PDA

View Full Version : How to add your own created subtitle file into a DVD

callstreet
22nd September 2003, 01:07
I looked at subtitle workshop. Assume that I can create my subtitles compatible to DVD format, how can I add the stream to a DVD? What I have in mind is not another DVD authoring program like Mastro or Scenearist. I'm prepared to pay for, but not yet, DVD-lab. It doesn't do subtitles, and a lot of other things. Can something like infoedit mux the subtitle files?

smiller667
22nd September 2003, 01:11
About ifoedit: yes, it can mux subtitles. They have to be in .sup format (which can be created using srt2sup). There is also sub2sup which will convert vobsub .sub to .sup. You will need separate (demuxed) video & audio as well.

SAFE_Dives
7th November 2003, 23:59
@smiller667

I have been trying to add subtitles to a 'home movie' of a school stage play that I put on a DVD a while back. I have been trying to use the audio and video files extracted from the DVD with subtitles I created. The problems I have had trying to get the subtitles mux'd into a new DVD using IFOedit have been numerous, to the extent that I had given up. :(

It sounds like you might have the answer to how to achieve what I am after. So, any chance you could elaborate on exactly how to add subtitles to a DVD that does not already have subtitles (using IFOedit)?

From what I can remember, the final problem that I had was a mismatch between the time that a title was meant to play for and the time that it actually ran on 'til - i.e. each title (the s/w I used to author the original DVD - Pinnacle Express uses titles for each menu item and I have a menu item for each scene of the play) runs past where it should end. This also means that each menu item (apart from the first one) starts after where it should start.

Thanx for any help you can give.

ceanth
21st November 2003, 15:36
is there any complete guide which shows you how to create subtitles and insert them into an existing movie. Something with pictures would be nice :)

RR
26th November 2003, 00:11
yeah yeah, newbies need help ! :)

Wensleydale
2nd December 2003, 10:55
Help us! :)

SAFE_Dives
3rd December 2003, 08:37
Someone might want to try a peek at the following guide -

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

It gives a procedure for converting SRT subtitles to SUP for use with IFOEDIT (with pictures CEANTH .:p ). It also gives a procedure for adding the subtitles using IFOEDIT.

I have not tried this particular method, as I don't have the time at the moment due to ill health in the family. If someone wants to try it out, I would be most interested in the results. Especially as it seems very much like the procedure I have tried, except that I was trying to put together a 'film' from a number of separate AVI/MPG files - this method appears to be working with a single AVI file. Also, I wanted to keep my original menu and this method does not seem to mention menus.

Good Luck if anyone tries it and please give some feedback.

pepipocpoc
8th December 2003, 00:28
Hello, hello.

I just gave a look at your link, and, YES, I can assure you this is a good one. In fact srt2sup is pretty straightforward (;) 10x srt2sup), if you can have text-based subtitles. It's getting harder with bmp-based subs... At least, I personally am nearly stuck with it. But try and try again, you'll find a way...

Use srt2sup. Just :

-(@SAFE_Dives) make shure your durations are viables ; do you use subtitle workshop?
-make shure, once authored with ifoedit, to do the color trick if you don't like frog-green subtitles.

Perform a little search, it wont hurt you :D .

SAFE_Dives
9th December 2003, 09:24
@pepipocpoc -

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been using text subtitles, converting them from .srt to .sup files, using srt2sup, and I have used Subtitle Workshop to get all the timings right.

CORRECTION : I use SubStation Alpha to get the timings right (I really do recommend SSA - it has taken all the hassle out of getting timings right for me); I use Subtitle Workshop to convert from .ssa files to .srt, then srt2sup to convert from .srt files to .sup files.

I have also done the colour mods (by copying the subtitle stream colour settings from a commercial video).

