PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with SRT subs?

AR3A51
22nd September 2003, 05:19
I have ripped a subtitle from my DVD but it is SRT. I dont know what to do with it. Can someone please teach me how to put it back into my VCD?

clickit
22nd September 2003, 06:45
with what software you are make your VCD's ???

AR3A51
23rd September 2003, 01:17
I dont know, I never dealt with SRT before.

smiller667
23rd September 2003, 01:27
SRT is a text-based subtitle format (you can read & edit it in notepad). As such, you can convert it to other (perhaps more familiar) formats using software like Subtitle Workshop.

What precisely do you want to do?
Permanently integrate it into your VCD? This would entail reencoding it. Easiest way to do so is using dvd2svcd & re-ripping it.
Or just display the subs during playback on your PC? There is no way like multiplexing it ínto an existing VCD so that it can be displayed by a standalone.

AR3A51
23rd September 2003, 02:26
Since I'm a total newbie at this, I'll tell you what I want and you tell me how to do it. I have a SRT file and a Xvid movie file. I just want it to be displayed on my VCD from my VCD player. However if that means it have to permantly be encoded in, fine. Tell me the steps and easiest ways to do it. Ill be back in an hour, and I'll disgust problems with you later. Thanks in advance.

AR3A51
23rd September 2003, 05:18
K, I checked around, I found that what I want is to permantly "burn" in my sub into my video file so its on the same stream and when I use TMPG it will look normal. Then I burn it as VCD. But this requires re-encoding. As far as I know, which is nothing, I dont have a re-encoding program. Which should I use? Is burning in the subtitle same as muxing? And AviMux cant use SRT.

jggimi
23rd September 2003, 13:53
You are correct. VCD does not support subtitle tracks. Subtitles need to be part of the video stream.

As smiller suggested, the DVD2SVCD suite can be used to go from DVD to VCD, and includes subtitle support. (There are guides and forums for DVD2SVCD here, it is a very popular encoding suite.) Doom9's DVD2SVCD guide includes a picture of the Subtitle tab, and says the following:...If you want subtitles check Rip subtitles and select the subtitle streams you want. Leave the Min. ms between subtitles value alone.

When you select SVCD Subtitles you will get selectable subtitles (works only on standalones and not on all). CVD subtitles are equivalent to what I-author creates for you, they should be less supported but who knows, maybe that's the only mode that works for you. In any case both SVCD subs and CVD subs can be turned on and off. Permanent Subtitles will burn the subtitles in the video stream so that they cannot be removed.In your cross-post in the Newbie forum, you mentioned TMPGEnc is used for your VCD encoder. DVD2SVCD works with TMPGEnc.

By default, DVD2SVCD will make SVCDs, but you can easily change that to VCDs by pressing the "Load Settings" button on the Misc tab, and loading the VCD-Settings.ini file. When you do that, only "Permanent Subtitles" will be possible.

AR3A51
23rd September 2003, 15:16
Ok, I think this might be too confusing but my main point is, I dont have a DVD-Rom. The movie is from my DV camera and the subtitles are made by my friend (my partner for my drama project). So now I ONLY have a avi file and a srt file. Without using DVD2SVCD what else can JUST re-encode or mux them together.

smiller667
23rd September 2003, 18:16
Two methods: use dvd2svcd in avi2svcd mode and specify external subtitles (srt is supported).
Alternatively, install DVobsub, put your avi & srt file in the same directory & give them the same name. Open up TMPGEnc to encode your VCD; dvobsub should auto-load the sub and it will be hard-coded into your VCD.

AR3A51
24th September 2003, 00:35
I like the second alternative but explain in more details please. I tried using the subtitle guide but I cant get the CMD to work.