- fixed scripts problems of vdubmod instroduced in 0.28.7.1

Changes in GK 0.28.7.1

- fixed occasional problems with subs split
- updated VDubMod and splitting now works correctly with 1.5.10.1 again
- correct version of DGbob.dll is packaged now

Changes in GK 0.28.7

- added support for muxing of mpa files
- GK can be run without admin right on NT-based systems with no problems now
- new deinterlace filter KernelDeInt (Kernel Deinterlace) which replaced Field deinterlace
- auto&smart crop are now producing width mod 4 (to fix TomsMoComp related problems)
- autosplit is improved (audio parameters are properly used when splitting)
- both XviD and DivX pass settings are now correctly picked up from default to avoid resetting when dealing with different version of codecs, like XviD 1.0 for instance (now whatever was saved as default will not be overwritten on encoding window)
- implemeted some registry inserts on startup, so that there is no more need in running nandub & vdubmod at least once after installation
- update tools: VSFilter(non-unicode by deafult), Decomb 5.1, VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1, BeSweet 1.5b23, Avisynth 2.5.3 (with it's own installer - no more screwups)
- updated installer (new compression - should take less space)

Changes in GK 0.28.6.3

- comp test result of DivX 3.11 is now loaded correctly (bug was introduced in 0.28.6)

Changes in GK 0.28.6.2

- restore of custom matrix for XviD is no longer zero last byte
- autosplit of subs fixed
- autosplit of files with VBR MP3 fixed
- BeSweet updated to 1.5b23
- fixed problem with avisynth plugin path which resulted in inablity to open d2v files

Changes in GK 0.28.6.1

- exit menu on tray icon is now working
- new BeSweet.exe included to solve "finalize error" problem
- default DivX 5 setting now keeps info about which pass was selected (i.e. first, single, second, original etc.) and those settings are never overwritten automatically
- XviD custom matrixes now can be used with GK
- DVDDecrypter 3.1.7.0 included

Changes in GK 0.28.6

- added tray icon menu
- greatly improved auto & smart crop features
- made autosplit work with VDubMod 1.5.4.1 or later
- fixed divided by zero exception when opening xvid stats files
- fixed paths problems when suddenly applications could not be started and moreover you couldn't change the path on the path tab.
- added undot() filter which is used by default
- SetWorkingDir is not working properly on some systems, so it was removed from avisynth script
- Updated tools in the rippack: DVD2AVI, VDubMod, Besweet, R4R.

Also changes included in GK 0.28.5.3 beta

- GK uses decomb.dll version 5 and dgbob.dll version 1.6
- Fixed resize problems when using VCD/SVCD settings as well as Fool CCE option for avisynth 2.5.x
- Fixed access violation error when trying to open AVI files (big thanks to Jeffster for testing and tHe gloCh for hints)
- Added last pass settings (useful for DivX 5.1 and higher), make sure that you enable this feature on options tab
- added language selection dialog for the first run of GK
- fixed path problems when doing autosplit of subs
- added tray icon when minimized
===================================================================
IMPORTANT: starting with version 0.28.6 GK is using new DVD2AVI/mpeg2dec3.dll combination made by Neuron2. If you planning to use different versions of those tools make sure you replace both of them (say with DVD2AVI 1.77.3 and Nic's mpeg2dec3.dll). Usage of those tools outside the combination is not recommended and is not supported in any way by the author and GK.

The name of DVD2AVI.exe is also changed to DVD2AVIdg.exe, so make sure you update this in both GK and R4R

version of R4R (0.5) included with this rippack works only with new DVD2AVIdg!

===================================================================
P.S. I didn't think at first that this version is going to be released, but unfortunately development of 0.28.6 takes longer than expected and now I'm also involved in developing something completely new, so this version should do for the time being.

Digga
14th October 2003, 13:12
just downloaded gk 0.28.6 and checked out the new tray icon
restore works fine, but exit doesn't work at all (on WinXP).
if you got some time, please consider to have a look at that.
otherwise everything looks good so far, nice work.

-->Are you sure that it's not the icon that just stay there ?
(Actually I'm sure that it is - application is closed anyway. If you move mouse of the icon - it disappears, right?)

--->yes, I'm quite sure, when I hover the mouse over the icon, it stays there...
if I press exit in the tray menu, the icon stays there, gk as well. if I then double-click the icon gk opens again (though it should be closed due to my exit command...)

len0x
14th October 2003, 13:39
Originally posted by Digga
if I press exit in the tray menu, the icon stays there, gk as well. if I then double-click the icon gk opens again (though it should be closed due to my exit command...)

that's funny - I never experienced that. Does anyone else have such problem?

augi
14th October 2003, 15:01
I want to download only the .exe file of the new Gknot version. I already have all the other programs of the rippack (except Neuron2's dvd2avi version, but I can also download it seperately). I searched in the site, but I could only download the rippack and a codec pack. Why don't you distribute a "clean" version of Gknot, that only includes the .exe ?

len0x
14th October 2003, 15:10
Not every GK user is reading this forum and hence knows how to get new versions of DVD2AVI, VDubMod, R4R, decomb.dll, undot.dll, dgbob.dll, vsfilter.dll and so on... I don't want to answer questions like "I installed exe version and something doesn't work" and that's why whenever I do significal changes in several areas of GK I always bundle them into full rippack.

augi
14th October 2003, 15:18
Ok, I understand. Thanks for the quick answer:)

Morbo
14th October 2003, 17:22
After spending a few days trying to get a movie right,along comes a new version....:cool:

Great Work!

One thing I will say about it(over the beta),thank you for Vmod's status window NOT popping up......I was getting sick of closing it..

Again,another nice work,....

BTW to people upgrading,delete the whole folder and start over,It usually SOLVES most problems....

Cheers!(now to go down the road and pick up Reloaded!)

berndy2001
14th October 2003, 20:02
good work!

Originally posted by len0x
that's funny - I never experienced that. Does anyone else have such problem? yes ;)

btw. i think i should update the german language...

len0x
14th October 2003, 20:25
Now I know - I didn't migrate a small piece of code from alpha version
(where it was originally designed) to the main one, that's why I didn't have the error (I'm using alphas mostly...)

Subwars
15th October 2003, 03:52
with the new dvd2avi when saving the project there is the normall [f4]key save project but there is a new one under it "save project (1.76)" i presume we are using the new save project but wanting to know for sure?

bobsc
15th October 2003, 05:14
From what I understand from the Important notice above you have to change the alternative mpeg2dec.dll option to mpeg2dec3dg.dll. If so is mpeg2dec3.dll still needed? If I delete mpeg2dec3.dll I get Information "Before you can use this you have to put MPEG2DEC3.Dll into your avisynth plugin directory!".
Also, from what I read DVD2AVIdg.exe, DVD2AVIdg.vfp and mpeg2dec3dg.dll should be in the avisynth plugin directory.

len0x
15th October 2003, 10:39
@Subwars

Both version of d2v should work within GK. 1.76 option is there only for apps which can't read new format...

@bobsc

There is no special action needed if you install full rippack. Iportand notice is only for those ppl who what to use older versions of the tools. In fact mpeg2dec3.dll which you find in the root dir of GK after installation - it's the same mpeg2dec3dg.dll which you can find in DVD2AVI folder. I just didn't want to rename it...
(GK is using mpeg2dec3.dll always internally for opening D2V files, so if you plugin dir is different from GK root dir then just copy mpeg2dec3.dll from one place to another and you'll be ok)

Subwars
15th October 2003, 11:25
ok thanks so best to use the normall f4 save thats the new format the other one is the older style format of saving

Subwars
15th October 2003, 11:57
i just made a new project with the new dvd2avi using the normall save project and tried to open in in gknot and it won't open it's coming up with "File is not a valid dvd2avi project, avi or avs file" i tried uninstalling and deleting everything and did a full reinstall but still no go:confused:

len0x
15th October 2003, 12:04
Originally posted by Subwars
i just made a new project with the new dvd2avi using the normall save project and tried to open in in gknot and it won't open it's coming up with "File is not a valid dvd2avi project, avi or avs file" i tried uninstalling and deleting everything and did a full reinstall but still no go:confused:

what about another version of DVD2AVI - are you still able to open those projects ?

Subwars
15th October 2003, 12:15
yep just tried a d2v file from a different version and it opened it was version "1.76 LOLI.J Modified by dvd2svcd 1.05"
i'm gonna try making a project with that 2nd save project in the new dvd i'll let ya know soon

EDIT:

ok i just made a new project file with the new dvd2avi with the package but used that (1.76) save and still same problem not a valid file

len0x
15th October 2003, 12:36
Is your mpeg2dec3.dll in GK root folder has size 254018 bytes and date "02/10/03 18:55" ?

