
Such a bug is understandable for settop players (problems with division of large integers maybe), but it is a shame for software players...