PDA

View Full Version : VCD quality

allfriends
29th September 2003, 19:10
Is there any expert who can suggest me some filters in VirtualDub and/or Avisynth so that the encoded mpeg1 will have a little bit improved video quality?
Thanks in advance.

Tuning
29th September 2003, 19:34
Most CoDecs by which u can encode video in VirtualDub are lossy compression.i.e the original video quality will not be obtained.With some human nature (or precisely the eye's) this reduction in quality is not noticable.But u can encode the video to DivX/Xvid with some smoothness filter etc.If u wan't to increse the resolution the resize filter can be used.U can also use sharpnes/brightness/contrast/cropping filters to change the value given by the names.
My suggestion is if the video is noisy use the noise filter,or if it is too smooth use the sharp filer and crop and resize to a suitable resolution that u prefer and finally encode.

:) -Tuning

allfriends
29th September 2003, 20:54
Thanks for your reply.
Is that meant that I have to re-encode the original film source to another better resolution using those filters you suggested before encoding it to the final mpeg1 format?

trdfan4583
29th September 2003, 22:29
Originally posted by allfriends
Thanks for your reply.
Is that meant that I have to re-encode the original film source to another better resolution using those filters you suggested before encoding it to the final mpeg1 format?

also u can improve the quality by resolution.i tried soo many diffrent resolution untill i reach 480x480.that the best resolution i seen good so far.

smiller667
30th September 2003, 09:04
Umm ... VCD is 352x288 (pal) or 352x240 for ntsc people. Bitrates for audio and video are fixed as well. If you want to experiment with resolutions or bitrates, don't be surprised if standalone players reject it. Of course you can call it xvcd or sth. and you might even find a standalone which will play it back (at least if you stick to standard resolutions like VCD, CVD or SVCD).

As for VCD image quality: it is simply limited :) ... how did you make your VCD & what is your main problem? Too blurry? Block artifacts in high motion scenes?

If you need better resolution on a cd-r for playback on a standalone, try CVD or SVCD.

allfriends
30th September 2003, 14:09
Originally posted by smiller667
As for VCD image quality: it is simply limited :) ... how did you make your VCD & what is your main problem? Too blurry? Block artifacts in high motion scenes?

If you need better resolution on a cd-r for playback on a standalone, try CVD or SVCD.
The main problem is that the VCD is too blurry when playing it back in standalone player. I encoded the divx video source using Tmpgenc and I can't encoded it to SVCD because the player doesn't accept it. That's why I am thinking of using filters in VirtualDub or Avisynth(if it has much better one) to improve the quality of VCD image.
Could you suggest me some?

Thanks for your reply.

Die*wrek*show
30th September 2003, 17:15
I would suggest using bicubic resize if you haven't already. Here is the link. http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=Resize

ronnylov
1st October 2003, 15:04
A problem with using sharpening filters when encoding to standard VCD is that the bitrate is not enough to create a good looking image. It may even look better if you use a blur filter instead of a sharpening filter because you'll get less compression artifacts on a soft image. You can try some denoising filter (in avisynth/virtualdub or tmpgenc internal noise filter) to decrease some noise that is difficult to encode. I think using bilinearresize instead of bicubicresize give better results on a VCD. Maybe you can use some sharpening after noise removal if it's an easy movie to encode. Make some test clips and compare the results of different methods.

I would recommend to buy a DVD burner. The prices are falling now and you can get a dvd burner for the price you got a CD burner 2 years ago. Then you can use full DVD resolution and you are not so much limited in bitrate and resolution as in VCD.

Bubba
13th October 2003, 19:01
allfriends,

Try KVcd Templates. I found these templates amazingly improve VCD (i.e. mpeg1) quality without increasing the size of your finished output. The KVcd does assume you have a good source, such as a DVD source, but if you have a good divx source, I would think it should be OK.

Basically the KVCD templates modify the GOP structure and quantization matrix, and so if you want to put these KVCD created VCD clip on a DVD, most of the DVD authoring program will complain because the GOP is very long. But if you just want to create as a VCD with Nero or VCDEasy, then these 2 won't complain.

These templates (and their guides how to use them) can be found at:

http://www.kvcd.org/portal/index.php

Cheers,

P.S. If you decided to put your KVCD's created VCD on a DVD, remember to use 29.97 frame rate for NTSC instead of 23.97. And if your DVD Authoring program complain about the non-standard GOP, just ignore it. It should play fine on most DVD standalone. I did, and so far my VCD-on-DVD play fine on my 3 standalone (SAMPO, APEX, Norcent). BTW, I use TMPGEnc DVDAuthor as the DVD authoring program.

ratuna
29th October 2003, 22:31
Originally posted by allfriends
Is there any expert who can suggest me some filters in VirtualDub and/or Avisynth so that the encoded mpeg1 will have a little bit improved video quality?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

If you want better Mpeg1 quality it's time to take a look at http://www.kvcd.org/portal/index.php. There you can learn how to make KVCD, which is great in quality (and a little longer to encode).

Thanks.