The problem I have is that I have separated the video into sections (it is too large to do on a Windows 98 pc as one file and was originally burnt to DVD {by me, from a DVCam, via the PC} with a menu system to access each section. I have been re-creating each section of the video with its own subtitle file into VOB files, using IFOEDIT. I have then been trying to join these VOB files back together using VOBEDIT, IFOEDIT and anything else I could legally get my hands on. I have been able to successfully create the VOB files and they each work OK on their own. The problem area is joining them back together to get a set of files that can be linked together on a DVD - the timing seems to go wrong and I cannot re-integrate the menu system.

Regarding your problem with the .bmp subtitle files ... Is there some reason you want to use .bmp files rather than converting them to .srt text files?

pepipocpoc
9th December 2003, 10:29
Hello, SAFE_Dives.

About joining different vob files, the trick I use, freeware ;) , is to author each movie (with ifoedit) separately, each one with its own VIDEO_TS. Right. THEN, I use DVDShrink (3.0 Beta5) to re-author all in one ; and it works great and fast. If you don't need to actually "shink" you files, the prog will just copy all the vob files (as I understand it, but I may be wrong ; that's the way it looks) and compile all the video_ts files to one. Dunno if I make me clear, but try it, it really works perfect for me.

Then, about bmp-based subs, yes, I would certainly prefer not having to deal with that :rolleyes: . But when trying to get svcd on dvd-r (demux all, change some headers or extensions, extract & convert subs to sup...), I'm affraid there isn't (yet) another solution.

Let me know about dvdshrink.

pepi

SAFE_Dives
9th December 2003, 22:28
Hi pepipocpoc,

Thanks very much for the tip about using DVDShrink.:D I will try that out as soon as possible - still have a family health problem, so don't have enough time at the moment to try it right now. Will let you know how I get on with your method as soon as I have had a chance to try it.

I wish I could help with your SVCD to DVD-R problem with the .bmp files, but I haven't looked at VCDs yet. :( I'm still trying to get my head around going from DV camcorder tape to DVD-R. Having said that, though, am I right in saying that you cannot get .srt from the SVCD, you can only get the .bmp files? If that is the case, I am sure I have seen a way of getting from .bmp files to .srt. I will try and find the (freeware)software/method.

Again, many thanks.

RobertR
10th December 2003, 00:11
Originally posted by pepipocpoc
It's getting harder with bmp-based subs... At least, I personally am nearly stuck with it. But try and try again, you'll find a way...
If You have bmp-base subs with *.sst file that has timings to them it's kinda easy. Follow Big3 guide (from www.doom9.org) but don't let DIF4U to launch Re-Authorist. In your workdir in subs directory create directory with similar names as the ones already there (just change last number to next in sequence). Copy Your bitmaps and .sst file to that dir. Then start Re-Authorist point it to your workdir and let it do it's job. From this point on You can follow the guide (eventually recompress your movie and import to Scenarist and so on...) Actually for quite some time i have a guide on it but it's in Polish. I'll try to find some spare time and translate it to English and publish at least link to it. (this guide totally skips reencoding part as i think that there are already excelent guides on it)

SAFE_Dives
12th December 2003, 17:31
Hi pepipocpoc,

Many thanks to you for the hint on using DVDShrink to get all 14 of my VOBs onto one disk - it worked first time (once I found v3 beta 5 - my first download was 103).

I'm now a very happy bunny, with a fully subtitled home video ready to burn to a DVD. GREAT! Now I have to try out some of the tips I found to merge in the original menu I created with Pinnacle Express, and maybe add in some chapter points.

Sorry, but the software I thought might help you turned out to be SubRip and the version I have does not convert .bmp files to .srt files - it outputs one or the other from decrypted DVD files. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but have you tried any OCR software to convert your .bmp files to .srt files? Is there an OCR out there that will perform batch conversions on small .bmp files?

Thanks pepipocpoc!

pepipocpoc
12th December 2003, 21:32
:D Glad to help!

About ocr, I tried some progs, but the only that could scan many files at once was readiris pro ; only 50 files each time :( . So I had up to 30 txt files I had to join then convert :scared: . I stopped that waste of time, but maybe someone will tell me someday what else can be done. However, since the only prog I know to extract SVCD subtitles gives bmp-based subs, I think that bmp-dealing is the best (quickest) way. Still, if I could write my own SVCD-subtitles-extraction prog, it would certainly use OCR...

