PDA

View Full Version : virtual dub or divx?

angelleye
17th October 2003, 22:03
I use VDubMod and Divx 5.1. I've been capturing 640x480 HuffyYUV and then using the VDubMod filters to resize/deinterlace/crop.

I've noticed, though, that within the divx setup it has crop and resize and deinterlace features also. I never touch em cuz I did that in VDub. Is this the correct way? Or should I be doing it within the Divx instead? Or both?

Also...if I captured at 640x480 and cropped off 8 from the right and 8 from the bottom making my resolution 632x472...which res do I want to enter into the Divx Profile? 640x480 or 632x472?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fccHandler
18th October 2003, 04:18
Originally posted by angelleye
I've noticed, though, that within the divx setup it has crop and resize and deinterlace features also.
I never use them either, but they could be useful if you are using the "fast recompress" mode in VirtualDub (to avoid colorspace conversion, for example).

AFAIK, you should always enter the post-processed size in the DivX Profile dialog, since this is what will actually be written to the file.

Justinus
31st October 2003, 13:17
Originally posted by angelleye
I've noticed, though, that within the divx setup it has crop and resize and deinterlace features also. I never touch em cuz I did that in VDub. Is this the correct way? Or should I be doing it within the Divx instead? Or both?
If you have no problem, you don't need to use crop, resize or deinterlace in DivX. Sometimes I had problems with cropping in AviSynth and that I used crop function in Divx.
Also...if I captured at 640x480 and cropped off 8 from the right and 8 from the bottom making my resolution 632x472...which res do I want to enter into the Divx Profile? 640x480 or 632x472?
As long as your input resolution of horizontal is multiple of 4 and vertical is multiple of 2, it's fine, except you want to play on TV or something.