PDA

View Full Version : Why don't subs get muxed into OGM media more often?

lmb
24th September 2003, 14:18
Is it for compatibility's sake? I notice that VLC doesn't like most type of subs, and it won't even recognize the subtitle (SRT) file in an OGM media file, but if you have DirectVOBSub installed everything works as it should.

unmei
24th September 2003, 18:27
i think compatibility of players is one thing, it can be solved with guliverkli stuff relatively easy.

Besides that, its a fact that overlaying subtitles in realtime is taking processing power. While a hardsubbed video makes no difference to no subs at all, already soft SRT creates some problems on some computers and users then have to understand a little more. But it gets even worse for SSA/ASS - you'll have to try-and-error quite a bit to get a soft SSAed video to work fluently on a 600mhz box and for people who run tons of background crap (tray..) it might be impossible.

Besides SSA/ASS cannot do everything that is done in fansubs. Lots of special effects are simply not possible with todays soft subtile solutions. Also, a author might want to make sure, his logo or credits cannot be removed from the video.

But oh well, the last two points were not a real problem, you could simply hardsub the parts you dont want to be removed or you need special effects for and still make the main script soft...that IMHO would be a good solution and i hope the number of people considering this will increase over time as soft muxed subs are more widely known.

Erhune
1st October 2003, 12:33
Imagine when we have the effects part enabled in USF... Ahhhh... Sweet dream :)