PDA

View Full Version : Video Capturing in My New Box

Jims@Home
16th September 2003, 07:52
Team,

I'm pretty sure this is my first post here so please be gentle...

After much research I went out last weekend and bought a Sony DVD Burner .

Anyway, I installed it in my P3 500 (I know slow dinosaur - but minimum spec for DVDRW Stuff ) but the Motherboard (It had some previous issues so it was suspect.) - or something wouldn't let it write the image to the second IDE Hard Drive. (Even though it would right smaller files over no sweat, but when the processor was being leaned on, it just froze up.) Anyway now I'm so annoyed :devil: at this Box I'm very seriously thinking of taking the plunge and buying this:

Intel P4 2.8GHz CPU 800MHz FSB(HT Technology)

Mainboard: Asus P4P800 DX i865PE, IEEE1394, 8xAGP USB2.0
Memory: 512MB PC3200 DDR400 (Dual Channel DDR)
Harddrive: 2 X 80GB Serial-ATA 8MB ATA150 7,200rpm
Video: Asus GFX5200 128MB 8xAGP card TVout & Video In**
Audio: Integrated 6-channel 3D
Network: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
Case: 18" 300w Front USB Tower
*CD-RW / DVD Combo: LG 4480B 48x24x48 (Write)x(Rewrite)x(Read)16x DVD
*Keyboard: Logitech Elite Duo Wireless
*Mouse: Logitech Elite Duo Wireless Optical
*DVD Writer Sony DW-U10A : DVD-R & +R 4X Rewriter + CDRW
*Monitor Sony 21 Inch 520GS Multiscan
*Speakers: Altec Lansing ATP 3 Speakers w/ Subwoofer

OPTIONS: Intel P4 3.0GHz CPU 800MHz FSB adds about $125 US
OPTIONS: TV@nyWhere MasterT V-Tuner Remote adds about $50 US

*Already purchased – CDRW/DVD Combo & Sony DVDRW need to install those and my IDE Hard Drive Drawer.
**Need V9520 Home Theater or Video Suite Version, Or MSI 8894 GF4 Ti4200-VTD Or ?????????

My real question is the Video Capture Card. I want to transfer some (NTSC) VHS Tape to DVD but don't want to lose any quality ( ? ) or over pay for the card. (Hence the choices above.) I'm really not too much of a gamer anymore, and I'd suspect almost anything that would play the new games (especially NHL2004 - I'm a Canuck remember :p ) will probably suffice. Should I jump up to an ATI AIW or just a simple card that will take an analogue input (SVHS & Composite are preferred.)

I'd also like to keep the main video card an 8X AGP to utilise the board's capability later with newer games and such. I'd like a card that isn't macrovision enabled (Can you defeat this in software instead?) as I've heard the ATI cards are (dam Canadians :p ).

I'd love to hear from the folks here as I really value your opinions and experience. Please Help. Thanks.

Regards,

Jim :cool:

IJM
16th September 2003, 10:17
Hi,

I do VHS to DVD work too.

Seeing as you have Firewire on that motherboard, it might be worth considering a Canopus ADVC-100 for capturing. This is an analogue to DV conversion device, which also has a built-in Macrovision defeat facility.

My only other suggestion to you (from personal experience) is to get more disk space. Yes, more! :eek: I know that two 80Gb drives seem like a lot, but I found that I needed much more than that. I'd consider at least a pair of 180Gb drives.

Ian.

echooff
16th September 2003, 15:43
I agree with IJM. I have a 160 gig and a 80 gig and run out of room if I don't manage it carefully.

joshyg2
17th September 2003, 01:37
i agree,

I have:
2x Western Digital 120 gb (7200rpm 8mb Cache) on RAID 0

If I dont burn something everyday, I run out of space.

Jims@Home
14th April 2005, 08:25
Team,

I just thought I'd update this post. The Post of Hard Drive capacity were very valid. I now have 400 Gigs :D and most of the Base Hardware in my original post.

I eventually gave up on a special Video Capture Card (but I got the MSI 8894 GF4 Ti4200-VTD ) as my VHS Camcorder died right after I built this Box, and I got a Panasonic 3CCD DV Camcorder which allows me to pass through Analogue Source (Think VHS VCR)without any issues.

I quickly tossed the Sony DVD Burner as it never made it to Spec for DVD+Rs. I got a Plextor PX-708a and have been a very happy Burner since. Now I am comtemplating moving to a PX-716a but amy consider the new BenQ 1625 with it's new DVD Labler system (Developed by HP as I remember.).

I'm now quite a DVD maker for Home Movies. I certainly enjoy reading this Forum.:)Thanks for the assist.