PDA

View Full Version : Capturing DVD Directly

Kevin Phoenix
13th August 2003, 08:00
I searched everywhere for a similar topic but couldn't find any that explained what I need. It's a rather simple question actually. I wanted to capture footage from my DVD player that is a theater system. I am using one of those video/audio left/audio right cords that is required for the capture device I am using (The Dazzle DVC 80). When I got into MGI VideoWave 4 (That came with it) and go to capture while running the DVD, I get no picture. I checked the sources, everything should be working. But I get no picture. Can someone help me out? Is it even possible to capture DVD from a DVD player?

I tried extracting the video from the DVD itself right on my computer but the whole process is just too complicated for me to grasp so I gave up on that.

communist
13th August 2003, 09:14
Yes it is possible. First check if you even get a signal from your DVD player. If not replace the DVD player with VCR just to make sure where the problem lies. I know some people have been doing this before - but thats it.

Also can you use DScaler to preview things on that card (dont know anything about it :p)? You may also want to try Vdub / VdubMod and see if its a software problem.

Extracting and recompressing to mpeg4... is not such a difficult process. You just have to read through the guides and if there is a question search the forum - most time questions are the same and already answered.

ppera2
13th August 2003, 15:44
Kevin Phoenix:

I suggest to you that forget capturing from DVD player, and do it by ripping DVD on computer. It's nothing more complicated than capturing analogue video, and result will be much-much better.
Just get some software like Gordian Knot for beginning, see guides...

dvd_maniac
13th August 2003, 15:59
I've done this before and the result is not worth the time saved. Ripping is better. I had to disable macrovision on my ATI AIW capture card to be able to get a signal. I am not suRE about your capture device though.

homersapien
13th August 2003, 18:36
Originally posted by Kevin Phoenix

I tried extracting the video from the DVD itself right on my computer but the whole process is just too complicated for me to grasp so I gave up on that.

Its going to be easier than what you're currently trying to do. The Guides on the Doom9 main page give you step by step instructions for ripping DVDs.