PDA

View Full Version : Ripping subtitles in graphical format help please !!!

OverDead
3rd November 2003, 18:55
Hi guys I really need help here ..

I need to rip some Arabic subtitles. So first I used VobSub but the subtitles that it produced are out of synch because there time added each
time the vob id changes so subtitles are twice longer than the movie. Second I have used Subrip witch basically uses the OCR, but since OCR cannot
recognize Arabic language then it is not an option for me. So I tried to save to bmp files...
1- I got more 1500 BMPs witch is not really practical
2- All the graphical formats are not recognized in any divx player and you can't convert them.

So is there any solution or I just have to forget about it?
Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the long post and the bad English.

smiller667
5th November 2003, 12:23
Hi & welcome to the board. I am not a regular vobsub user, but as nobody else has answered, I will try to offer some suggestions.

As for vobsub indexing, did you try to manually edit the .idx file to fix the sync? Yes, I know it is a hassle :(. Try inserting negative delays at the vobid changes.

Which is your target player? A divx standalone? I am not sure if any of those will support idx/sub, maybe check the hardware players section.

ChristianHJW
5th November 2003, 15:29
Originally posted by OverDead
[B]Hi guys I really need help here ..
2- All the graphical formats are not recognized in any divx player and you can't convert them.

Once you installed DVobSub, any DirectShow based player can read the extracted vobsub subtitles ( .sub/.idx ) if they are named like the AVI/OGM/MKV and stored in the same folder, and play them together with the movie.

MKV ( matroska ) will soon offer the possibility to store the vobsubs inside the file, together with the DivX video stream and any audio stream under the sun. This was working already, but was changed now and will be released with a new official version of mkvmerge soon ( pre-alpha available already, on demand ). And by then the VLC guys and Gabest will have playback working also i guess ;) ....

OverDead
16th November 2003, 12:53
Hi again...

Well this time I have some good news. I finally did it. I just found the magic tool, and the amazing thing is that I had it all the time it's MS Excel, I had to try ALL the subtitle editing tools ever created but excel was the one I needed. If you remember I said that the subrip graphical format subtitles were useless and the vobsub subtitles were out of sync, well I had just to combine them together. So I opened the subrip subtitle (the pinnacle impression txt format) with excel who identified the columns, and did the same to the vobsub idx file. I just had copy-paste the column containing the correct subtitles timing in the txt file to the idx file. There was another little problem concerning the filepos but that wasn't a big deal. And here I am, I just finished the whole process in 20 minutes! I have tested this on 4 movies having the same problem and it works!!
Now I have some great subtitles that just need to burned....

Bye

Thanx a lot for your help

:)