PDA

View Full Version : DVDShrink.info: 3240 hits from US Government??

ddlooping
14th October 2003, 14:46
Hi all. :)

Since the beginning of October, DVDShrink.info has received 3240 "hits" from "US Government" (country). :eek:
What does it mean and should I be worried about it? :)

Doom9
14th October 2003, 14:52
it means that even employees of the US government are using DVD Shrink ;) No, seriously, those are hits by .gov domain names. Even a hit by fbi.gov doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.. there could be FBI employees backing up their DVDs as well..

ddlooping
14th October 2003, 14:54
Thanks for the reply, Doom9. :)

"...there could be FBI employees backing up their DVDs as well..."
That's what I was thinking. :D

echooff
14th October 2003, 15:33
I wouldn't worry too much. I am probably a large number of those hits. My job requires me to monitor various systems on the base I work at, (i.e. electrical, phone, ect) mostly sitting here doing nothing. They allow me to surf the net but not download. So I spend my day productively finding things I want to look at closer once I get home hehe:D. Its also why I have such a large post number in such a short period of time. I read every post every day I am at work. If nothing else I have learned a lot. BTW a large number of the link sites people post are unreachable to me at work because of their filtering software. This site is one of the few of its type I can reach. I find it rediculous that I can't get to the Guides page.:angry:

echo off

ddlooping
14th October 2003, 15:42
"I find it rediculous that I can't get to the Guides page."

Are you refering to the DVDShrink.info guides page?

echooff
14th October 2003, 18:12
Just about any of the guides pages. I was specifically refering to the doom9 guides at the time. The filters they place on the system block us from a lot of sites and don't seem to have any rime or reason for the block. I am no longer willing to go around the blocks because I got caught once. They chewed my a@@ and made dire threats for future infractions.:eek: :devil:

ddlooping
14th October 2003, 18:34
Sorry to hear that, echooff.

My guides are in Flash format, which might explain the block you're experiencing.
I don't know about others though.

echooff
14th October 2003, 19:10
No, its the lan filters. I'll get a error message in great big lettering something to the effect of THIS SITE IS LABELED MP3 OR ILLEGAL CONTENT Something like that. I just locate sites I want to check out and email the web addresses to myself.

ddlooping
14th October 2003, 19:14
oh I see, thanks for the info.
Do you know how the filters are configured?

echooff
15th October 2003, 18:19
Sorry for the late answer, but I was off work when you inquired. I used to know but they changed out their setup and won't let me near, hehe:D . I could find out but this is a military base and since 9/11 they have been a little on edge.:eek: Best for me to just leave them alone.

b0b0b0b
18th October 2003, 03:44
Actually, if some government dept were investigating something, don't they have magic powers that would make their browsing inconspicuous?

Kedirekin
18th October 2003, 04:24
Covert Ops - copy that hard drive :cool:

Richk50
20th October 2003, 18:43
"Since the beginning of October, DVDShrink.info has received 3240 "hits" from "US Government" (country).
What does it mean and should I be worried about it?"

If I was you I'd go into hiding. Just kidding. It means nothing. A lot of people work for the government and they're just interested in how to use the program. Like everyone else.

ddlooping
20th October 2003, 19:09
Thanks all for your replies. :)

I'm not really worried, just curious. ;)

The number of US Government hits as grown to 4719.
Not much compared to the total number for October so far: 2244496. :D

I recently changed host because DVDShrink.info was always going above its allowed bandwith, 5GB.
I'm now allowed 20GB/month, but already at 15GB. :eek:

I'm thinking of adding a "Donate" button on my guides page:
"If you use and appreciate my guides, please feel free to donate", lol.