Subwars
15th October 2003, 12:54
ahh i would say that the file i have is the same one but the date is the 3rd not the 2nd

details:

file: mpeg2dec3.dll
size: 248KB (254,018bytes)
size on disk 252KB (258,048 bytes)

created: Friday, October 03, 2003, 3:55:48 AM

len0x
15th October 2003, 14:11
well i'm afraid it's one of those errors when we don't really know what's causing it - if you search the forum you'll find a couple of suggestions (very weird ones though) which you can try...

bobsc
15th October 2003, 14:12
@len0x
OK so you renamed mpeg2dec3dg.dll to mpeg2dec3.dll, but in dg's VFAPI Readme it says not to rename it. So now I wonder if everything works as intended.

len0x
15th October 2003, 14:35
Originally posted by bobsc

OK so you renamed mpeg2dec3dg.dll to mpeg2dec3.dll, but in dg's VFAPI Readme it says not to rename it. So now I wonder if everything works as intended.

VFAPI indeed requires mpeg2dec3dg.dll but in _the_same_folder_ as vfp plugin. So i left it there unchanged for those wishing to use DVD2AVI outside GK. GG on the other hand uses only mpeg2dec3.dll which reside in it's folder, that's why I renamed it there...

len0x
15th October 2003, 15:59
I'm determined to keep GK as bug free as possible, so I'm planning to release an update 0.28.6.1 which should fix:

- exit should work on tray icon
- besweet.exe updated to fix finalize error

(plus I will add a couple of small internal features)
If there anything else serious I should fix please let me know asap.

bobsc
15th October 2003, 16:27
Add DVD Decrypter 3.1.7.0.

len0x
15th October 2003, 16:27
Add DVD Decrypter 3.1.7.0.

done already :)

Tuning
15th October 2003, 16:57
Can u add in FPS dropdown menu a 24.975fps option?For making correct calculation in bitrate and frames when using RePAL plugin.If this requires complex change to sourcecode,please neglect this post.

Thanks
:)

len0x
15th October 2003, 17:02
Originally posted by Tuning
Can u add in FPS dropdown menu a 24.975fps option?For making correct calculation in bitrate and frames when using RePAL plugin.If this requires complex change to sourcecode,please neglect this post.

Not in this version. But I have a bunch of requests for a custom frame rate which I will consider at some point (unfortunately it's not just a matter of adding values to that combo box).

Aqa
15th October 2003, 19:06
I haven’t experienced any bugs (yet) everything seems to work fine, Great work as usual, do have one question though! How come Avimuxgui no longer is available in the rip pack, any specific reason?

Xndo
15th October 2003, 22:08
biggest question would be who in the right minds still use avi's? these days its all about SVCD's and ogm's not to mention the new mkv formats that's starting to become more mainsream.

Angelus
15th October 2003, 22:37
biggest question would be who in the right minds still use avi's?

How about the hundreds of thousands of people who still encode using Divx or Xvid? They had an article in PCMag a while back about how the boom of divx will come in the next year...perhaps with the ability to download streaming movies via divx encoded avi's. And with the emergence of Divx compatible dvd players, it will only become more mainstream.

That's my two cents :D

Angelus
15th October 2003, 22:42
Correction: well maybe not hundreds of thousands of ppl that use divx or xvid, but thousands then...

ZZZERO
16th October 2003, 10:38
Originally posted by Morbo

One thing I will say about it(over the beta),thank you for Vmod's status window NOT popping up......I was getting sick of closing it..

For those of us that like the status window, how do we get it back? Display status window is checked in Vmod preferences, but the window still doesn't appear.

len0x
16th October 2003, 10:40
Originally posted by ZZZERO
For those of us that like the status window, how do we get it back? Display status window is checked in Vmod preferences, but the window still doesn't appear.

Only manually while it's running: Dub In Progress -> Show status Window

Angelus
16th October 2003, 17:45
I had a quick question. Before I upgraded to Gk .28.6.1 I had updated VDubMod to the version that is included now, 1.5.4.1. However, I uninstalled everything when I upgraded to the new GK and now I notice when I encode I see that VDubMod includes the audio with the source while its encoding; meaning that when Divx creates a movie file b4 it mux's the audio, it has the source audio in it. Before it seemed that audio processing was disabled and when the movie file was created w/no audio. So actually now the movie file it creates b4 muxing my mp3 audio is about 150-200mb greater than that of the finished avi.

Perhaps there is an option for audio processing disabled from source in VDubMod (which I think there is) but I'm not sure. I use GK to encode movies I capture from tv and those are the files i noticed doing this after I upgraded. I hope that I explained this well enough. Thanks!

Digga
16th October 2003, 17:59
exit command works fine now in 0.28.6.1 :)
however, one minor thing: the installer says it's going to install dvd-decrypter 3.1.6.0, though it installs 3.1.7.0 as it should... just wanted to let you know.

len0x
16th October 2003, 18:13
Originally posted by Digga

however, one minor thing: the installer says it's going to install dvd-decrypter 3.1.6.0, though it installs 3.1.7.0 as it should... just wanted to let you know.

that one slipped from me :)
I will replace the installer - no one will notice :)

AmigaFuture
17th October 2003, 01:24
Hi. Has anyone else noticed that this feature is broken? It broke once I upgraded to 0.28.6. I've uninstalled everything & reinstalled with 0.28.6 & it's still not working.

I look around & didn't find anyone else talking about this.

Thanks.

len0x
17th October 2003, 10:58
Originally posted by AmigaFuture
Has anyone else noticed that this feature is broken? It broke once I upgraded to 0.28.6. I've uninstalled everything & reinstalled with 0.28.6 & it's still not working.

hm... afair I was fixing a bug there for 0.28.5.3, but nobody cared to test it properly :(

Tuning
17th October 2003, 12:34
Thanks len0x,

Everything seems to be working as expected.Great job!.;)

Digga
17th October 2003, 12:50
"all right, tray icon again.
I don't wanna test your patience len0x, but...
I was wondering, would it be possible that you could choose what gk does when you minimize?
option 1: go to taskbar
option 2: go to tray
opt. 1 would be usefull for ppl with a already high number of tray-icons, so they don't add a n o t h e r one again.
opt. 2 would be usefull for ppl like me, that are sometimes running differnt windows during encodes, thus haveing not much space at the taskbar (so thx again for tray-mode).
if this is not easily implented, just forget about it;
but if it can be done with a justifying amount of work, it would add to the flexibility of gk as an app that fits everones needs."

@lenox:
--> so, how are your thoughts on this matter? maybe this option could be realised for gk 0.29? no big deal if not, but as you didn't put it into 0.28.6.1, I just wanted to bring up the subject again :cool:

bobsc
17th October 2003, 13:13
I was wondering why it says not to use the -g option for azid on the audio tab? Better yet could hybridgain be added.

AmigaFuture
17th October 2003, 20:13
@len0x

hm... afair I was fixing a bug there for 0.28.5.3, but nobody cared to test it properly :(

I care to. :) I use it a lot, at least I used to. How may I help since I'm not sure exactly how to "test it properly" other than to just use it every time with 2 to 3 CD splits at different sizes?
If you're willing to fix it, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Thanks for your time.

colordog
17th October 2003, 21:51
@len0x

Any way that we could set an option or registry key for having the VDubMod progress window come up? I know it falls under 'love or hate' it, but I always enjoyed being able to walk up to the computer and quickly see how much time was left on an encode, without having to do the pull-down menu, which is sluggish due to encoding.

I miss it!

Congrats on this new version.

len0x
18th October 2003, 17:05
@AmigaFuture

I'm definitely willing to fix that. I'll PM you if I need some testing...

@Colordog

If you want you can bug VDubMod developers to include this behaviour in settings (so that you can choose the behaviour). At the moment it's hardcoded that if VdubMod started from command line it doesn't show status window.

idanm19
20th October 2003, 00:24
auto-split subtitles dosn't work on 0.28.6.1...
checked 0.28.5.2 and it dose work here ;0)

len0x
20th October 2003, 11:07
Originally posted by idanm19
auto-split subtitles dosn't work on 0.28.6.1...
checked 0.28.5.2 and it dose work here ;0)

already reported :) I know how to fix it now... will soon be added into 0.28.6.2

Nazgulled
21st October 2003, 07:58
I can't encode movies with this version.
When the second pass starts nothing happens. Virtualdub is started and the window shows like it was encoding the movie but nothing besides the time on the info box is changing...

len0x
21st October 2003, 10:09
Originally posted by C-O-R-E-Y
I can't encode movies with this version.
When the second pass starts nothing happens. Virtualdub is started and the window shows like it was encoding the movie but nothing besides the time on the info box is changing...

