PDA

View Full Version : Can i connect my Sky Digibox to my capture device's S-Video input this way?????

KO3:16
16th July 2003, 21:58
ok basically i have Sky Digital, and i recently bought a Video capture device >> http://www.miglia.com/products/video/director2/index.html and i would like to connect these two together so i can capture video onto my computer.

Now the inputs which i have on this capture device are composite video inputs and an S-Video input. On the back of my Sky digibox i have only 2 SCART output sockets. So i figured that it would be logical to get this cable to do the job >> http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av16.html

However, some people i talked to about this said that this might not work, that the SCART socket on the digibox might not even output S-Video signal, that if i do get video going through the s-video cable it wont be "TRUE" S-Video signal or quality, that it would only basically be composite signal, that i might need a signal converter but even that might not give me "true" S-Video signal, etc etc. So all of this basically in the end leaving me very confused about this whole issue.

So i'd really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this whole situation for me, hopefully making things a bit clearer on this whole issue and how i can solve this problem. Thanx.

wotef
17th July 2003, 01:22
you'd be better off just getting a scart-to-composite (or plain jane composite-to-composite) lead

the scart to s-video lead will work, but it will be a composite output from the digibox...this is still fine, you can still plugin into your capture card's s-video input BUT your capture application needs to be able to understand it's a composite signal even though it's coming through the s-video input (virtualdub can do this), otherwise you'll get just black-and-white

which brings me back to my first sentence...

p.s. don't forget stereo phono-to-phono for the audio

17th July 2003, 01:39
Originally posted by wotef

the scart to s-video lead will work, but it will be a composite output from the digibox

So you are definitely saying that the SCART sockets on the digibox do NOT output S-Video signal?? If this is the case, then im guessing that any sort of "converter" which would plug into the SCART and have an s-video output socket on the other end would NOT be outputting TRUE S-Video signal, but rather just composite video signal through an s-video lead?? is this accurate?

Originally posted by wotef
your capture application needs to be able to understand it's a composite signal even though it's coming through the s-video input otherwise you'll get just black-and-white

well, the way the miglia directors cut (the capture device) works is that it converts all incoming video from whatever source to DV format, and it connects to my computer via firewire, so my computer just recognises the device as a normal DV device (like a camera) and recognises the incoming data as digital video just like as if it were from a DV camera, so i dont think there would be such a problem.

dar1us
17th July 2003, 01:47
Welcome to the forum, I consider myself quite the expert on SKY Digital and capturing it.

If you don't have a dedicated S-Video out on the back of your box, then you cant get an S-Video signal out of it. A Scart to S-Video lead will create a poor quality black and white picture.

A scart to Composite will work fine, but the quality is nothing in par to a pure S-Video signal as I use. A few Sky Digital boxes have pure S-Video (dedicated) sockets on the back, they are the Grundig "/2", 2000 and 3000 series (I have a 310/2 and a 3000). Both of the SKY+ boxes also have S-Video out.

On the subject of audio, the box has a red and white phono output on the rear so a cable can be a simple SCART>Composite Out. I have a IXOS S-Video lead, and a IXOS SCART > 6 phono's, Composite audio/video in/out.

harrison

wotef
17th July 2003, 01:49
i'll restate that - i don't believe any digibox outputs s-video via scart (my panasonic certainly doesn't) but i know for sure the only way to guarantee true s-video output is for it to have an s-video output, and there are only a handful of such boxes that i know of

this is the best place to verify it:
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/f/11/471c551c76e837bc1b8ecce69ea6397ads.html

17th July 2003, 06:41
Originally posted by dar1us
A Scart to S-Video lead will create a poor quality black and white picture.

A scart to Composite will work fine

harrison

just an extra piece of info : previously i had connected my Sky to a WinTV card via S-Video with the use of an "adapter". It was an adapter exactly like this : http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030717052536951&moduleno=13372&Products=1
it goes into the scart and on the other side i connected the s-video cable to it and the other end to my wintv card, and it worked just fine, it wasnt black and white or anything, was in colour. But my guess now (correct me if im wrong) is that, as there apparently isnt s-video signal output from the scart socket, then the signal which left the adapter through the s-video plug wasnt actually a "true" s-video signal, and was actually more a composite signal travelling through an s-video cable instead. So basically i could have just used a composite cable and got the same signal / video quality ? have i got this right or is it not quite accurate and has another explaination???

dar1us
17th July 2003, 08:47
It's nice to see were all up at the crack of dawn... Actually, I couldn't sleep and watched all 3 hours of Shackleton; cracking stuff.

Yes, you were seeing the composite video signal probably. With my old card, when I selected composite I got it in coulour, but the noise problems created by composite were evident yet it was via S-Video.

I havn't come across any devices that emit a S-Video signal via SCART.

S-Video SKY Digital Satellite boxes are avalible 2nd hand on Ebay for under about 40 quid.

It's 7:49, I think it's bed-time. Must be awake by 1pm though, got to watch my TDF (tour de france) or I will be angry when I find that ITV have better things to show at 1:50 in the morning like Tales of the Crypt last night, missing ALL of the days action:(. Never mind

harrison

18th July 2003, 00:42
Originally posted by dar1us

I havn't come across any devices that emit a S-Video signal via SCART.

hmm, yes maybe scart adapters won't output "true" s-video signal, but what about converters??? I've heard about signal converters which can plug into the scart socket and convert RGB signal to S-Video out signal. any info on this?? is there actually such a thing and can it really convert RGB signal to true S-video????

18th July 2003, 03:21
infact just looking around now, i found this >>> http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/rgb-sv/rgb-circuit.htm which i think is exactly what i was talking about . any comments on this?? does this actually work?? would it be a good choice?? is it what i want???

oook
20th July 2003, 00:52
I've been getting excellent results with this...

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?RGB2S

dar1us
20th July 2003, 02:52
Could it really be a viable buy at 80 quid or whatever they sell it for if you can get a SECOND box with dedicated S-VHS for 40 quid or less. Nothing will beat that quality.

harrison

oook
20th July 2003, 20:05
S-VHS only outputs composite signal?

dar1us
20th July 2003, 22:36
?? I dont know what on earth you mean:)

harrison