PDA

View Full Version : joining and sync subtitles when encoding a dvd with two discs

cogd115
24th September 2003, 20:16
With the help of a nice guy, I am getting a grip on how to encode two disced movies using Gordian Knot. Right now, I am trying to extract subtitles from each disk separately, and then join and sync them. However, I am not quite sure of how to join the subtitles and possibly sync them. Is there anyone who can shed some light on this matter? And, is it possible to extract one subtitle file out of the two discs at once?? Although the guys who helped me in the other forum can enlghten me on this, this topic seems more suitable for this sub forum. Thanks in advance...

screw
29th September 2003, 15:53
I have done this few times. There are two ways to my mind:
1. Join both DVD-s before you rip subtitles. IFOedit might be used for this, look at http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/joinclip.html
Than you will have one big movie no your harddrive, and you can rip subtitles from it as one file.

2. Rip subtitles from each movie part through SubRip's OCR to .srt file, than calculate and set time offset to second part .srt file (in the same SubRip program) and than join both files together, using any text editor. Time offset must be calculatet manually - at least, I do not know tool to automate this.

Screw

Tuning
29th September 2003, 16:21
Using Vobsub u can easily join the subs.
First create the index *.idx file of both subtitles from both discs.[If didnot know, visit www.doom9.org\dvobsub.htm (http://www.doom9.org/dvobsub.htm) and understand.]

Then use Vobsub joiner to join these files.and remember to put the "beginnig of input2"as the lenght of first file.[The time can be found by opening the ripped file [avi or.. anything]in VDM or u can enter the exact time upto ms of first video file]Then save as a new *idx.That is it.U can convert these subs to external *.srt/*.ass etc using Vobsub Resync and Typing the letters!.

cogd115
1st October 2003, 19:42
Thanks, tuning and screw. Somehow, you guys reminded me of how I screw up tuning my stratocater. :) Have a great day..