You're using XviD right? is this your problem:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=824327&group_id=77391&atid=550084

I suggest you roll back to VDubMod 1.5.1.1 for the time being.

Nazgulled
21st October 2003, 13:28
yep, that's the problem.. i'll rollback to 1.5.1.1

thanks

ZZZERO
23rd October 2003, 06:29
Used Smart Crop all along with Tomsmocomp and got a Horizontal axis must be divisible by 4 error. Never had this error before so wonder if it is 0.28.6.1 related.

len0x
23rd October 2003, 09:05
Used Smart Crop all along with Tomsmocomp and got a Horizontal axis must be divisible by 4 error. Never had this error before so wonder if it is 0.28.6.1 related.

no, it's not. GK is fully YV12 compliant i.e. width is mod2 and height is mod4 (for interlacing). Some filters like tomsmocomp still have mod4 for width (which I think trbarry wanted to remove at some point, but didn't do it)

colordog
23rd October 2003, 14:59
I'm familiar with the issue that zzzero describes. It took me by surprise as well, since I use TomsMoComp quite often. It used to be that the width only needed to be divisble by 2, but indeed that number is now 4. I don't know if TomsMoComp got updated recently or not, but I'm positive that I used to do encode where pixel width was divisible by 2, but not 4.

With all the upgrades recently with GKnot x.0.6, and x.0.6.1, the new CodecPac, and DivX 5.1, and beta 5.1.1, I honestly don't recall exactly when it started happening. But I just assumed it was related to being an upgrade, and didn't think about it.

len0x
23rd October 2003, 15:12
Originally posted by C-O-R-E-Y
yep, that's the problem.. i'll rollback to 1.5.1.1

another solution would be - not to use lumi masking in XviD.
See here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=827072&group_id=65889&atid=512619

So I'll keep current version of VDubMod, but ppl have to be aware of that issue

Jeffster
26th October 2003, 13:03
I was wondering why it says not to use the -g option for azid on the audio tab? Better yet could hybridgain be added.

Take a look at the log file for your audio conversion, and I think you'll find that GK already uses HybridGain by default.

Jeff

AmigaFuture
26th October 2003, 20:11
@len0x

I'm definitely willing to fix that. I'll PM you if I need some testing...

Okay. :) So far Auto-Sub Splitting in 0.28.6.2 is working well.

TruckChase!
30th October 2003, 00:02
Changes in GK 0.28.6

- added undot() filter which is used by default

Assuming the source is clean, (DVD) why?

Angelus
30th October 2003, 00:19
I think undot() increases compression without degrading quality and without slowing down encoding at all either. So I think undot is a swell filter :D

TruckChase!
30th October 2003, 04:10
Originally posted by Angelus
I think undot() increases compression without degrading quality and without slowing down encoding at all either.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have any proof of that? Generally speaking I don't like to modify the source any more than I have to.Given what Undot() does, I can see how it can increase compressibility, but I can also see how it can soften an image. I searched the forum and I can't find any reason Undot() would be used 100% of the time, especially if your source doesn't have misquito noise.

What am I missing? TiA

r6d2
30th October 2003, 04:18
Originally posted by TruckChase!
I searched the forum and I can't find any reason Undot() would be used 100% of the time, especially if your source doesn't have misquito noise.
Well, in such a case, UnDot() will be totally harmless. But if there are dots, you better have then removed.

Angelus
30th October 2003, 04:20
maybe you've read this thread but people have been discussing undot and its use on DVD's.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63421

And if you ever have any doubt just edit the avs script that GKnot creates and comment out undot()

Bad Joker
4th November 2003, 01:41
hi,

i updated to the newest gknot 0.28.6.3 and i'm fine with it, especially with the new translations.

but there are still sone questions:

-what is the new laczos filter? is it better then the bicubic? what is exatly new on it?

-why i can't crop by pixel anymore like in the 0.26 release (enter the number by myself or do 1 pixel more), i have to put 2 pixels now, why?

-there are new field operations, are they all for NTSC (deinterlacing) and i can ignore them (because i just use PAL)?

-i just have a celeron cpu, so my avisynth crashes when i want to encode, what can i do about? (problem here is sse i think)

thanks in advance

Tuning
4th November 2003, 14:07
Originally posted by Bad Joker
-what is the new laczos filter? is it better then the bicubic? what is exatly new on it?
-why i can't crop by pixel anymore like in the 0.26 release (enter the number by myself or do 1 pixel more), i have to put 2 pixels now, why?
-there are new field operations, are they all for NTSC (deinterlacing) and i can ignore them (because i just use PAL)?

Lancazos filer is the sharpest filer among the filters.And it gives better results(sharpness)than bicubic resize.
i think the second Q relates to the encoder chracterestics,i.e most of encoders needs the resolution to be a multiple of 2.Thus you cannot have height like 225.
3Q:
No some of them a required to PAL DVDs also.

Bad Joker
4th November 2003, 18:40

-i just have a celeron cpu, so my avisynth crashes when i want to encode, what can i do about? (problem here is sse i think)

i got a temporary solution, i just deleted the undot() line out of my avs scripst, but that can't be a solution.

is there a way of disabling the filter? or is there a comparable filter, who supports non sse cpus?

bkam
4th November 2003, 18:41
Originally posted by AmigaFuture
Okay. :) So far Auto-Sub Splitting in 0.28.6.2 is working well. Just curious whether anyone else is having a problem that Gknot doesn't close the avi files after you use auto-split. For me I can't rename / delete the files after I use auto-split until I close Gknot, which can be inconvenient when I'm encoding. Lenox, I know I already reported it to the sourceforge site but I was curious whether it was just my comp.

Bad Joker
4th November 2003, 18:45

No some of them a required to PAL DVDs also.

first thanks for your reply

and which one are usefull? maybe a new manual for gknot will be written, where they are described.

len0x
4th November 2003, 18:47
and which one are usefull? maybe a new manual for gknot will be written, where they are described.

for PAL use FieldDeinterlace(no blend) - you won't be disappointed if you use it on interlaced source...

Alternatively if you go for small resolutions - you can use Smart Bob

Tuning
4th November 2003, 18:54
maybe a new manual for gknot will be written, where they are described.
Here (http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/gknot-main3.htm)based on 0.28.6.2.

Bad Joker
5th November 2003, 01:48
ok, finished my first rip with the new gknot version, divx3 2cd with ac3, 640x336, 1212 bitrate and 0.226 bits/pixel/frame.

but i'm not happy with my result, mostly every text is crizzled up (little dots around the letters) and picture is very blurry, maybe it's because of not used the undot()?

will there be a solution for non sse cpus or do i have to downgrade back to 0.27?

Bad Joker
14th November 2003, 21:27
hi,

why is the new version losing his configuration everytime i start it?

it pops up a windows with a yes/no button but no text. after this i have to reconfigure whole gknot new, why?

scrat
17th November 2003, 22:53
Hey!

I have installed GordianKnot 0.28.6 (the rippack) and updated it to version 0.28.6.3 but if a big problem.
If I wanna open a d2v-project I get the message 'Before you can use this you have to put MPEG2DEC3.Dll into your avisynth plugin directory!'. As far as I know is the avisynth-plugin directory the GordianKnot root directory and in this directory is the mpeg2dec3.dll.
Can anyone say me what's wrong?

The last time I've installed GordianKnot I've isntalled every programm by hand and I didn't had this problems. This is the first time I have this problem.

greetings,
scrat

len0x
17th November 2003, 23:13
have a look at the "paths settings" tab. there will be a path to plugins. make sure you point it to where all the plugins including mpeg2dec3.dll resides.

scrat
18th November 2003, 21:27
Hey!

Thanks - now it works.
Every path was right except of the path for the avisynt directory.

greetings,
scrat

Tuning
30th November 2003, 19:13
Now time for request, Is the right time for adding XviD 1.0 support. I have tested it once and there seems some problem in storing settings. Even if I set manually in options tab, the pass setting will be dissapeared afterwards. Therefore requesting XviD 1.0 support in GK.

Thanks len0x. If possible let it be a new year gift ?:).

len0x
30th November 2003, 20:53
Now time for request, Is the right time for adding XviD 1.0 support.

We have a nasty problem here. Since pass settings are now different values in registry - it's impossible to seemlessly support old and new versions. I have to check that I allow usage of stored settings with different pass values, apart from that there is nothing much i can do before 1.0 gets stable. Then we can dump old xvid for good.

Angelus
2nd December 2003, 19:40
This is just a minor thing but whenever I open up either a .avi or a d2v file and do a comp. test, after the test in the input resolution area in GK it always changes it to PAL when it should be NTSC. I don't know if this affects encoding at all cause it still says input resolution as 720X480. Thanks

len0x
2nd December 2003, 19:43
Originally posted by Angelus
This is just a minor thing but whenever I open up either a .avi or a d2v file and do a comp. test, after the test in the input resolution area in GK it always changes it to PAL when it should be NTSC. I don't know if this affects encoding at all cause it still says input resolution as 720X480. Thanks

I bet it's resource file bug (translation stuff)

gurabli
5th December 2003, 17:24
HI!

I know that XviD 1 beta is not working with GKnot, what about the new release, the Koepi's beta 2?

Or the function in GKnot will be implemented only, when the final version of XviD arrives?

Till than, we can use previous builds?

Keep up with a good work, GKnot is a really fine prg.!!!

I think it should be the time for a "stable" release of GKnot.
I know that there are always things to change, but with the release of XviD 1 (when it will be released) is a good point, to have a stable and compatible GKnot.

Just an opinion, and I like "stable" softwares. I make my avis for archives, and it is irritating when something goes wrong.
I remember, I used to use DivX 5.0.2 Pro for a very long time, and it was quite nice. Now I use Xvid, more powerfull and better.

Gurabli

scmccarthy
6th December 2003, 15:48
@gurabli

Lenox said:We have a nasty problem here. Since pass settings are now different values in registry - it's impossible to seemlessly support old and new versions. The new registry settings are not going to go back to the old settings. So now it is just a matter of deciding when it is safe to dump the stable version for the newer one.

About resize filters. If you study Bicubic, you will discover that sharp bicubic is not considered as accurate as soft bicubic. sharpness and accuracy are not synonymous. Sharpness implies noise, distortion, and a lack of compressibility, even though it looks good. The beauty of Lanczos is that it is more accurate, but not sharper than Sharp Bicubic. It is probably too close to test, but I am claiming that Lanczos is both more accurate and more compressible than SharpB.

Stephen

len0x
9th December 2003, 11:47
enjoy probably last release of GK for this year :)

Tuning
9th December 2003, 13:53
:thanks: len0x.

len0x
9th December 2003, 15:24
Sorry to inform you, but I've put wrong version of smart bob filter.
latest one can be found here: http://neuron2.net/dgbob/dgbob.html
and should work with no problems with GK 0.28.7

scmccarthy
10th December 2003, 06:03
I need the GKnot exe by itself, I have already updated the others separately. I don't have time to download it all at once.

Stephen

AmigaFuture
11th December 2003, 19:49
Hi,

@len0x

Is there a chance you could implement up to 4 CD selection & allow 5 Audio tracks to be muxed? The reason I ask this, I'm trying to backup my Lord Of The Rings: 2 Towers & I'd really like to include the 4 commentaries with the sountrack. I'm not sure of the math, so it's been a few days spent trying to get the 4th CD to come out the right size.
I know there are some others who own movies with a lot of commentaries who'd probably like it as well. Or if you (or someone else) could supply the math I'd do it myself. :) I've already looked at the Logs & taken the figures from there & adjusted the bitrate & other figures, but still not close enough to 4 700MB CDs.

Thanks for your time & the time spent on modifying Gordian Knot, excellent front-end.

Tuning
12th December 2003, 10:49
I think you have to select all audio as files first (Select multiple ones too). Then set target size to 2800MB. Do this with calculate average bitrate mode.

Then we have to calculate the overhead required for 5 tracks. i think if its VBR mp3 then a overhead of 80KB will be sufficient. If it is ac3 then overhead of 70KB will be sufficient. if you have multiple VBR mp3 and ac3 then over head will be approximately 90-100KB. For that change mode to "calculate avi file size". Then change average bitarte by single digit 1 by 1 untill the above prescribed overhead is reduced in video size in KB.
Hope that helps....

scmccarthy
12th December 2003, 23:10
I lost internet use for the month on my main computer, so I will download GKnot on another computer and file span it to floppies and transfer it to my computer that way. Can you think of a better plan? (Hint, how 'bout just the exe?)

Stephen

P.S. Yes, I know that people used to use incompatiple versions with GKnot, but I don't want to pay for the boneheads mistakes.

AmigaFuture
13th December 2003, 05:28
@Tuning

I think you have to select all audio as files first (Select multiple ones too). Then set target size to 2800MB. Do this with calculate average bitrate mode.

Then we have to calculate the overhead required for 5 tracks. i think if its VBR mp3 then a overhead of 80KB will be sufficient. If it is ac3 then overhead of 70KB will be sufficient. if you have multiple VBR mp3 and ac3 then over head will be approximately 90-100KB. For that change mode to "calculate avi file size". Then change average bitarte by single digit 1 by 1 untill the above prescribed overhead is reduced in video size in KB.
Hope that helps....

Thanks for your reply. :) I don't use MP3s as that degrades the audio & I'm a bit of a purist, though I didn't indicate that as I should have. So, MY bad! :) Anyway...So do you mean 70K 4 times (70*4=280KB) or do you mean 70 once? I tried the 70K once, which resulted in the 4th CD being about 650MB.
I used 5 tracks, Audio A holds the Sountrack (AC3 5.1), & the Files space, as you suggested & I hadn't thought of for the 4 Commentaries, then I added the 70(K) to the Average Bitrate from 2800 which gave me a 650MB on the last disk. I'm just trying to make sure I'm following your math. :) I'm gonna go for a 114K tonight & see if that helps a little more. :)
There is the possibility I'm reading ya wrong or you left something about or I did, so anyway thank very much for your reply, I just suck when it comes to math. :) But I *AM* trying. If you need more info from me please feel free to ask.

Tuning
13th December 2003, 11:33
AmigaFuture, You have to decrease (Not adding) bitrate single digitly such that video size is only decreased by 70K.(Only video size, not final size--lower right corner).
If again same hapens len0x has to confirm what to do because i'm unknown
whether there is any other calculations or tweaking is done with in Gk.

@len0x,

Is there any general equation for using in these situations ?(mp3,ac3 ?)
I'm getting confused now.:confused:

Thanks.

Tuning
17th December 2003, 17:24
Originally posted by exiztone
Hmmm, is GK 0.28.7.1 available for download yet? :)
0.28.7.1 removed from SF bcoz of issues with VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1.

len0x
17th December 2003, 19:15
problem with vdubmod solved

colordog
18th December 2003, 04:11
@len0x

Damn, you're fast.

With the .2 update, I can now both do a compression test and full encoding with the supplied VDubMod.

Great job!

ZZZERO
18th December 2003, 04:39
Wondering why the muxing audio step takes around 15 minutes with 0.27 while it used to only take 2 or 3 minutes to complete with previous versions.

colordog
18th December 2003, 04:49
@ zzzero

Can't say I've had that problem with 27.0 or 27.2. With both release, audio muxing on my rig is under 80 seconds. Strange?

len0x
18th December 2003, 11:41
Wondering why the muxing audio step takes around 15 minutes with 0.27 while it used to only take 2 or 3 minutes to complete with previous versions.

It's a problem of new VDubMod. why not everyone experience this problems I have no idea.

Tuning
18th December 2003, 12:39
@colordog, ZZERO & len0x

Suiryc has described this in Slow directstream copy (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66610)
Originally posted by Suiryc
Avery Lee changed some pieces of code in the part reading AVI files.
His reading code (which caches a bit ahead of the actual data requests) now consumes less memory ... but is slower (sometimes really slower yeah).

I noticed that along the 1.5.x versions the speed indeed decreased (generally it takes me at least twice the time it needed in the last 1.4.x versions). On the other hand his code consumes less memory and he also does a bit more checkings (to notice and try to fix problems in files).

He also changed the whole muxing system but I don't think this part had a real impact (or nat least not as much as the reading part).

IcedSoul
26th December 2003, 01:11
Hi,

very cool program ! Thank you.
It is very handy :)

I have one request of feature for this program:
If i have already (other) subtitles for the DVD-Rip, please let me select them. Thank you.

Greetz
IcedSoul

jeremymacmull
29th December 2003, 11:22
does one assume that we use the latest version of vdubmod ie 25/12/03 with the bug fixes or only the one with gknot rip pack

JEREMY

len0x
29th December 2003, 12:46
Originally posted by jeremymacmull
does one assume that we use the latest version of vdubmod ie 25/12/03 with the bug fixes or only the one with gknot rip pack

there is no harm in using latest version of vdubmod

McBodo
11th January 2004, 19:03
Hi Len0x

I belive i found a bug in GK. Can you ad the following line to GK when he write the script for VDub: "VirtualDub.RemoveInputStreams();". Not Only in the script when he let mux. If it possible in all scripts from Credits till Nth Pass.

The Reason: When i would to encode a avi-file, Vdub encode also Audio. If i have a file with mp3 audio stream he encode it to uncompressed wav. And the Credit-file includes Video and also Audio. The File must for exemple have 14 MB but have 130 MB. And when he now recalculate the Bitrate, she is to small.

