PDA

View Full Version : Making a DVD with several VCDs movies

gort9k
31st July 2003, 15:12
Well:
I don't know whether this cuestion has been made before.

I've got several movies encoded as VCD; what I'd like to do is to make a DVD with some VCD movies and a start menu to select any movie you want.

I reckon that as a VCD encoded movie takes about 1 giga, more or less, I could fit four movies into a single layer DVD.

Does anybody knows how to do it?

Thanks

oddyseus
31st July 2003, 16:36
Demux your audio and video from each vcd and reauthor them in your favorite authoring prog. Both audio and video r within dvd specs, so there won't be any problem authoring them. U have to build your self a menu though.

gort9k
31st July 2003, 21:24
Hola:

Thanks, Oddyseus, for your help. The problem (for me, and for you, I'm afraid) is that I am a complete beginner in this ripping encoding business.

In order to encode those movies as VCD, I used: SmartRipper, DVD2Avi, and TMPEnc, and, finally, VCDeasy (to create chapters and .cue and .bin files in order to record them into a CDR). You tell me that I have to DEMUX the files. TMPGEnc has a tool to demux, though it has two options: De-multiplex and Simple De-multiplex. Wich one do I have to use?

Thanks again

oddyseus
31st July 2003, 22:31
Simple demultiplex would suffice for vcd files, since there r no other streams present except for audio and video.

gort9k
1st August 2003, 00:07
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try. Surely will wreck a couple (more than that, I expect) of DVD disks.

dvd_maniac
3rd August 2003, 21:12
oddyseus:
Both audio and video r within dvd specs, so there won't be any problem authoring them

I thought the audio needs to be re-sampled to 48khz, since VCD aduio is not 48khz, how can the demuxed audio file be within specs?

gort9k:
Use besweet to re-encode the audio file.

Another option to look into is www.kvcd.net. I have fit 6 movies onto one dvd-r using this method and it's quality is comparable to VCD. They have a program ACP that automates the process from dvd to kvcd and with a little tweak it will make kdvd's. check out there site and see if it'll work for you...

oddyseus
3rd August 2003, 21:22
dvd_maniac I stand corrected :( Ofcourse u r right, audio needs to be resampled.

dvd_maniac
4th August 2003, 03:57
oddyseus:
I was just wondering if there was a new way to do it without this painful step. As I sometimes end up with unacceptable audio during resampling. Maybe if you have some ideas as to which program and settings to use would be benificial to both gort9k and I....

oddyseus
4th August 2003, 14:59
get svcd2dvdmpg program from cheesyboy, there is a thread in svcd forum by him that links to the program. It undertakes the task of pathching the video, a thing that u don't need since u r within dvd specs :) and transcoding audio to 48khz mepg2 audio.

It is quite easy to use and save u all the hassle. U just press a key and wait for it to finish.

dvd_maniac
4th August 2003, 18:28
I will definitely give it a shot...

Zhnujm
4th August 2003, 18:34
Or try TMPEG DVD Author.
Just import the vcd files and thats all, it does the reencoding for you. (and creates a menu if you want)

dvd_maniac
5th August 2003, 01:45
doesn't TMPGenc re-encode the video back to 720x480? Wouldn't this create a quality problem streching out the video?

Zhnujm
5th August 2003, 14:22
No, TMPEG DVD Author does not (and cannot) reencode the video, it just resamples the audio. The VCD resolution is in the DVD Specs so any DVD Authoring Programm should be able to create a DVD with such a resolution.
SVCDs are another thing, you have to patch them first if you want to use them with DVD Author, but its still a very easy way to create DVD out of your SVCDs.

dvd_maniac
5th August 2003, 22:48
So DVD Author will just take the vcd video file as is without changing any settings? That's great. I will try it...

Zhnujm
6th August 2003, 16:00
The bad thing is that it is a bit sensitive about non-standard files...

petesimon
10th January 2004, 22:06
I want to put many VCD files on a DVD using DVDlab or similar software, display a simple menu, play and navigate the videos as if I were playing a real VCD on CD-R media.
See here on MMBforums. (http://mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21983&highlight=#21983)
:sly: