PDA

View Full Version : extract svcd subs - vob2sub compliance problem

pepipocpoc
3rd November 2003, 16:25
Hi everybody,

I wondered -and wandered so much- if there is a way to get vob2sub extracted subtitles to work properly. I may be dumb, but I have read, and search, and read again, and search again and again, and finally didn't find anything working.

Vob2sub extracts ok all the subtitles I need, the sub file seems to be ok too, BUT can't be opened by any other program than text editors...

I tried Carles' guide, but still get this damn "unsupported format", whitchever subtitle editor I use. Seems that I don't even know how to change the header, and the more I trie, the more I get lost. Am I a brick?

Please show me the way, anyone.

Well, we can put it a different way : how to extract selectable subtitles from mpg files and convert them to *.sup files ? Whitch tools and procedures ?

Thnx

smiller667
5th November 2003, 00:02
Hi & welcome to the board. I have never used vob2sub to extract subs from an svcd, but I just tried it now. I don't know Carles' guide (but I'd be grateful for a link), I just used vobsub (there is also a gui for it).

The .sub file generated is basically (or fully?) in (win)submux format. This is essentially the same as Philips SVCD designer with a few differences.
Philips is like this:# PHILIPS SVCD DESIGNER 1.5 - 2.0 SUBTITLES FILE
#
[HEADER]
TITLE
FRAMERATE PAL
CONTRAST (0 15 15 15)

[LIST]
subcvd0000.bmp 00:00:27,36 00:00:32,48 352 050 185 441
subcvd0001.bmp 00:00:35,08 00:00:35,88 032 050 343 441

vob2sub is like this:
subcvd0000.bmp 00:00:27,36 00:00:32,48 352 50 185 441
subcvd0001.bmp 00:00:35,08 00:00:35,88 32 50 343 441
The main difference is the presence or absence of the header, the use of leading zeros for the coordinates and the use of tabstops vs. space between the "columns".

You can modify the vobsub scriptfile so that you can open and convert it in e.g. subtitle workshop to either srt (for srt2sup) or MicroDVD (for dvdsuptools).

Alternatively, use submux-dvd to add the vob2sub .sub/bmps to an existing vob (no editing required). The resulting vob is usually not dvd compliant (size & block alignment), but you can extract a .sup file using vobedit (might be problematic if you are dealing with multiple vobids) or vobsub plus sub2sup.

There's probably a more easy way to do all this :) ...

pepipocpoc
5th November 2003, 16:04
Thank you very very much, smiller667, and, waoh, what an answer! I don't know where to start from.

Maybe from the begining.
About Carles' guide, I don't know how to put a link, but it's easy to find, just search "vob2sub" in subtitles forum, the posts arn't plethorics.

Then you wrote about "modify the vobsub scriptfile" -do you mean vob2sub?- but, I'm not sure to understand (bloody foreign language). Is "scriptfile" the obtained *.sub file (bloody so-much-to-learn) or another magic scroll to make vob2sub give perfectly compliant files (bloody fairy)?

In fact, since my first post, I succesfully converted vob2sub files to sup, using different text editors, but, my, what a work, so many wasted time, danm, the sun is bright, birds are chirping... Oh! I just forgot. It seems you need to convert the bmps also ; the right end of each one is displayed at he left end when using srt2sup. Just open those wrong bmps and save again with a graphic editor -e.g. irfanview.

So, indeed, I'd like an easier way. Maybe submux-dvd, but I haven't find it... But I'm still surprised there isn't any other program than vob2sub that can extract subtitles from mpg files. I know this is part of the Winsubmux future plans (hurry up, please, new_age...),then, wait and see.

10x

pepipocpoc
26th November 2003, 14:58
Hi, guvs

I'm surprised nobody gave any other answer.
Since smiller667 help, I figured a way.

1 - Extract all needed subs (with vob2sub)
2 - Batchconvert obtained bmps -negative, max. contrast (I use Irfanview)
3 - Edit obtained *.sub and save as *.srt (I use UltraEdit)
4 - convert *.srt to *.sup (with... srt2sup ;) )
5 - remux all (IfoEdit)
6 - don't forget the color trick.

Any suggestion?