Ah! Mr RobertR! Sorry I forgot to thank you. No that I know if your tip works (I'm too tired at the moment to try anything, but will try as soon as better), but it's always so reconforting to recieve some clues :D . So : thanks! And, by the way, if you ever translate you polish guide, let me (us ;) ) know.

But for now, I'm gonna sleep.

pepi

SAFE_Dives
12th December 2003, 22:27
Hey pepi,

I have just been looking at the SRT2SUP program and it seems that it can accept not just .srt files as input, but also .bmp files. I am going to try it out, by first demuxing .bmp files from a DVD, then using SRT2SUP to convert the .bmp files to .srt files. Will report what I find. I hope it might be of help to you.

SD

SAFE_Dives
12th December 2003, 23:00
Hi pepi,

No, SRT2SUP does not convert .bmp files to .srt files, BUT ...

YES! SRT2SUP translates .bmp files to .sup files! You need your .bmp files PLUS one .srt file which defines :

firstline - the subtitle number (counting up for each .bmp file from 1 to whatever number of .bmp files you have)
second line - the timing details (start time --> finish time)
third line - the .bmp filename
fourth line - blank

So, it should look something like this ...

00:01:39.253 --> 00:01:41,483
Terminator00001.bmp

00:01:41.693 --> 00:01:43,524
Terminator00002.bmp

etc.

Hope this helps you with your subtitles.

All the best.

SD

pepipocpoc
13th December 2003, 23:51
Hi, safedives

It's kind of you to have searched for me (and it may serve to you some day), but the problem I encouter is a bit futher. I knew srt2sup would convert bmp-based subs to srt ; what I don't know (well) is to deal with colors. My extracted subs (bmp) usually have 3 colors (black background, grey anti-alias/outline, white font). What I would like to know is how make srt2sup render all of these. Srt2sup (the member) already hinted me to an earlier version that was (is) more complex (:rolleyes: ) but for now I haven't time to perform deep research with it. Later.

10x
pepi

pepipocpoc
18th December 2003, 09:10
Hello, hello, I'm back. And not satisfied.

I tried to figure out how srt2sup va4.02 handle colors, and spen some time on it... with not much success. Can someone help me, this time? Have I to open a new thread? Coo-ee, srt2sup, do you hear me, mods, please, gurus...

10x

emdiem
19th December 2003, 17:06
I done like the guide and when i open the dvddir local with powerDVD the subtext showed, but with much delay, and only with a greenbackground, the text didnt show. So i chaged totally in globalsettings and have black bgcolor and white text.. saveing, then ifoedit like guide.. This time the sub don even show with powerDVD

is it becosue powerDVD isnt cool like my DVDplayer? =P
Shall I take a 50/50 and just burn and test the movie?
a dvdr cost more than just a cdr so i dont want to testburn and hope god makes it work.

pepipocpoc
19th December 2003, 17:41
Maybe a DVD-RW is affordable... Anyway, yes, most standalones are much more "cool" than powerDVD.

emdiem
19th December 2003, 22:13
thing is that now i got the sub synched and i looks good in srt2sup

but after ifoedit the room where the subs shall be there are green box.. whenever the text shall show... suxx

SAFE_Dives
19th December 2003, 22:32
@emdiem

Have you tried copying the subtitle colour palette from another DVD once you have authored the video?

emdiem
21st December 2003, 04:26
ah! i open a file from a real working dvd that has this kind of supbs i want, copy color.. then open my file and paste... COOL!

thanks alot!

