PDA

View Full Version : subtitle problem ONLY with half d1 (352x576)

scissors
4th October 2003, 06:50
Hi All,

My usual method to get subs is to use vobsub 2.3 and sub2sup.

I edit the idx file so that the width is 50%.

For 99% of films I can successfully mux with ifoedit and the subs work fine.

HOWEVER(there's always an however) the odd film (MASH-Battlefield earth come to mind) where the subs look like a block or currupted bitmap garbage.

I've tried everything i can think of and every subtitle conversion program, but have failed.

The odd thing is if i mux them with some 704x576 movie they appear fine!?

Anyone know why?

Thanks

smiller667
4th October 2003, 17:15
Are your subs displayed off-centre? How does the block garbage look like? Like incorrect/missing entries in the ifo for the subtitle colours?
I am trying to get some subs to display properly on a 2/3 D1 stream (yeah, I know it is not dvd-compliant) and the only problem I encountered (and am still stuck with) is the off-centre display of the subs. Editing the idx did not help in my case.

scissors
4th October 2003, 17:44
The corruption is nothing to do with the ifo....(i think)

It looks like if you had a 250x250 block of pixels that made a a bitmap that was your text. Now random spray that block with a pixel machine gun.
Now random whipe out complete lines and fill the odd one in.

Now mux it with full size m2v and it will look fine.

Yes it is always centred.

ImaWeTodd
8th October 2003, 16:29
Have you tried DVDSupEncode version 1.4?

I encountered a similar problem with subs I made from scratch for 352 video.

It looks like a problem with the scaling of the overlay to me. I'm not sure if it's the player (WindDVD for my tests) or if it's IFOEdit.

Anyway, DVDSupEncode allows a frame width to be set. Using 704 worked for me. Unfortunately, it makes a full screen bitmap which I don't want.

Here's a link : http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/Software/DVD/DVDSupTools.htm

scissors
12th October 2003, 20:01
Hi.

Ta for feedback. Already tried it. No good. :-(

Matrix2 is the same.

scissors
21st October 2003, 18:16
Hi,

just to confirm that subtools do work after all.
The working method i found was to use rubrip in ocr mode. save as microdvd sub/txt file.

Drag the produced file onto dvdsupencode.

Slow, but it works. Also I've been able to download srt files for films i previously could subtitle :-)

I think you were right about the planes, cus i never specified a width and the 720 sup works in half res.