PDA

View Full Version : capture using dv camcorder

maxwell3
15th June 2003, 00:01
I was considering using a dv camcorders passthru to capture from an analog source and I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to make some suggestions on a particular model that may work well . Perhaps someone has tried this and can comment

sych0
15th June 2003, 03:44
Im not exactly sure if the quality varies from model to model or anything, but i own a Sony TRV-33 which allows me to capture from an analog source (in this case a tivo) and then transfer it to my pc just as i would regular dv video.

One thing ive been wondering about though, is I have a Radeon 9700 AIW and im curious which has the better quality capturing.

maxwell3
15th June 2003, 18:12
I suppose the best way to tell would be a test of the two . I would be very interested in the result so if you try this please PM me and let me know

FredThompson
15th June 2003, 22:37
I have a Canon 25 and a 65. The 65 does passthru, the 25 does not. Both have been used for transfer via DV tape.

Color and clarity are fantastic. However, there is a tendency for the edge of a CG graphic to get jumpy and it's VERY visible, even if the capture is reduced to 1/2 D1 resolution.

There are praise reviews of the Canopus DV converter but they always say it boosts playback so I don't know if it's easy to tell what the real character of the conversion will be like. They also don't mention the problem I just did.

There's a new HD camcorder from JVC which uses MPEG-2 onto DV tapes and it might give better performance but costs about $4000.

I'm currently doing direct extraction from a DirecTiVo and passthru conversion with an ADS Instant DVD 2.0 MPEG-2 device because it doesn't have the dancing pixels.