PDA

View Full Version : Forced Subs to SSA

ZANGIEF
22nd August 2003, 02:41
Ok I have used doom9's guide on Forced subs using VobSub. I select all ( by right clicking) the forced subs and click save as. But it saves all the Subtitles, and its getting annoying. Is there a way just to save the forced subtitles? Because I save the subtitles as a ssa then have them permanently in the DivX movie.

Any Help would be great.

ZANGIEF

Tri
22nd August 2003, 13:06
Try opening the idx-file in your favorite text editor and set "only show forced subtitles" to on.

ZANGIEF
23rd August 2003, 03:01
So if I do that, then start up Subresynch and load the idx file. Only forced subs will be shown?

ZANGIEF
23rd August 2003, 23:31
Nope didnt work. I just want to extract the forced subs, convert them to a SSA file, then let them run while my virtualdub job is running.

fedge
26th August 2003, 16:21
WEll, this is what I did to fix that problem. (i have had the same experiance as you did. prog wouldnt save just the forced or selected subs.) I took an existing srt file and then rewrote it so that it was the forced subs i wanted at the times and etc.... I only had three subtitles to do.. and if you have like say 20-50 it may be more tedious... but its not that difficult.. just make sure you experiment with the timing.. some of mine show for 3 seconds some show longer.. some shorter.. etc etc...

vobsub aint a perfect program.. BUT its hard to complain when people make this shit for free for us to use.. as long as it half as works reliably.. i dont mind a couple of glitches...

ZANGIEF
27th August 2003, 08:29
Yeah I agree, I can't complain about the program. It does good. Well it looks like i'll have to do what you say.

I used to write down the times during the movie, then type it up myself, or extract the subs then delete the rest.

ZANGIEF
27th August 2003, 08:36
Also is there a way to add subs to an already made avi file?

Tri
27th August 2003, 20:51
Create either an srt or ssa subtitle file and give it the same name as the avi file (except for the extension). Place it into the same folder together with the avi file and install directvobsub. The latter should load automatically and display those subtitles during playback.

ZANGIEF
6th September 2003, 01:44
But i dont want to do that. I want to encode the video with the subtitles. Not have a seperate file for the subs.

unmei
6th September 2003, 03:55
Also is there a way to add subs to an already made avi file?

Of course, but you won't be able to save it in the AVI fromat again.
Soft subtitling (muxing text as a stream, like audio, not burning it into the picture). OGM files can hold SRT streams and Matroska files can hold SRT and SSA/ASS streams (and soon more formats i hope). You can do this with VirtualDubMod (or some muxer targeted for those frmats). In VDM you would want to select the DirectStreamCopy method to avoid losing video quality by recompressing. To add a subtitle stream go to Streams->Stream List and "Add" a subtitle file.