EDIT: the thing is that i copyed a color from another movie, but it didnt look at all like the org. dvd ... blue background, but the dvd i copied from had black.. PAL / NTCS issues perhaps?

well i manage to figure out how it works but I can only change 0-3 becosue thats the colors i have from "srt2sup". what does the other colorhex control?

its goign down to 15 (0-15)

SAFE_Dives
21st December 2003, 16:32
@emdiem

I have very little knowledge about subtitles and DVDs, and I am not sure I understand what you are saying. :confused: So, correct me if I am wrong, but -

You have managed to get good colours (not the bright green backgrounds you had before) for your subtitles, :D but they are not the same as from the DVD you copied the palette from.

OK ...

Are the colours the same as you specified in srt2sup? :) If so, then that appears to be exactly what I have been getting with my attempts to subtitle a home video. :cool: - I think that is the way that srt2sup is meant to work, but I don't know for certain. (Maybe someone out there can tell us how the subtitle colours work when using srt2sup and copying in the palette from a commercial DVD?)

Is your source material for the video the DVD you copied the palette from? (Are you creating a home video-type DVD and adding subtitles, or are you ripping a DVD? If you are ripping a DVD, then using the DVD you are ripping to copy the palette is the obvious way to ensure you get the same colours; but I would expect that you probably have to make sure that you have selected the same colour combination in srt2sup.)

I do not think it is anything to do with PAL/NTSC issues. I would be surprised if it was. :rolleyes:

I have tried to find freely-available information on why there are 16 entries in the colour palette, but have not managed to find anything yet. I am pretty sure I did read that subtitles only use 4 colours. So, maybe there is space for four sets of subtitle colour combinations? Someone out there able to give us the inside info? ;)

emdiem
21st December 2003, 16:40
Well I copied subcolors from American Pie 2, PAL reg. 2

pastle to my NTSC movie and the text was now white with blue outline..

What i also know is that with the program srt2sup you can define the thickness of the outline etc, this cant be inplanted with ifoedit ?

Im learning to insert subs so I know becouse I have a dvddokumentry we made about our club. So im testing on a NTSC nonsubtitled DVD movie. So i have no colors to use so I have to take it from another DVD.

I used the colorsettings I had in srt2sup and looks okey. but the "transparasy" thing dont really enables? Like backgroundcolor i wanted black and transparant, turned out solid black.

But i now know how to insert my subtitles and set black,white colors... Tricky is that they are centred, so these settings I want to explore how to change, and the other 10color marks that comes after.

SAFE_Dives
28th December 2003, 18:11
@emdiem

I have been trying various settings in srt2sup for the subtitle colours on my own home-made DVD, since your last post. I have also tried various fonts and text outline thicknesses.

My findings are :

All I ever get is grey text on a black background.

The font I choose does affect the font displayed, but the colours I choose do not affect the colours displayed. (I have tried using global colours as well as individual colours for each subtitle.)

I have used various commercial DVDs (Sixth Day, Hearts in Atlantis ...) to copy the palette from and still get the same result - grey text on black background.

On one occasion, some time ago, I did manage to get a transparent background. However, I am now unable to do that.

Could it be that the colours that are chosen have to be the same as used in the DVD you copy the palette from? To get the white with blue outline on black background that you have managed, are you setting the colours in srt2sup to the same colours in the DVD you copy the palette from?

emdiem
28th December 2003, 21:05
I copy code from american pie 2 ... black outline, white inside.. no background color... paste to my movei, it gets blue outlines and black background... so strange.

But im fine with black and white, used to it now.

pepipocpoc
30th December 2003, 23:31
Hi, everybody. I'm back :D .

Did you have a look at this : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65947 ?

Srt2Sup
12th January 2004, 00:33
Hi All,

I have looked into the problem of what to do with Srt2Sup if you are adding subtitles to an existing DVD.

I have a workaround and I am working on a tool to assist in the workaround.

In the SUP file created by Srt2Sup it writes a record 03,32,10 after every subtitle which is the colour mapping record. This maps to colours 0,1,2 and 3 in the IFO file!

Now this is not for newbies, but with a hex editor you could replace 03,32,10 (hex) with say 03,fe,dc. This would move the colours of each subtitle to used 12,13,14 & 15 in the IFO file.

