PDA

View Full Version : Subtitle Playback Problem

pacman99
11th October 2003, 12:49
Hey,

I've seen a similar message posted millions of times in this forum but haven't been able to find the solution to my problem :( [i guess i have very bad searching skills]
Anyways, I am trying to display subtitles in Windows Media Player but it never works. I have tried two methods:
1) Installed Direct VobSub 2.23 and placed .srt file (with same name) and tried playing in Windows Media Player...The file itself is Divx 5 with Mp3 audio but that shouldn't matter. No subtitles show up by Direct VobSub does load up. Then i tried placing the .idx file with the same name along with the .srt file...no luck
2) OGM--> Muxed subtitles (srt) with OGG Vorbis audio. Tried installing Gabest's Plugins and Tobias Plugins i believe... and this other one, i forget...anyways it doesn't work either...it shows that there's a subtitle stream...and it selects it..just won't display it...
Now after lots of experimenting my windows media player crashes half the time i open my subtitled files *sigh*....
Oh yea..i did uninstall direct vobsub to install the ogm plugins..just in case someone was wondering ;)
Any ideas? Thx!

Nimo
12th October 2003, 10:45
I'm not sure about this. but...try the following of this
- Have you try "ffdshow" in doom9.org yet?
- In your second method. It's very look similar to my case. Direct-sub can recognize my subtitle's file. But no subtitle shown. And then, i'm using "Subtitle Workshop"(from doom9) open my subtitle's file, choose "Save as" and then save it into the same format...i don't know why, but it's work!(I'm doing the same thing as you did. Use DivX video+MP3-stream and using Windows Media Player+ffdshow, but subtitle format in my case is SSA)
- Can you try another subtitle's format?

Last thing, Your second method very similar to my case. I recommend to try this.

pacman99
12th October 2003, 17:18
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Well i tried ffdshow and it wouldn't show subtitles either even after i manually loaded them. I tried changing the subtitle format and used directvobsub to load it up (because you can only mux srt with OGM) and well it would detect it but wouldn't show :( I also tried saving my SRT as a SRT again using Subtitle Workshop and nope, that didn't work either..
I starting to think this has something to do with overlay problems...

Tuning
12th October 2003, 17:31
Can u open the srt in any text editor and check whether any thing is present?
Other wise try to make subs following
this (http://www.doom9.org./dvobsub.htm) link.

Tuning

pacman99
12th October 2003, 22:08
I feel like such an idiot now lol...of course OGM doesn't work still but at least i got subtitles working for avi :)

thx alot!

I'm still trying to mux them as one file though...I don't want to have to use three files to play one..yes i'm picky :P I just want them all muxed together in like mkv or ogm format or something. But mkv and ogm only accept .srt files and of course, my srts won't play with my codecs :(