PDA

View Full Version : Sub/idx to ssa?

OnkelD
13th June 2003, 00:41
Is there any way to convert the sub/idx format to ssa?

/OnkelD

Schultz
13th June 2003, 14:55
Yes you can use SubRip which can be found on Doom9's download page. Or you can use SubResync that is installed if selected with the VobSub package. which you can also get at doom9's downloads if you don't have the vobsub package.

OnkelD
13th June 2003, 18:56
Thanks...

I have been playing around a bit with SubRip now... It seems to decode the BMP fine. But is there a way in this program to change the format from NTSC to PAL?

/OnkelD

Demi-god
13th June 2003, 23:13
SubResync quits after I open any sub/idx and choose "Save as". How about that?

Is converting idx/sub to ssa a way to retain the original subs(that is, without going through OCR)? If not, is there ANY way to do that, I mean muxing idx/sub in some form to matroska?

Schultz
13th June 2003, 23:13
It shouldn't be needed to change the Subs.. since they are time based.. What is the method you are using ot change from NTSC to Pal though?

OnkelD
14th June 2003, 03:33
Playing around with SubRip I noticed that it exported directly to Scenarist srt format (and rendered the subs as .bmp), thus saving me a step in the process.

The first problem is that Scenarist files are frame based.

The second problem is the resolution... I think NTSC is 720x480 and the subtitles are being prepared to be put on a PAL DVD, and PAL has a resolution of 720x576...

Thus the need for a conversion...

/OnkelD

Schultz
14th June 2003, 03:59
Ok sorry yea you would need to do a conversion like that.. And sorry i can't help you in that part.. Since i always deal with NTSC.. sorry..

Schultz
14th June 2003, 04:03
Originally posted by Demi-god
SubResync quits after I open any sub/idx and choose "Save as". How about that?

Is converting idx/sub to ssa a way to retain the original subs(that is, without going through OCR)? If not, is there ANY way to do that, I mean muxing idx/sub in some form to matroska?

No idx/sub -> ssa is using OCR to go to a text format. and i think right now only srt or utf8 subs can be put into matroska but not fully sure because i haven't looked into it.

unmei
18th June 2003, 12:00
yes atm only srt in utf-8 encoding in matroska (mkvmerger can convert if the srt is ansi or the like), but picture based subtitles are "on the list" - it's a matter of time :)