PDA

View Full Version : Use External SUbtitles

juacapo
24th October 2003, 00:32
Hi I'm new in this so i wanted to know how do i do to put external subtitles, well, i know how to do this but the problem is that the some lines dont apper in the final file, the lines that dont appear are the ones that has double lines!, so my question is how I fix this!! thank you!

jkwarras
24th October 2003, 08:41
Originally posted by juacapo
Hi I'm new in this so i wanted to know how do i do to put external subtitles, well, i know how to do this but the problem is that the some lines dont apper in the final file, the lines that dont appear are the ones that has double lines!, so my question is how I fix this!! thank you!

POst this and maybe someone could help you:

- Type of subs (*.srt, *.sub, *.ssa...)
- Copy & paste lines that don't appear.
- Player and version of directvobsub (vsfilter) if you're using this to display subtitles.

juacapo
24th October 2003, 17:45
I forgot! I have this problem with VCD permanent subtitles!, with any kind of format of subtitles, ssa, sub , txt! so please help me , how do i do to visualize properly the subtitles in the movie (the subtitles are burned to the picture)

smiller667
25th October 2003, 14:56
How did you encode the subs into your movie? Which plugin and which settings?

juacapo
25th October 2003, 22:07
i dont undersatnd i use permanent subtitles beacuse that is the only choice with VCDs and i used TMPGenc for the encoder

smiller667
26th October 2003, 14:03
Well, subtitles don't appear out of nowhere in your tmpgenc encodes ... that's what I mean.
Do you use dvobsub? An avisynth subtitle plugin?

jkwarras
26th October 2003, 15:56
@juancapo

I think your problem is some kind of error in the original subtitle file that your encoded permanently into the VCD. What i mean is that it obviously have an error structure, that's why this double lines don't show in the encoded file. You can manually open the subtitle into notepad and fix/remove the lines with problems or open the file with some subtitle editor. "Submax" software has an structure error repair. Hope it help

juacapo
26th October 2003, 23:18
i am using the progrma dvd2svcd to make vcds and hte program uses the avisynth to put the subtitles, so its something of the avysinth!! and the subtitles are perfect!! they dont have errors!! i thinmk i have to modify something of avysinth to make the subtitles work proeperly
sorry for my english im from argentina!

jkwarras
27th October 2003, 00:43
Sorry but i've never done a permanent subtitle. Try to post your question in the "VCD & SVCD" section in the doom9 forum, as is pure VCD related.

smiller667
27th October 2003, 17:57
Now things are becoming slighly clearer :) ... I have never done what you tried, I just did a quick test.

For the two-line subs, do you get no display at all or does it just show the first line of the sub? From what I tried (see this link (http://www.angelfire.com/film/smiller667/Clipboard01.jpg)), the default Y-position for external subs is rather low on the image (400 & 480 for NTSC & PAL, resp.). Thus if you watch them on a standalone player plus TV, they might just disappear in the overscan area. You should be able to see the subs if you play the vcd on your PC, though.

If this is the case, either move the subtitles further up into the picture ("Ext. Y-Pos." in the subtitles tab of dvd2svcd) or use a smaller subtitle font (less preferable). If dual-line subs don't show up at all, the subtitle file might be simply broken, as jkwarras suggested.

juacapo
27th October 2003, 23:53
what happends is that dual lines doesnt appear at all!!!!! and I know the subtites are good!!!! becasue whem i use (for example) virtual dub to display the subtitles it displays it properly

jkwarras
28th October 2003, 11:41
Originally posted by juacapo
what happends is that dual lines doesnt appear at all!!!!! and I know the subtites are good!!!! becasue whem i use (for example) virtual dub to display the subtitles it displays it properly

Did you try to post your question into the VCD forum i suggest you?

As smiller667 suggest maybe you're having some problems viewing subtitles out of a certain region of the screen. But obviously, as ALL dual lines don't show up, i must admit i don't see another reason but:

1) You have error in the structure of your subtitle. Ckeck it with the software i've recommend you in previous post. Sometimes it also can happen that the extension of the subtitle doesn't match with the real format of it, for ex. i've seen a lot of subtitles that comes with a *.sub extension but when you open it with notepad is a *.srt structure. Sometimes the subtitle just doesn't work in certain lines whatever you do, try to convert it to another format and try again.

2) Are you sure that the software/plugin in TMPGenc support your input subtitle?

I can't help you more than that as i said i don't make permanent subtitles. Please post this threath in this forum:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36

jkwarras
28th October 2003, 11:47
Oh, and look at this threaths, maybe you'll find some answers. I've done a simple search into this forum lookin for "permanent subtitle"

http://forum.doom9.org/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=653167&sortby=&sortorder=