You should now be able to change these colours without affecting the original subtitle colours.

As I have said I am working on a tool to help in doing this!

Regards

Srt2Sup

SAFE_Dives
15th January 2004, 10:56
Another one some people might want to try out is changing the transparency level of the subtitle. This can be done by hex editing the record immediately following the one Srt2Sup mentions. This record begins with an 04 byte and is followed by two more bytes. Each digit of these two bytes appears to be set, by srt2sup, to either 'f' or '0' - 'f' is fully opaque and '0' is fully transparent. Other values will give transparency levels between the two extremes. The correlation to the subtitle components is exactly the same as Srt2Sup states for the colours.

@Srt2Sup

I think I may have discovered a bugette -

If I try to set the following colours in srt2sup :

Background, Outline and Antialiasing to Black with Background transparent, but Outline and Antialiasing opaque.
Text to Yellow.

I get yellow characters with no background (Good)
I don't get any Outline or Antialiasing (Not good)

However, if in srt2sup I set (say) :

Background - Black (Transparent)
Outline - White (Opaque)
Text - Blue (Opaque)
Antialias - Aqua (Opaque)

I can then edit the colour palette in ifoedit to :

Background - Black
Outline - Black
Text - Yellow
Antialias - Black

and I get what I was after - black outlined, yellow text with no background.

Looking at the transparency record I mentioned above, srt2sup gets it right. Is there something else that also affects transparency (hence a bug in srt2sup)? Or is it. maybe, a bug in ifoedit?
It would appear that one of the programs (I must admit I suspect ifoedit) looks at the colour and sees that black has already been used for the background and decides to use the transparency that was defined for the background, rather than using the transparency relevant to the Outline or Antialiasing.

Any thoughts?

Srt2Sup
15th January 2004, 16:50
Hi,

I have thought about this and it is a problem with Srt2Sup!

When I create the SUP file I scan the rendered text pixel by pixel to create a MAP with the selected colours.

Now if any of the other colours match the background although you know this is say "outline" when I scan it pixel by pixel I only know it is say black. I will use the first match I come to which is black, but "background" black not "outline" black so it gets set as a background colour not an outline colour!

So the workaround is :- Always set transparent colours to a colour different from your visible colours!

This is a minor inconvenience as it is transparent anyway!

I don't know why this did not come to me before. Perhaps I was looking more at the transparency flag and was thrown off!

Thanks for all your efforts.

Regards

Srt2Sup

pepipocpoc
15th January 2004, 21:29
erm, this all seems very nice to me, but I guess you all are talking about text-based subs. What about bmp-based ones? I never had good results with those ones. In fact, I can't deal with more than 2 colors (back and text), BUT I would like to have the 4 colors... Any help or even clue would be welcome.

SAFE_Dives
16th January 2004, 09:17
@Srt2Sup

I'm very surprised to learn that you believe it is your app that causes the transparency problem. (Obviously you know much more than I do about the detail mechanics of subtitles, but if I have got it right about the transparency record coming directly after the colour record, then, as I said, your app seems to have got the values spot on - fff0 is what I get when I set just the background colour to transparent.)

I fully agree with you that there is a very simple workaround, exactly as you stated.

Srt2Sup
16th January 2004, 11:47
Hi,

Perhaps I need to explain further with a diagram!

A simple block using [B]ackground, [A]ntialias, [O]utline & [T]ext

BBBBBBBBBB
BAAAAAAAAB
BAOOOOOOAB
BAOTTTTOAB

Now this is how you see it as a human. If we use colours 0,1,2 & 3 ie 4 different colours we get:

All ok so far, but if we use the same colour for say background and text so 0, 1, 2 & 0 we get

So looking from the computers eyes all of a sudden the text has become the background and the background is marked as transparent!

Hence the problem arises. The computer can't tell the difference between background and text if they are the same colour!

And because the computer does not know the difference between rendered text and bitmaps (they are both bitmaps once rendered) this applies to bitmap subtitles as well!

