PDA

View Full Version : CC to Subs and making it look like normal subs in Scenarist

mdkusr
22nd October 2003, 19:30
Just some tidbits in getting CC's to look like what I want when converting to subs. I think the guide in Doom 9's CC to Scenarist subtitles needs an update. Anyway, it is partially correct in the way you extract them, but skip using subrip to convert to the .sst portion and only make the .ssa file then follow the rest of this:

1. Find a movie with subtitles colors the way you like it. Make a partial rip of a couple of the subs from this movie using Subrip, and make sure you save the .sst file before closing Subrip (This can be done while it is extracting the bitmaps). We are going to use this bitmap as our color guide.

2. Next, open up a bitmap and note what colors the text is saved as. When using MaestroSBT, use these colors in the 'rendering' portion. make sure you set the AA color to the same as the text color, otherwise you will get ugly looking fonts. The guide on Doom9 has the AA color set differently than the text color and there is little you can do to make it look good, so just set it to the text color and be done with it. Generate your bitmaps using the rest of Doom 9's guide. Make sure you uncheck the mark 2 in rendering size, otherwise it will make the bitmaps 718x478 and Scenarist will not like it.

3. When MaestroSBT is done, open up it's .sst file it created, along with the .sst from the partial rip from the other movie that you took from step one. Convert all color/contrast ratios from the partial .sst over to the new .sst before importing into Scenarist. Make sure you change everything to look normal. And example is MaestroSBT will write the Display_Area to (0 0 719 479). Scenarist won't like that so change it to (0 2 719 479).

4. After muxing the movie with Scenarist, use IFOEdit to copy the PGC color map from the dummy movie in step one to your new movie and you will have subtitles with the correct color map as in the dummy movie from step 1.

Anyway, this is my solution to making my subtitles look the way I want when ripping them from CC's. Let me know if you have any questions.

-M

Eyes`Only
1st November 2003, 18:49
I wrote that guide over a year ago, using an older version of Subrip, so yeah, I guess it is time for a revision. At the time I wrote it, I wasn't sure anyone would actually want to do it!