PDA

View Full Version : Ripping subs to ssa (position info)

gizmotech
29th September 2003, 19:08
Heyo,

I was wondering how I could use subrip, or another ocr program to rip the subs from a DVD, and maintain their positional information? IE: titles on signs, little notes in the sub tracks on screen. I've looked in subrip 1.17.1 to try and find a way to rip w/ position information into ssa however I haven't seen an option for it.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Gizmo

Nimo
12th October 2003, 11:18
I'm using subrip to convert DVD-sub to "another format". In my case i convert to SSA-sub and then adjust position by the following...(use "Notepad" to open *.SSA file to adjust your subtitle's file)

[V4 Styles]
Format: Name, FontName, FontSize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
Style: Default,Arial,18,-1,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,2,2,8,8,8,0,18

Youi'll see something like this in the begining of SSA file.
Default = The name of subtitle's font, size, position, shadow etc. no need to change any thing.(you can create another style of your own subtitle's font, size, position etc. by adding new line of "Style : and then bah...bah...bah")
Arial = font of your sub
18 = font size
-1 = primary colour(i'm using "-1" for white colour)
0 = secondary colour...i don't know
0 = Tetiary colour...i don't know
0 = backcolour colour of your subtitle's outline (0 = black)
1 = Bold (set to 1 if you wanna show your sub like this)
0 = Italic like i said...
1 = BorderStyle...don't know
1 = outline (thickness of your outline)
2 = shadow (dept of shadow)
2 = alignment (1 = lower left, 2 = lower-center, 3 = lower-right and many...try it!)
8,8,8 = margin l,r,v ....how many space or blank you want to left from the edge of the screen? (MarginL = from left, R = From right, V = from vertical)
0 = alpha level ...still don't know
18 = encoding, if you are using another language like Thai(in my case) i have to set to 18, or 128 for Chinese or Japanese or....bah bah bah

that maybe all. Good luck!

smiller667
12th October 2003, 12:51
Try the extended srt format - it supports individual placements of each subtitle. Just tick the appropriate box in subrip.

geoffwa
16th October 2003, 04:20
The last time I used Subrip to rip straight to SSA it did keep the positional information.

Having said this how do you go about rendering it into a video stream?