Try it.

and when you add the line, VDub dosnīt encode Aduio and all is fine.

MfG Ricardo

creative_cracker
12th January 2004, 02:21
I am using the latest GK and for some reason it complains that undot.dll is not found in the Avisynth plugin directory, although it is really there. I am sure it is the one that came with the rippack because I have placed it there from the GK directory after the GK install.

I cannot figure this one out because up until now I used GK and never saw this error message.

I edited the .avs script with a "#" to comment out the loading of the filter and continued.

Any ideas?

CC

snowbeach
15th January 2004, 14:34
good work...
experienced sth. interesting: gknot 0.28.6.2 encoded the same movie with xvid 1.0beta3-26122003 two hours earlier than with gknot 0.28.7.2...

i experienced subtitle problems with 0.28.7.2, when i want to burn them in...
see problem at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=68979

is this a gknot problem? the editing of the idx file, as described in the mentioned thread above, shouldn't this be the work of gk?

Shandra
15th January 2004, 18:30
Hi Folks,

With DivX5.11 I was glad to see that GKnot has evolved since I last checked it (As the Old Version I used was doing fine... ya know) ;)
And the way I use GK the new version is just doing fine again :D

But one think you can maybe keep somewhere stored in your memory (its a little wish, but just one that may be considered if there is the time, etc.) -> On the resolution tab, I see the reason for the 2pixel steps in cropping and as I can alter the avs script before doing the encode this one request is only in supporting my lazieness ;) -> 4 more buttons on the cropping section that are reducing/adding the size by a (+- 1 for tob&bottom, +-1 for left&right) would be a welcomed addition ;)

Thanks,
SHAnDRA

Jerry_Sm@rt
21st February 2004, 08:23
It‘s been a long time since 0.28.7.2 released.
When can i see the next version?

techz
22nd February 2004, 09:33
I know its just a small mistake, but i wanted to point out that there is a spelling mistake in the Resolution Tab in GKNOT 0.28.7,when u put the mouse pointer over the Height Modul, in the Status Bar it says Hight, not Height :)

copy and paste the link in browser or else it doesnt load
Hight (http://www.freewebs.com/tech_z/hight.jpg)

Also when u minimize gknot and maximize the input pixel aspect ratio changes from ntsc to pal
NTSC_PAL (http://www.freewebs.com/tech_z/ntsc%5Fpal.jpg)

also how about a logoff after encoding finished option in addition to shutdown after finish

Bubulle
27th February 2004, 15:47
I am a real fan of GK and I want to thanks all the people who help to its developement.
I was wondering when a new version will come out which could handle new XVid 1.0 ?

Thanks

len0x
16th March 2004, 11:47
Originally posted by Bubulle

I was wondering when a new version will come out which could handle new XVid 1.0 ?

I have one already, but unfortunately credits encoding is not working there due to the fact that new XviD have completely different hadling of those (via zones). I could release it but ppl will complain about it...

patrik j
16th March 2004, 12:28
Nice to hear… and no rush, make it work before release.

Bubulle
16th March 2004, 18:29
I fully agree : no rush :-) And thanks again for your really great software !

Gordoran
16th March 2004, 22:25
i fully disagree: rush, i have no diskspace for all the iso files :rolleyes:

r6d2
16th March 2004, 22:42
Originally posted by Gordoran
i fully disagree: rush, i have no diskspace for all the iso files :rolleyes: You can always rip them again. It takes only 15 minutes. It you're talking about movies you don't own, you chose the wrong place to share your experiences. Please :readrule:, particularly R6.

If you intended to be funny, please learn the actual meaning of the emoticons.

/Add:
And please read the Free Pies post as we speak.

Gordoran
17th March 2004, 08:19
hmmm, I thought :rolleyes: stands for sarcasm and irony, it does at least here in Germany. :p

r6d2
17th March 2004, 14:28
Well, within the scope of this forum, :rolleyes: means "sarcastic", which in turn, from Webster's:
SARCASTIC implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing.As you can see, sarcasm has little to do with a funny statement.

Interestingly enough, the :p you also used means "stick out tongue". I don't know what it means where you live, but in several other places I know of, it reveals an intimate desire to become a sex slave. BTW, no thanks.

(You see? That's sarcasm. I doubt you think it's funny.) :D:D:D

Seriously, there is no need to be demanding towards an author of a free tool. Being thankful is a much better way to show (and get) respect. You're new here. We hope you have a plesant stay, as well as we hope you to abide by the rules and the forum spirit you'll get to know better with time.

Cheers,

r6d2.

Gordoran
17th March 2004, 14:36
hmm, strange, but the thing with the slave i found funny :cool:

Seriously, there is no need to be demanding towards an author of a free tool. Being thankful is a much better way to show (and get) respect. You're new here. We hope you have a plesant stay, as well as we hope you to abide by the rules and the forum spirit you'll get to know better with time.

Wheres the camera?
Im pleased, it was a joke. Ok? Thought that was obvious. Can we discuss other things now?

techz
17th March 2004, 18:57
Can we update the VDubMod to the new build 2439 or is the GKNOT version of VdubMod modified?

colordog
18th March 2004, 00:15
I've been using that release with GK for the past 4 days or so, with no problem.

Shandra
18th March 2004, 01:05
Originally posted by r6d2
SARCASTIC implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing.

Well well... now its my time to be a troll.... :p
From an intellectual point that definition complies with "not serious"
But well - its semantics and group of people - and yes at least here in the west berlin sub culture I am part of sarcasm is a) proving your inteligence by a reply that is worded and coded like that of a troll/proll and b) has that slight intelectual play on words in it that mark it as a "in your face" and lets not talk about it any further because I am superiour to you if it comes to rhetoric :p

But well, I don't think that this has to be any subject in this thread, so all I wanna say is EmoIcons are a way of speach, so no pure def. applies to them - they always have to be read in context (they are only shortcut for speech but as you can play with words, you can always play and meddle with :smilies: just to prove or mark out a fact ;) If you see 'em only by pure definition you can get rid of them in nearly 95% of all messages in all "good" forums.... its creativity and language and thats not defined by rule, but by use :p

(P.S.: and that simply includes that since we have visiual smileys the use of them may more often be meant in the impression the visual make on a reader then the :WORD: behind it :D )

r6d2
18th March 2004, 01:20
Originally posted by Shandra
and lets not talk about it any further because I am superiour to you if it comes to rhetoric :pLOL!

Certainly Webster's would benefit from your skills. You might try to contact them at iamreallygoodatthis@webster.com

Would that qualify as sarcasm? :)

Seriously, you made an interesting point. Playing with words and expression, and smilies too, is always allowed. But when you come to a new place or community, better understand the way it works. What may be a funny and witty quote you make may be completely out of order.

IMHO language is just a convention, not a rule. But if your convention bending does not help to communicate what you want, it is pretty useless, don't you think? Unless of course you don't want to communicate, in which case posting makes little sense. ;)

techz
18th March 2004, 11:45
Is there a way we could enable full procesing in vdubmod and use filters?

len0x
18th March 2004, 11:57
Originally posted by techz
Is there a way we could enable full procesing in vdubmod and use filters?

nope...

Gordoran
25th March 2004, 18:36
Is there a ~date when the next Version will be out?

len0x
26th March 2004, 15:44
I have 0.28.8 installer on mu hdd for several days already - just can't get myself to put it up at SF.

Credits with new XviD are tricky though, coz in order to use them in GK you have to have one Zone defined in defaults and GK will be using Zone 2 as zone for credits (as only quant based zone)...

Gordoran
26th March 2004, 17:34
1. What is SF?
2. Does that mean u have found out how the Credits thingy works or not? :)

len0x
26th March 2004, 17:49
SF = SourceForge

There is no direct credit support in XviD 1.0, meaning that one can easily screw my settings in GK and have borked encode.

Gordoran
26th March 2004, 17:55
hmm, do u need a tester? :)

€dit

Hey Len0x, if u really need one who test it, im there

Subwars
26th March 2004, 19:10
yaaaa

don't spose you put ogm support into the new version this time :scared:

loni_blues
27th March 2004, 00:55
Hi,

@len0x
Just a suggestion about GK 0.28.8: you may release it as it is with the warning that there is no credit support for this version still. Personally, I never use credits encoding. I wonder if there are many GK users who use this feature. But of course, len0x, it is your decision and we respect that.

Just another question, may be a little outdated, but I just thought about this today: since GK now uses this new Dvd2avi/mpeg2dec3 combination, shouldnīt we rather be using mpeg2dec3dg.dll in the avs script, instead of the standard mpeg2dec3.dll? Or am I totally missing the point?

Thanks for any help,
loni_blues

Gordoran
31st March 2004, 23:35
still around someone?