This is difficult to show in a message, but hopefully you can understand what I am trying to say?

Regards

Srt2Sup

Srt2Sup
16th January 2004, 16:53
Hi All,

I have created this app I talked about earlier.

You can get it from:

http://www.shipleys.eclipse.co.uk/supremap.htm

I put it together very quickly and have only tested it on SUP files created by Srt2Sup.

Regards

Srt2Sup

SAFE_Dives
17th January 2004, 15:21
Hi,

I see what you mean and, in actual fact, it is [B]not[B] a bug or problem in ifoedit or srt2sup (certainly not in respect of the bitmaps side of things), rather it is a problem/side-effect of using bitmaps/rendered text.
The bitmap problem is insurmountable, but I can see a way round the rendered text problem - by always rendering the text in four fixed colours that are not related to those chosen by the user. However, that is effectively what we do by using the workaround mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the explanation and apologies for being a bit thick in not understanding your first description.

Have just taken a look at the page for your new SupReMap app. Nice idea! You say To Come might be the ability to re-map single (or range of) subtitles - I really hope you provide those and hope you can also include an ability to re-map a series of subtitles e.g. 1,2,5,7,10 ...

All the best!

SidDan
26th January 2004, 00:05
Srt2Sup.. you and your program skills are the best!!

I had a long time problem with my added sub having the wrong colors compared to with the original. The character for the added sub had the same color number as the original outline color... I was going crazy for 2 weeks.

if it wasn´t for a guy who gave me a direct link to this forum I still would be stuck..

TSX
1st February 2004, 22:03
is there no decent guide at all? cause i really don't have a clue on how to do it :confused:

didn't know it was so complicated to add some .sub or .srt file to a dvd ...

grtz

pepipocpoc
2nd February 2004, 00:17
there may not be "decent" guides, but if you perform a little search, there are tons of "undecent" ones :sly: .

You may search such words as "sup" or "srt2sup" (good freeware, by the way).

:( yes, it is quite hard to add subtitles, but you sure can do it :) .

TSX
3rd February 2004, 17:58
going to try then...
thx anyways

grtz

pepipocpoc
3rd February 2004, 18:41
@TSX

Oh, by the way, I've just re-read a thread about being "rude" or "nice". Since I was rude about members being rude :D , I hope you don't think I am so...

Anyway, about your subs -that's what concerns you, in fact- let me know. Let us know. It's always easiest to help when there is an accurate problem...

So, let me know :) .

TSX
3rd February 2004, 21:23
you good person cause your replied on what i said ;)

i'll let you know if it works cause right now i'm a bit lost with all those progs :p

grtz

Srt2Sup
4th February 2004, 23:42
Hi,

I have updated my SupRemap tool so that you can now open an IFO file and see the colours it uses!

www.shipleys.eclipse.co.uk

You can use this ability just to look at IFO files you do not have to do the remapping.

I have not tested this feature in depth so if you get an IFO file that does not work let me know!

Regards

Srt2Sup

pepipocpoc
5th February 2004, 02:00
Hey! Mr Srt2sup! Or may I call you Gandalf? Dunno.

I can easily understand you don't want to recieve nor reply to pers'nal posts, like "how do you" or "where to". BUT. I still am stuck with srt2sup bmp-based subtitles and dunno how to deal with more than 2 colors... And I bet I'm not the only one. Can't you PLEASE help me -us?

Anyway, your (last)-prog still is one of my favourites. So, even if you can't help (or don't want to) with bmp-based subs, I'd still like to give you a very big THANK YOU.

Srt2Sup
5th February 2004, 10:21
Hi,

OK so I have cracked the transparency problem let me see if we can crack bitmap subtitles!

1) Your bitmaps must be produced using only 4 of the Windows 16 basic colours.

2) Once you have loaded your Bitmap based SRT you must set the global colours to match your bitmap colours.

3) You must use the same colours for each element on every bitmap.

If you do the above it should be OK.

