PDA

View Full Version : Adding Subtitles to avis?

cogd115
23rd September 2003, 19:45
I have discovered a weird thing. I made a xvid version of a movie by means of Gordian Knot. With permanent subtitles. Everything was fine until the middle of the movie, then the subtitles from a certain point on were no show inexplicably. I guess I can try to encode the movie all over again.. But is there any other way to add the missing subtitles (for the second half of the movie) to the avi I already created? Thanks..

unmei
24th September 2003, 18:52
as you say permanent (hard) subtitles - no, there is no other way to add than to reencode. But you might want to determine why it stopped adding then in the middle, before trying again and discovering the same happens again. My bet is the problem is in the subtitle file, either a timing problem or there was invalid stuff that made the renderer ignore the rest (a unclosed tag or a special char it doesnt recognise..something in this category).

cogd115
24th September 2003, 20:22
Ouch.. I dont want spend another day to encode that movie.. grrrrrrr.. :D

I thank you, unmei, for the info. Being a newbie, I am not sure how to check whether or not the sub file has a problem. Stop laughing! :D

Jokes aside, I thanks you once again...

Would ya look at another q of mine regarding creating and adding permanent subtitles for a movie from two dvd discs?

cogd115
2nd October 2003, 13:47
I tried to rip that movie again. This time, I carefully ripped the subtitles, went through the preview and found that the same thing happened. THe subtitles after a certain point on did not show. So, unmei is undoubtedly correct that there is a problem with the sub file.

How do I check the subfiles (idx or sub) and rectify the problem? One of the files contains only time stamping, which by the way looks quite weird as time seems to extend well over 3 hours while the movie only lasts a little over 2 hours. The other subfile, the larger one, is illegible in the notepad.

This thing really gets on my nerve. Grrrrrrrrrrr..........