PDA

View Full Version : A sub sync problem due to wrong timestamps!

cogd115
3rd October 2003, 19:23
This is a continuation of the question I asked in a thread below.

One proble I experienced was that the subtitles, from a certain point of an encoded movie (say, point X) on, vanished inexplicably. But, I now found the cause of it yet do not know how to correct it.

First of all, the problem is that the timestamps from the point X on get messed up. After roughly an hour and twenty minutes of the movie, the timestamps of the subtitles suddenly jump to two hours and fifty minutes and so and so seconds (thereby, the portion of the subtitles got pushed back to the time at which the movie has long ago ended :D ). I am trying to resync it in Gknot, it seems "reset time" works manually or not at all. I have been trying to look up how to use it yet not successful at it.

So, my q's are:

1. is there a way to reset time and/or timestamps?
2. is there a comprehensive manual on this topic of timestamping and changing it?

Thanks in advance..

Tuning
4th October 2003, 08:05
By using Vobsub's resync utility this can be done.It is something difficult as u need to pick the correct time in ms about a dialoge from media player.
Open the subtitle file(preferable *.sub) in a text editor and cut the unsyced portion and save as another subtitle file.Then syncronize only the second part.Then finally combine the second file with the first and save.
It also requires ur subs are clearly readable.The documents coming with vobsub may help u.

Another way is try this thread:http://www.doom9.org/sub.htm

cogd115
4th October 2003, 11:28
Thanks once again, tuning. I have been trying to do it like you said here. But, every damn time I join the two parts after sync'ing the messed up part, the timestamps I correctly adjusted and saved get messed up again. That is, in vobjoin I specify the time that the second sub file starts. Without a fail, in the merged file I find the wrong timestamps again for the second portion. More interestingly, if I put in 1 hour and 20 minute for instance, the combinded file has the second file timespamped at precisely twice as large of time value as that -- 2 hour and 40 minute.

I hate this encoding stuff. :)

ppera2
4th October 2003, 15:26
Interesting... It looks that something corrupts sub file by playback.

What player/subtitle filter you use?