If not please email me:

1)Your SRT file + bitmaps
2)Your S2S file
3)Your generated SUP file

It would make it easier for me if your SUP file was generated withour RLL encoding (see global settings)

Another test you can do is to reimport the SUP file you have created. The colours will be different, but is there 4 colours used (or less if you used less)?

As I have said once text has been rendered on the display to create a SUP file it is just the same as a Bitmap!

Regards

Srt2Sup

pepipocpoc
5th February 2004, 11:15
:) many thanks. I'll try this ASAP.

pepipocpoc
7th February 2004, 01:51
@srt2sup (and others)

Well, I tried.

For now, the trouble is that vob2sub (the only prog I know that can extract subs from mpeg files, but I'm still waiting for any other) only give 3 of 4 good colors. The fourth is not in the 16 windows basic colours...

There seems to be an option in vob2sub to choose the colors, by opening a "palette.txt" file ; unfortunately I have no idea of the way to get (set) this file... Any suggestion welcome.

So, at the moment I'm tryin to change this colour manually... What a waste of time :mad: . Does any of you know a prog to automate this?

Finally, following your post, I get only 3 of 4 colours (from test files I properly changed ; well, I think I did it properly). Do you suggest, like you did once, to use a4.02 instead of a4.03 ?

Anyway, even if not yet perfect, what I get now seems better than what I had.

Thanks again. I may soon post what you said.

Srt2Sup
7th February 2004, 12:10
Hi,

Does SubRip not do what you want?

I have the source files for vob2sub.c (if it is the same program) and I will have a look at them!

Regards

Srt2Sup

pepipocpoc
7th February 2004, 12:19
Hi,

subrip can't extract SVCD's subs ; that's why I use vob2sub.

Hopefully waiting for your help :)
Regards

pepipocpoc
9th February 2004, 10:10
Well, that's it. I've done it. That is to say, smiller667 and srt2sup helped me very much, but now it's done. How silly was my problem! I couldn't convert my bmp-based subs to sup correctly just because of wrong colors in the bmps...

OK, now, I'm happy for a while.

:D :D :D many thanks to srt2sup for his very patient help and very useful prog :D :D :D

TSX
10th February 2004, 19:52
hehe me still having no clue on how to start :p its chinese for me :confused:

*i have a dream, that it will work someday :D *

grtz :)

pepipocpoc
10th February 2004, 23:36
Do you really want to start?

TSX
11th February 2004, 15:27
of course thats why i bought myself a dvd burner...i want to learn it all :)

pepipocpoc
11th February 2004, 16:09
Well, two questions for a start :

What exactly do you want to do?
Did you searched a little?

Help yourself, we may help you too ;)

TSX
12th February 2004, 17:53
i want to add subs (.sub or .srt) files to my dvds...
i already have the progs i think (ifoedit, tmpgenc, srt2sup...)
don't know if i need more progs...but the prob is that i really don't know how to start :p

some help would be nice :)

SidDan
12th February 2004, 18:57
you can start by comverting your srt to sup, with the help of SRT2SUP pogram, simpy load a new file as text and not bmp and then experiment with the Global settings.... and be sure to select black color with transparency and...... check all subtitle lines before saving it as sup

pepipocpoc
12th February 2004, 22:38
you can SEARCH using "srt2sup" in the keyword field and "pepipocpoc" in the user name's.

Mainly you have to :
1-demux your vobs (vobedit)
2-convert your srt to sup (srt2sup)
3-remux all (ifoedit) and perform the color trick

Let us know

Yusaku
5th March 2004, 10:39
Another way how to mux bitmap subtitles (16 possible colors) or formatted SSA subtitles in DVD is using Son2VobSub http://www.anime.cz/s2v - it is just very simple utility to convert SON format used in professional DVD authoring.

It supports all 16 colors (at most 4 at the time) and transparency - i.e. maximum possible under DVD specs.

To create SON scripts, use either MaestroSBT (renders from SSA very high quality looking subs, used on some better-looking commercial DVDs...) or SubResync (demuxes from VobSub).

