PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem - Missing stuff on DVD

CdinT
15th September 2003, 23:56
I really don't know how to name this thread and even if this is the place to write it. If it's not please move it.

I noticed on The Bourne Identity (2002), Spy Game and I think on LotR 1, that there are some writings missings.

I saw this 3 movies on Cinema and (discussion of illegally owned movies deleted by moderator).

In Spy Game the hour until the execution of Bradd Pitt and the locations like CIA Headquarters appeared burned on the movie.
In Bourne Identity also there were various locations with subtitles and even some nice graphics writings above the images when
the CIA team send messages to 3 hitmans in 3 different cities. And at the start of the movie for example there was "Mediterranean Sea, 50 miles south of France".
And in LotR the elvish talks.

Now I've got the original PAL DVD's and those things are gone.
I ripped the subtitles and I found all the missing dialogues and announcements but of course, not with special characters and sizes
and moving graphic. :(

I hope you understand what's the problem, even with my bad english. :)

PS: The DVD's don't have multiple angles with the same lenght.

jggimi
16th September 2003, 02:40
You are correct, this is the wrong forum. I am moving this to the Subtitle forum.

In addition, Doom9 has a Guide (http://www.doom9.org/forcedsubs.htm) for forced subtitles, which may answer some, if not all, of your concerns.

Please review the forum rules (http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm) when you have a chance, paying close attention to rules 1, 2, 3, 6, and 9.

Thank you.

CdinT
16th September 2003, 11:36
sorry, my mistake.

but this is not about forced subs.
I told you in Bourne Identity there are some nice computer moving writing (like they do in the movies :) ) above the images. This is part of the movie not some subtitle. And now in my DVD is gone.
Can someone tell why or if has encountered something like this before?

CdinT
18th September 2003, 01:41
I'm more and more sure that this is actually not subtitles related.
(not DivX5 either -where I initially wroted this post- maybe to Decrypting or to "Unexplained Phenomena" :angry: & :confused: )

If the moderator could just let me attach some screenshots (tiny 110kb archive) it would be more clear to somebody what the problem is.

ukendt, pretty please...

oddyseus
18th September 2003, 18:54
Due to forum software restrictions, noone is allowed to attach anything for the time being. U can upload the images to the space your isp has provided to you and give us the link to check them out.

CdinT
18th September 2003, 20:54
Thanks for reply and idea.

http://www.computergames.ro/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=34236849

Originally posted by oddyseus
ps. respect the forum rules, read, search and only then post.

ps to ps: now that you mention it... please don't take the rules to absurdity. I mean just writing that I saw a divx screener :p is considered a "(discussion of illegally owned movies)" and is "(deleted by moderator)". Come on...

Ollie W. Holmes
19th September 2003, 04:10
Originally posted by CdinT
I told you in Bourne Identity there are some nice computer moving writing (like they do in the movies :) ) above the images. This is part of the movie not some subtitle. And now in my DVD is gone.

This is only a guess, but since Pal has to handle a good deal of Europe, where English is not the spoken language, such moving titles in the body of the picture (not at the beginning) might appear intrusive if the dvd has subtitles in a non-english language which more or less describe what you see in the US version. Anyone know how to read German to see if this is so?

oddyseus
19th September 2003, 20:14
These r the rules of the forum and their purpose is to protect the existence of it. I am afraid that we have to respect them and learn to live by them. Anyway mentioning this dvix screener thing didn't help a lot describing the problem u r facing. I am certain that u will agree that it was purely informational and all of us here at the community could help you either way.

Seeing the jpg u provided and judging from my own copy of Bourne ID the effect u r describing could be moving subs in the NTSC version the the pal one just has ommited.

On the other hand the possible explanation that they r burnt into the video and they r not any kind of subttiles, forced or not, is a far fetched one and I see no reason why the pal version has been edited to ommit them, unless the duration for the release in Europe is shorter than the American and some scenes r missing altogether.

CdinT
19th September 2003, 23:47
Ollie W. Holmes: You are right, in the Romanian subtitles (I don't know german either :) ) those messages appear. But if you have seen the screenshots especially the one with Barcelona, without that computer-for-dummies-graphic-thingie-with-big-buttons, I only get to see the subtitles with stuff like "Trasmitting" or "Message Received" but on the screen there is just the view of the city.

oddyseus: the screenshots are from exactly same moment in both versions of the movie. So there's no scene missing. And I'm sure there where burnt cause no subtitle can look and behave like that (not even those made for manga fansubs).

I'm gonna wait a few days, maybe somebody will now what's happening adn then I'll send a mail to the DVD manufacturer, Maybe they know. :)

killingspree
20th September 2003, 13:55
just an idea: have you checked if the DVD is multiangle?! perhaps you just ripped the wrong angle!

hth
steVe

CdinT
20th September 2003, 18:51
Originally posted by CdinT
PS: The DVD's don't have multiple angles with the same lenght.