PDA

View Full Version : Clear My Confusion

dvd_maniac
10th July 2003, 06:52
I was wondering how to find out all the specs on my captured video file. I use the ATI AIW 9700 Pro. What program can I use to find out all the information on the files it produces.
EX. It is interlaced/deinterlaced, progressive. is it true 29.97. (If not why the 3:2 pulldown in MMC).
This will give me a good starting point to learn. I am trying to put as much video onto a dvd-r as possible from my recordings without losing TOO much quality.

jggimi
10th July 2003, 15:17
Typically, analog to digital capture is either to an AVI container or MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. The analog signal is sent as separate fields: 50 fields per second PAL, 59.94 per second NTSC. Whether or not individual frames appear interlaced or appear progressive will depend on the source.

I live in an NTSC country. Any broadcast content here that I capture will either have been Telecined (if originally shot on film) or will be interlaced (if originally shot on video). I've yet to capture analog video that looks 100% progressive, though it is possible.

In order to determine what I have is Telecined or Interlaced, a manual frame-by-frame analyis is required. This IVTC tutorial (http://www.doom9.org/ivtc-tut.htm) describes how to do those.