PDA

View Full Version : Can subs be on an AVI but one has the ability to turn them on and off?

magomago
31st July 2003, 06:14
Hey - I've been reading doom9 and still cannot find a definitive answer though the cloest thing i found was this ( http://doom9.org/index.html?/dvobsub.htm )

Anyways I'm wondering if I can add subs to a AVI (xvid encoded) without having to "burn them" on the video permanently....but I'm wondering if these subs can be added to the actual AVI itself and then turn them on and off instead of having to work with seperate files.

Does that make any sense at all? Thanks

EDIT:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22121&highlight=selectable+sub+avi

Should've searched the forums too :eek:

magomago
31st July 2003, 11:32
perhaps I spoke too soon....

I got my video done and muxed a SSA file ( i spent a while editing it too :\ ) and I cannot get Windows Media player OR Zplayer(zoomplayer) to show the subs.

It confirms its there and in the "language" I have the option of turning on/off subs but the subs don't seem to appear...

any help please?

bond
31st July 2003, 11:51
try avi-mux too

unmei
31st July 2003, 18:00
if your computer is not one of the newest, it might be VSfilter works too slow to display in time if you selected "prebuffer subtitles" ( i think its enabled by default). This happened to me and with this checkbox disabled, they are pretty fluent now. (it was in .mkv tho, not .avi, but this switch should have nothing to do with the container format :)

daynight
31st July 2003, 21:21
Hi guys. As far as I know (and forgive my poor knowledge), to have selectable subs with avi files you need to have DirectVobsub (included in GKnot system package) installed. If the clip is named video.avi then the sub file must be named video.sub or video.eng.sub etc and placed in the same folder. If the above are met then you 'll see an icon (a greenish arrow) down-right of your pc screen every time you open your avi with a player like Windows media Player or zoom player for selecting/deselecting subs or even changing size etc. Many formats supported included subs "burned" in the avi with ...\vobsub\submux.exe.
Regards

unmei
3rd August 2003, 15:10
you shouldn't call these "burned" just because the subtitle stream is inside the video file.
Burned subtitles are those you permanently add to the picture using a virtual dub or avisynth filter. Burned subtitles cannot be switched on or off, they are always visible. Whereas "soft" subtitles can be muxed into the video file or reside in a external file.
And VobSub (VSFilter.dll) can handle many formats, both text and picture based.

Naming the external subs the same as the movie file has the advantage that VSfilter will load it automatically when you open the movie. But the subtitles can have any name, you then need to select the file in the VobSub configuration panel (not handy..so naming right is a good idea, but naming different can be useful if you want to prevent auto-loading for these subs)

daynight
3rd August 2003, 17:53
Oh! seems that quotation marks (" ") in "burned" have been not enough to be my saving grace. Thanks "unmei" for clarifying.