PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Video 4.0

ShaneZ
2nd August 2003, 21:29
Well, it seems as if I have found an almost completely new forum. I am glad to have found it. I have been comparing NLE's and I am just trying to figure out the best one to use. I tried Premiere 6.5 and everytime I rendered a project the video came out blocky. This is supposed to be one og the best for Windows. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Demi9OD
4th August 2003, 17:14
You are going to have to provide a ton more details. Are you resizing your video at all, and if so are you using bilinear resizing? Are you talking about macro blocks? If so increase the bitrate of whatever codec you are using. Make sure you are not doing any framerate conversion or telecining unless you know you want to...

Good luck :D

ShaneZ
5th August 2003, 00:11
Originally posted by Demi9OD
You are going to have to provide a ton more details. Are you resizing your video at all, and if so are you using bilinear resizing? Are you talking about macro blocks? If so increase the bitrate of whatever codec you are using. Make sure you are not doing any framerate conversion or telecining unless you know you want to...

Good luck :D

Yes I suppose I was a bit vague. :D I am mainly transferring capped video to DVD so I am converting the mpeg to the elementary streams (m2v and ac-3). I had tried Premiere, but after playing around I found that I liked the features in Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video much more.

I do look forward to playing around with After Effects, but that is another story. :)

GParent
3rd September 2003, 04:03
I too have been using Vegas 4 as my first and only NLE. I can't compare it to anything else but it seems to be feature rich. I am now doing a 20 hour render of a 60 minute video with a Video FX chain of 4 filters, a Motion FX to rescale the frame, and a two filter Audio FX chain. I don't get any blocky output but the moderator is 100% on the money, regards Codecs, et al. I never imagined how important experimenting with Codecs was before. It can make all the difference. Once you find the right Codec, be uniform and generally adopt it throught your project development.

A couple of notes.

(1) If you frame serve from Vegas 4 into your MPEG encoder, you're going to re-render your entire project for as many passes as you specified in the encoder. That could potentially take one to two days, in some long complex projects, as I shockingly experienced. I would opt for outputing an AVI file and then input that it into CCE, for example.

(2) Lastly, I tried outputing an uncompressed AVI file out of Vegas 4 and it generated a ripple effect on some parts of the MPEG file encoded by CCE. I never figured out what it was, but I stay away from uncompressed AVIs.