Output is in VobSub - use SubToSup there; or better point me to some place describing SUP fileformat so that I can implement direct SUP saving (or a C code implementing reading or writing of a SUP file - I just don't feel like hexa-reverse-engineering my way through).

As SubToSup AFAIK doesn't write palette entries (or rather palette is not included in SUP fileformat...), you'll have to edit them accordingly in VTS_PGCITI>VTS_PGC_x using IfoEdit after authoring to the same values as written in the VobSub index file

Sakuya
10th April 2004, 22:45
Originally posted by pepipocpoc
About joining different vob files, the trick I use, freeware ;) , is to author each movie (with ifoedit) separately, each one with its own VIDEO_TS. Right. THEN, I use DVDShrink (3.0 Beta5) to re-author all in one ; and it works great and fast. If you don't need to actually "shink" you files, the prog will just copy all the vob files (as I understand it, but I may be wrong ; that's the way it looks) and compile all the video_ts files to one. Dunno if I make me clear, but try it, it really works perfect for me.

I have a question about your technique above. I only have one movie and 4 extra video clips. I want 1 subtitle stream as well as 2 still menus I created to link them all together. How do I go about doing this and then re-author in DVDShrink? I have DVD-lab also so I'm not sure how to author with only menus that don't link to anything...:(

Edit:
DVD-lab PRO would be the solution for me but no matter what, it would not output completely. Here are the errors I've been getting:

1. No VOB/IFO/BUP in specified folder
2. 9 VOBs but no IFO/BUP files (files named VIDEO_TS not available either)
3. Runtime error

Now, can anyone help me with the DVD Shrink technique then? How do I author menus and subtitles? Because DVD-lab PRO won't output any IFO files, I cannot open anything in DVD Shrink. :angry:

pepipocpoc
12th April 2004, 09:04
Sorry, Sakuya, I'm not your man.

I long ago stopped messing with menus, since I don't se the point of it (that's a personnal point of view, but it's mine). I never put a DVD in my standalone telling myself "I'm gonna watch some great menus", and it is always possible to navigate from a title to an other one using my remote control...

Sorry.

EdwinGF
4th June 2004, 21:51
How nice would be that a single program, integrated on it what SRT2SUP, SUP Remap, and IFO Edit does. I mean, one single program for everything.

A program capable of showing a WYSIWYG image of your work, for adding the subtitles, with native compatibility for various formats like Subtitle Workshop, editing them in all the possible aspects, setting the correct or desired colors, outline and transparency levels for them (like when working with layers with Photoshop :D )and finally the ability to put all what you have just done, together in a VIDEO_TS folder ready to burn.

I know that such a program doesnt exists yet (or that's what I think) but it would really be a BIG help for all of us. Thing is that such a program could cost hundreds of $. But it would help a lot, and would worth the money. Maybe in the future.

See ya all.

Edwin

p.d.

I'm still reading and reading and reading, until I find a way to get high quality, floating selectable subtitles to my own DVDs. It may sound difficult but I know that's not impossible. If they can do it (the industry) then we can also do it! Unless, or course, they're from another world :sly:

SAFE_Dives
15th December 2004, 14:35
@Edwin
What do you mean by 'floating' subtitles? (If you mean no black box around the text, then that is possible with the tools and methods described in this thread.)

All the best

mgh
19th April 2005, 18:23
Easiest and most stable(everything else has crashed for me)
Subtitle tool
http://www.tomzavodny.cz/program/subtool/index_en.php
Load your vid first-play it with slowed down speed-pause where you want to insert subtitle-click insert-add subtitle-get back to video window and continue till you are through. Edit save as .srt
Convert to other formats if needed, else use liquid's gui for DVD Author
http://www.videohelp.com/~liquid217/dvdauthorgui.pl
which accepts .srt files ( also other text file formats) and lets you select fonts

ukendt
7th July 2005, 00:45
Since there has not been any answers or requests to this thread, I'll change it to normal and the thread will not be found among "sticky" anymore