PDA

View Full Version : Serrated lines in tv movie capture

reepa
26th September 2003, 09:47
Ok so it's a full vertical resolution PAL movie capture so there shouldn't be any weaving because both fields represent the same frame from the movie.

It's not only in the chrominance channel (is there a chroma channels only deinterlacing filter btw?) but also in the Y channel. In some situations the other field has some content from the next frame (a ghost of the next frame) but the other field doesn't. I'm capturing with Picvideo MJPEG with settings 4:2:2 and luma: 5 chroma: 20 compression. It shouldn't be a problem with my capture settings since my last capture looked much better. It's probably a crappy film-->tv conversion so is there anything I could do about it?

Koepi
26th September 2003, 10:05
You could try to open the video with avisynth adding the line

ComplementParity()

after the AviSource()-line.

(You can even try
SeparateFields()
Trim(1,0)
Weave()

Sometimes things were even more complex and needed

ComplementParity()
SeparateFields()
Trim(1,0)
Weave()
ComplementParity() # ...this line only very seldom

)

...helped my sources sometimes when capturing was done with a Bt8x8 chipset.

Sometimes the field dominance (right term here?) produces these artefacts.

Regards
Koepi

ronnylov
26th September 2003, 10:06
Maybe the rmpal virtualdub filter may help?

26th September 2003, 18:38
That is not classic combing. That looks like a problem I have seen a couple times where the capture card renders the even and odd fields with different luminances. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do about it except get a better capture card.

reepa
26th September 2003, 20:45
Thanks for the replies! Seems like the case neuron2 explained. My card's Hauppauge WinTV Go :p Although I did record a movie earlier with much more satistying results.

Anyway I found a very satisfying solution. Graft's Smart deinterlacer blends the lines nicely while retaining resolution in non-moving parts. Works really well with temporal smoother(5). I can't wait till HDTV gets more popular, no more messing around with analog sources :cool: