PDA

View Full Version : Sound de-noising

stargate
24th July 2003, 02:07
I was wondering if anything can be done so I can get noise-free sound in my captures. My cable company doesn't air stereo and this results in noise on all Philips tuners (tv or tv-cards). I've tried forcing mono on my captures but the noise is still there. What software can I use to get rid of the sound noise just like I am doing with denoising (for video) in avisynth? Is there even possible to do this? It gets rather annyoing to have great video quality but worst sound possible. Perhaps BeSweet has some hidden switches? :)

chemmajik
24th July 2003, 07:38
Best way to solve it is use a VCR with or without stereo & capture thru your line in, has worked for me for many years! Computer tuners are so suceptible to noise from fans, cheapo psu's, cheap axx sound cards, etc Heck being to close to a dryer...

stargate
24th July 2003, 10:30
Thanks for the reply, but this is not the case in my situation. It is strictly the cable company's fault. The noise is present on a large range of TVs and tv-cards regardless. Anyway, I don't have a VCR at my disposal for the moment.

FredThompson
24th July 2003, 12:06
Go to my links list (in the sig), get Audacity from the audio section and also the free VST noise gate. Try that. A noise gate lets you set a minimum volume threshold. Anythign below that is tossed.

stargate
24th July 2003, 18:40
Thanks, FredThompson!
For the ops: sorry for posting in the wrong section. :)

snowmoon
24th July 2003, 20:12
Noise gates are ok, but they only work for no-audio sections. I once used cool edit to actaully de-noise sound clips from a SO's masters project ( baby sounds recorded on a simple tape deck ). It used a FFT de-noise routine that just needed to be calibrated against a background noise sample ( 1 second from what should be 100% quiet ). It was very good at removing the continuious hiss in the background. With my ears I did hear some tinning though ( no one else did ).

FredThompson
24th July 2003, 20:21
Yes, of course. It's also entirely possible there's a proper de-noising VST plug-in which is free. I like DartPro for this type of thing. If the sound is lousy to begin with, a noise gate can make it more apparent. The advantage is it's free.