Subwars
3rd April 2004, 06:34
where ya hidin at lenox

jeremymacmull
3rd April 2004, 20:46
oi guys lay off

hes hard at work producing and fixing stuff for AUTOGK and also may i remind u that he is doing this in his spare time and for free so really stop complaining

JEREMY

Gordoran
4th April 2004, 01:10
oi guys lay off

hes hard at work producing and fixing stuff for AUTOGK and also may i remind u that he is doing this in his spare time and for free so really stop complaining

JEREMY

who is complaining here? O_o

We only ask where he is

Subwars
4th April 2004, 04:53
exactly no ones complaining just wondering if he is still even around havn't heard back from him in ages so why don't you lay off jeremymacmull

jeremymacmull
4th April 2004, 18:53
point taken!

hes mostly hanging about in the GK development forum and sorting things out with AUTOGK updates new features etc

if you want to get in contact with him thats the place to find him

also he mentioned that he probably will resume development on gk as soon as hes finished for the moment with AUTOGK

JEREMY

Gordoran
5th April 2004, 18:41
point taken!

hes mostly hanging about in the GK development forum and sorting things out with AUTOGK updates new features etc

if you want to get in contact with him thats the place to find him

also he mentioned that he probably will resume development on gk as soon as hes finished for the moment with AUTOGK

JEREMY

k thx, but a few post up he said he already has a new version :)

len0x
8th April 2004, 11:46
0.28.8 rippack is online at SourceForge.

XviD 1.0 should work OK (its automatically detected, so old one will work as well). Credits encoding _requires_ only ONE ZONE defined in defaults (as its becoming second zone). Quality of credits can be entered on encode window, not xvid settings anymore.

Happy Easter!

Subwars
8th April 2004, 11:59
yaaa :D :D :D :D

hey lenox if you happen to see this b4 my thread in main gk thread could you please have a look for me maybe you can help plus theres a bug about auto gk in it that i've noticed titled "bad quality rip with auto gk"

thanks

bond
8th April 2004, 19:01
now thats a nice easter egg!

thanks a lot len0x :)

Tuning
8th April 2004, 19:25
Thanks! :D

Gordoran
8th April 2004, 20:01
thx, will there be a guide for XVid 1? :)

im confused a little bit :)

davegould
8th April 2004, 20:25
thx, will there be a guide for XVid 1? :)

It's not that different from the pre-1.0 XviDs. Pretty much all our questions can be answered by using the search function of this board.

If you mean a guide for XviD 1.0 in GK then we probably should do that between us and give Len0x a rest...

Gordoran
8th April 2004, 20:40
ok, then i go to bed now and will ask tomorrow :)

len0x
8th April 2004, 23:29
Originally posted by exiztone
Nice one Len0x! When do you think we can see a codec pack to go along side? :)

the day XviD 1.0 gets released :)

gatormac
9th April 2004, 00:37
This is probably a stupid question, but I downloaded and installed GK 0.28.8, but the XVID default GUI in GK still looks like the old XVID, which I haven't had on my computer for awhile now. What am I supposed to do to get the XVID 1.0 GUI to show up in GK?

davegould
9th April 2004, 00:49
Originally posted by gatormac
This is probably a stupid question, but I downloaded and installed GK 0.28.8, but the XVID default GUI in GK still looks like the old XVID, which I haven't had on my computer for awhile now. What am I supposed to do to get the XVID 1.0 GUI to show up in GK?

The XviD GUI is part of XviD and nothing to do with GK. Many people have had problems uninstalling XviD - check the XviD forum on how to do this. You cannot just install XviD 1.0 over it.

b00zed
9th April 2004, 01:03
I've been hanging out for this. Thankyou for your continuing hard work on GKnot :D

gatormac
9th April 2004, 03:33
Originally posted by davegould
The XviD GUI is part of XviD and nothing to do with GK. Many people have had problems uninstalling XviD - check the XviD forum on how to do this. You cannot just install XviD 1.0 over it.

I can't figure out why the old GUI is popping up. I used the BIGFIX utility to uninstall the old XVID before installing XVID 1.0 and have been using 1.0 without any problems for some time now. If there is a better way to uninstall XVID I couldn't find it using the search....everything from A to Z popped up...basically no help at all.

EDIT: I ran BigFix again and it is now working properly. I don't know why I had to do it again as I have been only using 1.0 since I used BigFix previously.

Bubulle
9th April 2004, 05:56
Thanks so much Lenox for your great work ! I am going to try this software this weekend.

Shuichiro
9th April 2004, 10:30
1. Thank You for the new GKnot release!

2. ^^ Can I do a comp test with xvid? Because when I want to do so I get the error message: Failed to get data for 'use_bvop'
Maybe I did something wrong. Xvid 1 RC4 is installed

Veky
9th April 2004, 13:07
Thanks for 0.28.8. :)

I do have a simple question, when I install 0.28.8, the 0.28.7.2 patch is no longer needed, right?

Subwars
9th April 2004, 13:19
ummm no veky it's not need the 28.8 is a higher number newest release if you installed the patch you would only be going back to an older version :rolleyes:

Gordoran
9th April 2004, 13:30
what is this Bigfix u talk about?

i installed the new xvid above the other, not good?

Veky
9th April 2004, 13:34
Originally posted by Subwars
ummm no veky it's not need the 28.8 is a higher number newest release if you installed the patch you would only be going back to an older version :rolleyes:

It never hurts to ask and make sure. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

scmccarthy
9th April 2004, 15:15
Estimated time to download GK 0.28.8:

One hour.

netzero offers 10 hours free each month.

Stephen

gatormac
9th April 2004, 19:04
what is this Bigfix u talk about?

i installed the new xvid above the other, not good?

Its a utility that erases (some) codecs and the garbage that they sometimes leave behind when updating to a newer one...if used you shouldn't have any problems with old files or old registry entries screwing up your new files and settings. (at least this is how I perceive it) Do a search for BigFix to find it.

superdump
10th April 2004, 00:46
len0x: I'm having a few problems with the 0.28.8 release. When I open gknot I get this error (http://www.swains.plus.com/superdump/showhints.png). Then I'm greeted with the usual gknot window but with some text missing (http://www.swains.plus.com/superdump/missingtext.png) on the bottom left button which you use to open a d2v and the window title. Then when I actually navigate to a d2v and try to open it, I get this error (http://www.swains.plus.com/superdump/opend2v.png). Finally, gknot doesn't seem to be remembering me deselecting "Show hints" in the Options tab, selecting "Don't check" for Nandub and VStrip in the Programs tab or selecting XviD as the codec on the bitrate tab. Am I alone in these errors? :S

superdump
10th April 2004, 02:34
Strange... after downloading it from the fourth available download server on sourceforge (Aleron) it now works fine and exhibits none of the problems mentioned above.

techz
10th April 2004, 06:05
which server did u download it from the first time?

Veky
10th April 2004, 06:13
I got it from the second server and it works fine.

Veky
10th April 2004, 06:58
I just did my first rip with 0.28.8 with the same setting as usually and the sound in the video file is all screwed up. Sample: http://onyx.globalnet.hr/~vejurak/sound.mp3

The MP3 alone however plays fine although it's properties are weird. Pic:
http://onyx.globalnet.hr/~vejurak/soundproperties.gif

I put the sound in manually with VDubMod... but any ideas why it did this?

rowland
10th April 2004, 12:10
I just uninstalled the previous version of GKnot, including selecting the option to delete associated reg keys (plus I also ran a separate reg cleaner to clean up anything else left behind), and then downloaded and installed this new version 0.28.8.

However, after loading up a project file and going to Save & Encode, nothing appears in the either of the drop down boxes in the Audio 1 or Audio 2 tabs when I select the "MP3, custom Parameters (Experts)".

Does anyone else who done a fresh install (like I did by uninstalling previous version first) get this happening to them?

gatormac
10th April 2004, 14:50
I did an uninstall and am having 1 problem mainly. I am trying to do a 1 pass XVID encode and it always comes up with 2 passes in the encoding queue....I have single pass selected. Can't figure it out.

Xorcist
10th April 2004, 16:40
I had the Xvid from july 2002 installed and updated it to 1.0 RC3 and tested with AutoGK. Then I installed 1.0 RC4 on top of that and installed GK 0.28.8 on top of my old GK 0.28.7.2. It kept all my settings. I then tried to do a comptest but it gave me a b_vop error. I corrected this easily by setting xvid pass settings to default. This works flawlessly. I did not uninstall any old versions of software.

Thanks for making a great piece of software even better with 0.28.8 :)

len0x
13th April 2004, 15:27
Originally posted by gatormac
I did an uninstall and am having 1 problem mainly. I am trying to do a 1 pass XVID encode and it always comes up with 2 passes in the encoding queue....I have single pass selected. Can't figure it out.

Heh, single pass encoding is not supported in 0.28.x (in fact even since 0.27). That is why that option is greyed out :)

len0x
13th April 2004, 15:30
Originally posted by Shuichiro
2. ^^ Can I do a comp test with xvid? Because when I want to do so I get the error message: Failed to get data for 'use_bvop'
Maybe I did something wrong. Xvid 1 RC4 is installed

As was pointed out - XviD installer deletes registry settings on install, so if you never went into XviD default settings (and deleted previous GK defaults on install) then codec obviously cannot get registry settings...

len0x
13th April 2004, 15:37
Originally posted by Veky
I just did my first rip with 0.28.8 with the same setting as usually and the sound in the video file is all screwed up. Sample: http://onyx.globalnet.hr/~vejurak/sound.mp3

The MP3 alone however plays fine although it's properties are weird.

That sounds like usual BeSweet mono encoding problem. I can't imagine why you can play the sound separately though (coz I can't play that sample properly)

gatormac
13th April 2004, 19:54
Heh, single pass encoding is not supported in 0.28.x (in fact even since 0.27). That is why that option is greyed out :)

:o :o :o

I just recently started doing 1 pass encodes at a constant Q of 2 using VDubMod (since GK didn't support 1.0)...I never even tried a 1 pass encode in older GK. Why isn't it supported? (not a complaint)

Veky
13th April 2004, 21:07
That sounds like usual BeSweet mono encoding problem. I can't imagine why you can play the sound separately though (coz I can't play that sample properly)

I've encoded another movie, Matrix Revolutions, and the same thing happened. The final file has the sound all screwed up. I've also noticed that video plays faster too.

The video without audio and the MP3 file (when manually processed with BeSweet) alone are fine and I can merge them with VDubMod nicely.

thoralf
14th April 2004, 01:54
thanks len0x and all te other developers involved ... thank you very much for your efforts.
now it would be great to have support for containers other than avi - that would eliminate the need to mux audio and subtitle streams manually with mkvtoolnix or similiar utilities.
Thoralf.

tonygib
14th April 2004, 04:57
Hi all,

Just to add my voice to the mp3 audio problem. I too have been getting the same thing, its like it is all speeded up and I think I have even been getting extra pop's and sounds, tho none of this is in the wav file. So far it seams to be happening on longer encodes, ie on a 24 min vid/wav, it all sounds fine, on a 40 min one, it goes to complete crap.

When I then encode using an older, standalone lame exe, the mp3 turns out just fine.

Is there some bug in besweet/lame now, everything worked perfect with the previous gordian knot install.

kitvirus
14th April 2004, 05:36
When XviD 1.0 RC4 and DivX 5.11 are installed in my PC,

Gordian Knot does not read my DivX avi files with this message
(File is not a valid dvd2avi...)

Only uninstalling XviD can solve this porblem.

The problem is that one more compatible codecs are installed.

I checked my divx files with GSpot & found XviD & DivX decoder are registerd as compatilble codecs in my pc.

In this case, file open error message can be shown always.

Is this codec problem?

JuanCC
14th April 2004, 18:07
Same Error as tonygib in GK 0.28.8 , I think there is a problem with lame.

Veky
14th April 2004, 22:05
Originally posted by JuanCC
Same Error as tonygib in GK 0.28.8 , I think there is a problem with lame.

Same problem here.

Marcel
15th April 2004, 13:02
I have found a minor problem and it's workaround:

I am encoding 40min D2Vs (PAL, 4:3) to ~590,000 kb, to have space for three MP3/128 audio streams (these are encoded and muxed outside GKnot).
For video encoding, XVid RC4 is used (QPel, GMC, no BFrames). But I use it also for other purposes, for example for 1pass encodings with a target bitrage of 120 kBit/s.
With GKnot, first pass is done well. But for second pass, the encoded AVI will have ~230 kBit/s video bitrate, instead of ~1880 kBit/s. XVid seems to try to reach 120 kBit/s (hard job with 704*512*25...). So, for every job I add to GKnot queue, I have to open XVid 2nd pass config separately. There I find it's still set to "target bitrate: 120". A single click on the "target bitrate"-button switches over to "target size: 590000". With this single click, I get around this and also a well sized output file.

I have edited default_xvid_secondpass.settings not to use bvops, but it looks like I should also change use_2pass_bitrate to 0 - here an excerpt from this file, as it is actually located on my hard disk:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\XviD]
"mode"=dword:00000002
"bitrate"=dword:00000078
"desired_size"=dword:0008b290
"use_2pass_bitrate"=dword:00000001
"desired_quant"=dword:00000190
[...]
"discard1pass"=dword:00000001
"full1pass"=dword:00000000

First, I had installed XVid RC4 (and then I did this legendary "load defaults"), then I have been encoding XVid AVIs with 1pass, 120 kBit/s, and after this (with XVid encoder options set to use target bitrate, not target size, which might have caused the problem at all) I installed GKnot 0.28.8 (had an older 0.27 previously installed).

After changing the GKnot job Xvid options for 2nd pass to use target size, the file 01_secondpass.settings contains the lines:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\XviD]
"bitrate"=dword:00000078
"desired_size"=dword:00090091
"use_2pass_bitrate"=dword:00000000

- as it is correct in my humble eyes (at least it creates the desired output).

Anyway, thanks for this great knot!

Marcel

tonygib
16th April 2004, 11:21
A little update on the audio problem with GK 0.28.8. I grabed the older (complete) beweet files from the previous GK release and totally replaced the files in the current one with those versions.

Having done that, all the mp3 encoding seams to be just fine now, so unless someone else has other proof, it looks like some code in the besweet package is causing problems.

thanks

len0x
16th April 2004, 11:31
Originally posted by tonygib
Having done that, all the mp3 encoding seams to be just fine now, so unless someone else has other proof, it looks like some code in the besweet package is causing problems.

have you tried new fixed b26 of BeSweet yet ?

tonygib
16th April 2004, 15:29
Hi len0x,

Well, I did grab the newest beta from the besweet website a few days ago, which had the same problem, but I take it a "new" b26 has just been released, if thats the case, then no, havn't tried it. I will download it again and let you know.

cheers

Veky
16th April 2004, 22:02
The new version fixed it. :)

tonygib
17th April 2004, 05:21
Well, i've done some more tests, late into last night and got some "interesting" mixed results.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the wav files from the initial tests, so am doing new test on ac3 dvd rip files.

Once again, anything shortish, like 25 mins is fine across the board, all besweet versions, etc. With a longer sample (43 mins) I was getting extra "pop" sounds all through the mp3 file. But wait it gets stranger. It seams that some how I have partly changed the playback codec in one of the version of media player.

When I just play the mp3 file, in the older media player (v 6.4.09) for some reason it uses the Intervideo Audio Decoder (I have WinDVD installed) for playback. This causes the problems. But if I use media player classic (v 6.4.8.1) then it plays fine. Also if the mp3 file is in the divx avi file, then under the older media player it now also seams to play fine, but then it uses a different audio decoder (MPEG layer-3 Decoder - Frauhofer).

But wait, it gets better, if I use the newer media player (XP) then a standalone mp3 file doesn't play at all but a divx video with a mp3 audio plays fine.

So right now I am at a bit of a loss, I think I need to find a way to get the Intervideo Audio Decoder out of media player (without stuff up my WinDVD player) and try to fix the XP media player. Even so, maybe others that are having problems can check their players and audio decoder filters to see whats happening.

techz
17th April 2004, 18:18
i just uninstalled 0.28.8 adnd went back to 0.28.7.2, the final mp3 track in the avi file was coming out all wrong, dont have the logs, deleted them, but somethings definately off, and it isnt me :)

Hiro2k
17th April 2004, 18:42
Why would that be a problem with Gknot??

If the mp3 track is wrong, then it's probably a problem with Besweet. Have you upgraded to the newest version of gknot??

tonygib
18th April 2004, 06:17
Yeah, as Hiro2k said, one of the problems I was having with the mp3 file, expecially as part of an avi and even as just the mp3 file by it's self, wasn't due to GK. Right now I am pretty sure it was either the initial b26 release of besweet or a funny old Intervideo Audio decoder that was getting used by one of my media players (in other words it all played just fine in another media player).

In the end, I think it may have been a bit of both, so techz, grab the new "fixed" version of besweet b26 and when the avi is playing, check to see what decoders are being used for playback.

I'll be doing more tests on monday/tuesday which will be just like the initial files, etc that I first noticed the problem, will report back afterwards.

KE
18th April 2004, 09:25
Copying all files in BeSweetv1.5b26 Beta to GK 0.28.8 solved the problem for me.

techz
19th April 2004, 09:49
Originally posted by Hiro2k
Why would that be a problem with Gknot??

If the mp3 track is wrong, then it's probably a problem with Besweet. Have you upgraded to the newest version of gknot??
Its withe the 0.28.8 that i had a problem, now i'm back with the 0.28.7.2 and everythings good again, although i'll try the new besweet with 0.28.8 and let u know

len0x
19th April 2004, 11:11
I just updated the 0.28.8 pack to include latest fixed BeSweet, but nothing was changed otherwise

THEMATRIX
20th April 2004, 17:59
Thank you len0x for your great program!!:)

JuanCC
20th April 2004, 23:50
I have copied the files of the new version of BeSweetv1.5b26 to GK 0.28.8 directory and it seems to fix the problem.

tonygib
21st April 2004, 05:38
Just a little update, I have now done my "normal", Monday show encode and this time all was fine, so one or both of those changes fixed the problem, thanks len0x.

exiztone: I too have had that same error on the new VdubMod, tho only once so far and at the time I was only using that app, had nothing to do with GK. So I think you may need to report that in the VdubMod forum. But like I said, its only happened once to me.

BruceL
26th April 2004, 12:17
@Lenox

Just curious, the original G-Gnot 28.8 installer was 7.79MB. The current download with same version number is 7.65MB. Is B-Sweet the only change? I don't recall the B-Sweet file size difference. Thanks for a great program. It brings much joy!

len0x
26th April 2004, 13:28
Originally posted by BruceL

Just curious, the original G-Gnot 28.8 installer was 7.79MB. The current download with same version number is 7.65MB. Is B-Sweet the only change? I don't recall the B-Sweet file size difference.

Its only BeSweet change: some irrelevant dlls of the package were removed due to DSPGuru request.

Nippur
3rd May 2004, 19:55
I tryed many times to download the latest version 28.8, but the download is very long and even when i got the message that it ended correctly is just 2/3 mb and a nsis error message appear. Can you check?

jggimi
3rd May 2004, 20:05
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Which download mirror are you using? SourceForge has many.

Nippur
4th May 2004, 18:03
Originally posted by Nippur
I tryed many times to download the latest version 28.8, but the download is very long and even when i got the message that it ended correctly is just 2/3 mb and a nsis error message appear. Can you check?

I was always using UNC. You are correct. I got it from heanet. Sorry, my brain looks to be on holiday those days... Thanks a lot.

Lord_KiRon
21st May 2004, 22:12
Now when AVI2DVDdg v1.3.0 and MPEG2Dec3dg got released when we can expect GK version utilizing them ?

It's my understanding they fix a lot of sevire bugs ...

loni_blues
22nd May 2004, 00:10
@Lord_KiRon

You can update that yourself. Download decodefix130.zip. Replace all of the Dvd2avi folder in GKnot with the contents of that file, copy MPEG2Dec3dg.dll to GKnot folder and rename it to "mpeg2dec3.dll". And thatīs it.

Regards,
loni_blues

Lord_KiRon
22nd May 2004, 00:22
Originally posted by loni_blues
@Lord_KiRon

You can update that yourself. Download decodefix130.zip. Replace all of the Dvd2avi folder in GKnot with the contents of that file, copy MPEG2Dec3dg.dll to GKnot folder and rename it to "mpeg2dec3.dll". And thatīs it.

Regards,
loni_blues

This was the first thing I did , but GK still refused to recognize/read .D2Vs , I will try again , may be I made some stupied error with naming convention or left old copy of mpeg2dec3.dll somewhere .

manono
22nd May 2004, 00:44
Yes, it works Lord_KiRon. I just upgraded last night. Make sure that everything is where it's supposed to be, that everything points to the right place, and that everything is named correctly (as loni_blues said). And also, if you're using a shortcut on the desktop or someplace to open DVD2AVI, that it points to the right one also. I've made that mistake before-did everything right, except for fixing the shortcut.

rotflol
25th May 2004, 23:28
With all the changes that recently took place, we sure could use a new version of GK. :D

CruNcher
25th May 2004, 23:49
@len0x
could you look into compatibility with DGMPGDec 1.0.1 created d2v files, as they are most likely to be the same as the 1.1.0 final ones hopefully :)
the mpeg2dec3.dll replace trick still works

len0x
26th May 2004, 10:48
There should be no problems with using new DVD2AVIdg/DGMPGDec with GK, but it will no longer work properly with R4R. So if ppl are happy if I remove R4R from GK pack then I can release an update.

japouleripeur
26th May 2004, 13:44
So if ppl are happy if I remove R4R from GK pack then I can release an update. No, I won't be happy. R4R works with new DVD2AVIdg, but I haven't try with DGMPGDec. Is it a name issue? and is it possible TheWEF has a look on it?
Thanx.

Lord_KiRon
26th May 2004, 14:20
Well R2R does very important thing for me - it allows to select few chapters/episodes and queue them for DVDDecriptor and AVI2DVDdg - this is very helpfull , then I just use GK to create .avs and BeSweet to encode auduio (if I want) and manually run VDubMod.
However automating this first 2 steps (decrip and demux) is very important for me , so if you going to put same functionality into GK then it's OK with me , otherwise I will be very disapointed .

(And please do not "send" me to AutoGK , I need to have control over what I do , I just need a batch too.)

len0x
26th May 2004, 15:06
So far I know for sure that R4R doesn't apply FF anymore for d2v creation and soon CLI of DGMPGDec will be totally incompatible with old one, so d2v creation within R4R will be totally obsolete. That's why I don't really want to update current GK pack atm, so that ppl stop bugging me about it. (but when I do update it with future DGMPGDec - R4R will be gone for good, although old GK pack containing it will always be available).

pdx
27th May 2004, 09:25
actually, i'm one who won't be missing R4R. it worked for me for the first few times i experimented with GK, but since then i tend to completely bypass R4R (especially after it started bailing out on me on several occasions). even more so, i'm very anxious to see a new version of GK released (btw, what's up with the official website (gordianknot.sf.net), it's been ages since it's been updated...), with all the recent changes (besweet, dg's mpeg2dec stuff, and mainly, xvid -- these days i'm still doing encodes using divx5.0.5, but anxious to try xvid 1.0).

so, len0x, if you're up to a release, either with or without R4R, my $0.02 would be to go ahead. i think i speak for a lot of us when i say to hell with R4R, xvid and new DG stuff are far more worthy. :)

gnr
27th May 2004, 23:25
its time to have new codec pack and rip pack. somany things updated...i would like to have all in a pack, everybody does i guess.

rotflol
28th May 2004, 04:03
I've just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled my system, so now would be a good moment for a new rippack. ;)

techz
30th May 2004, 10:02
why do u need a rippack, just downlaod k-lite codec pack from http://mirror.edskes.com

akapuma
31st May 2004, 21:57
Hello,

i write a guide for GKnot in german language. Is there an approximate schedule, when it will give a new CodecPack and a new RipPack? Then I could adjust myself to it.

Best regards

akapuma

len0x
1st June 2004, 18:01
codec pack will be out as soon as AC3 filter 1.0 will be stable. There are no plans to update 0.28.8 pack yet.

smokeslikeapoet
2nd June 2004, 10:14
I'm sorry if this has already been covered. I just need some clarification. I have attempted to switch to dgmpgdec instead of dvd2avi but GordianKnot refuses to open the project file. I have replaced the mpeg2dec3dg.dll with the newer dgdecode.dll to no avail. I would like to use the newer application but right now the only way I'm able to is to make two project files with both dvd2avi (for GKnot) and dgmpgdec (for virtualdub) and then manually edit the avisynth script that GKnot produces. Is there a fix? or is a new version of GKnot necessary to open DGMPGdec project files?

loni_blues
4th June 2004, 00:51
@smokeslikeapoet

I am using latest dgmpgdec109 with GKnot with no problem. Did you rename DGDecode.dll to mpeg2dec3.dll in GKnot directory? Thatīs the only way it works. Changing the "Use alternative mpeg2dec.dll in scripts" to DGDecode.dll in GKnotīs options wonīt work.
Hope that helps,
loni_blues

smokeslikeapoet
5th June 2004, 08:02
Ok thanks for the tip. For some reason I tried a dozen different things but not the simplest of fixes. It worked this time.

powerslave
8th October 2004, 17:35
The latest version of DG's tools also works (DMPGdec 1.0.12) with older version of Gknot for those of you who haven't switched over to the newer beta versions. Just rename the file as loni_blues suggests and you should be fine.

len0x
10th December 2004, 17:23
I'm gonna unstick this thread as 0.28.8 becomes an obsolete version with the release of upcoming 0.33 (everyone is recommended to check out 0.32 as 0.33 will be pretty much it).